Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's Helmet?

From
    cotati ca 94931 sonoma county

Who's Helmet?

my question is who's helmet is better? the helmets made by Rubies or by Don Post?

From
    Moesko Island

Re: Who's Helmet?

Look for a MSH 2 or a Marrow_Sun bucket

From
    Earth

Don Post is better and more exspensive than Rubies.

From

where do i find a marrow sun bucket?

From
    Moesko Island

PM sent.

cal196 wrote:

Actually, the weird part is that this isn't always true. I've seen a DP95 go for as little as $25 US on Ebay while seeing a still in the box Rubies Jango go for $120 US. As I've always said, Ebay is a crazy place.

T-Visor wrote:

Look for a MSH 2 or a Marrow_Sun bucket
    Chances of finding an MSH 2 are very slim. I've been asking for ages, no joy, so I am building my own MSH bucket.

From

tell me what you think, it'll get repainted to my custom design but i like it.

::EDIT:: active auction replaced with picture from auction

From
    Auckland, New Zealand

Jodo_Kast wrote:

cal196 wrote:

Actually, the weird part is that this isn't always true. I've seen a DP95 go for as little as $25 US on Ebay while seeing a still in the box Rubies Jango go for $120 US. As I've always said, Ebay is a crazy place.
    Yeah I got a '95 for $27 just a week after getting a rubies for $60. I was happy.. yet strangely annoyed.

bobamaker wrote:

Chances of finding an MSH 2 are very slim. I've been asking for ages, no joy, so I am building my own MSH bucket.
    You are better off with a Marrow_Sun or Mystery Helmet anyway.

From
    Earth

Quote:

Ya but I didnt wanted to get his hopes up.

From
    Moesko Island

Luther-X wrote:

tell me what you think, it'll get repainted to my custom design but i like it.
    That's a DP Deluxe recast. The first step to a better looking bucket.

::EDIT:: auction link removed from quote

From

if that one doesn't work out what do you think aboot this?

http://shop.starwars.com/Product/Pro...?ProductID=136

From
    Clarkston, Michigan

tylerdurden wrote:

You are better off with a Marrow_Sun or Mystery Helmet anyway.
    Why do you say that? IIRC when the MSH2 came out it was the end-all, be-all of helmets. I believe there was even a comparison thread that looked at the top three helmets.

Let me see if I can find it ... here it is:
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=7769&forum=2

Not trying to argue with you tyler, just want your opinion.
    Gator

No prob at all!

I recommend the Marrow_Sun or Mystery helmet because it has the closest lineage to the screen-used helmets.

The size, shape, and features all show a helmet that was once cast from a screen-used helmet, but that has been cleaned up, modified, and is a couple generations down from the orignal.

The dent on a Marrow_Sun or Mystery helmet is pretty much identical to the real dent; it's also the same dent as on the DP deluxe, but the DP deluxe is modified more severely than the Marrow_Sun and Mystery to really qualify for the comparison. The same cannot be said for the MSH2 dent, which was sculpted.

One can apply the example above to just about any part on the Marrow_Sun/ Mystery against the corresponding part on the MSH2- the majority of the MSH2 is a custom sculpt, whereas the Marrow_Sun/ Mystery helmet is a derivative of a real helmet.

From
    Clarkston, Michigan

Thanks. I do have a couple more questions for clarification, while I still have this thread highjacked . Sorry Luther-X.

Are the Marrow_Sun and Mystery helmets one and the same? If so, how can the lay-person identify the real deal, and not a recast? If not, what are the differences between the two?

Gator

Luther-X wrote:

if that one doesn't work out what do you think aboot this?

http://shop.starwars.com/Product/Pro...?ProductID=136
    It's a Rubies. Unless you have a child-sized head, you should look for something a bit larger.

From
    Corbin, Ky

I believe the true Mystery Helmet(Sgt. Fang) was an all resin cast where the Marrow_Sun is a fiberglass helmet. As for a comparison of the dimensions of the two helmets, I'm not sure.

From
    Earth

I dont know but your helmet is proof you can make a 95 DP look totaly awesome.

Yes, the Marrow_Sun and Mystery Helmet are essentially the same helmet, and as said above, the Mystery Helmet was produced in resin and the Marrow_Sun in fiberglass. Though, I find the Marrow_Sun helmet to be slightly sharper and in better shape the Mystery Helmet.

Unfortunately, there is really no clear indicator of a recast helmet. There is a fairly good chance that outside of a helmet produced by either Sarge or Marrow_Sun the helmet could be a recast, because they are the only two I am aware of that have found the original Mystery style helmets. However, some general tells of recasting include a suspiciously cheap price, soft features/ poor sharpness, size difference, and unusual warpage.

From
    Rancho Cordova, CA

Several recasted M_S buckets have shown up on ebay lately. And surprisingly, they're selling for quite a bit.

From
    Clarkston, Michigan

AFFoD & tylerdurden,
    Thanks for the clarification. One final question - Are either the Marrow_Sun or the MSH2 still being produced by the original makers?

C*E*N*O*B*Y*T*E,
    I noticed that ebay trend also. As others have stated, eBay is a crazy place.

Gator

From
    Green Bay, WI

I thought ALL versions of the mystery helmet were recasts. The origional wasn't fanmade, so how is it any different compared to a recast of a DP? It seems those ebay sellers are doing nothing that others haven't done here. Is there a difference?

Great question, JD. Yes, the current "Mystery style" helmets are both recasts off a finished helmet that were scuplted/cast/finished by someone else. That situation does put the recasting issue of "Mystery style" helmets on similar ground with the DP deluxe. HOWEVER, there is a caveat.

The two current producers of "Mystery style" helmets have had to do some clean-up and work to make the helmet a sellable item. So each one is unique and has a known producer, and as such, TDH will not condone recasting of either producers helmet.

How does one tell if they have one of these two producers helmets? Are there distinguishing characteristics that give them away before they are trimmed and primed (so to speak) for painting?

I bought a fiberglass helmet that was completely unfinished a month or so ago. It arrived in really rough shape- cracked, but fixable with some work. 'Looked like the delivery guy sat on the box. The seller said he had them for a fan movie that was never made a couple of years ago. He even shipped me another one to replace the damaged one at no cost to me. -Super nice guy, but i'm curious about the helmet's origin.