Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build?Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 15, 2015, 12:56 PM - Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #1

Who are your favorite helmet casters for a ROTJ build? Which do you think are most accurate?
    What are your opinions?

I built a Mandalorian in 2009, but I haven't revisited casters much since. Some are well advertised, but the most accurate are sometimes difficult to find. =)
    This time I'm targeting to build an accurate ROTJ Fett, using a metal RF stalk (for durability).
    I know there are many casters & recasters out there, so I'd like to narrow it down to some of the highest rated ones here.

Thank you!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Dec 15, 2015, 5:46 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #2

I went with bobamaker for my helmet on my rotj fett build. He has a long wait time coz he is one of the top most popular helmet and armor makers out there. I had to wait 6 months to get all my armor/helmet from him. I don't know how long the wait time is now on him.

Also I here that fettpride makes a good helmet to. I may try to find out if he does a jango helmet so I can have 1 from bobamaker and 1 from fettpride.

I'm sure some other dentheads here will know a few others here that recast some good helmets also.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Dec 15, 2015, 5:58 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #3

I'm wanting to know the same.
    I spoke to someone yesturday, and he has an Asok GMH and its shape is superb!.. AFAIK, bobamakers helmet is ESB due to the brow wave, whether your going for 100℅ screen accuracy or whether bobamaker does a Rotj lid, I dunno?

Anyway, hope you get some answers
    Dec 15, 2015, 6:11 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #4

I told bobamaker that I was doing rotj and I and I wanted that lid. I don't see that brow wave or that damage by the visor like the esb helmet.
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Dec 15, 2015, 6:15 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #5

That's good to know! Didn't know he did both thanks bud
  7. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Dec 15, 2015, 8:14 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #6

Fettprides FPH2 (ROTJ) its specific to ROTJ with all the physical damage already laid out perfectly....one of the best fiberglass work Ive ever seen. Quality stuff, but it comes with a wait. Its worth it though.
    Dec 15, 2015, 10:51 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #7

Wish I could chime in on Fettpride. Haven't gotten mine yet. Been over a year. Starting to wonder if I am going to get it.
    Dec 15, 2015, 11:28 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #8

Wow I thought 7 months I waited on bobamaker to make mine was a real long time. A year that's insanely a long time.
    I think I read on here that someone else has taken over fettprides work for some reason.
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Dec 16, 2015, 12:01 AM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #9

Quote fettfw3 said: View Post
    Wow I thought 7 months I waited on bobamaker to make mine was a real long time. A year that's insanely a long time.
    I think I read on here that someone else has taken over fettprides work for some reason.
    No, Fettpride sold molds for older helmets he no longer produces...some others like Asok and Animefan own those molds they sell their own casts of olders fettpride helmets like the budget helmet and premium....they aren't as accurate as the FPH2 however. And again FPs fiberglassing is superior from my experience. He has a lot of customers and a back log of work to catch up on....being a one man show and all. But like any master craftsman, his work is worth the wait. Ive waited patiently too...have gotten customers helmets before my own in the past. Hence Ive held a few FPH2s but don't have mine in hand yet.
    Dec 16, 2015, 4:40 AM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #10

Really disappointed with the FPH2 I owned. The built in damage is a nice touch but the overall flattened dome shape and exaggerated flare means it quickly leaves the realms of believability and I don't think should be considered accurate. The quality of the FG work on mine was reasonable but by no means exceptional and nowhere near as good as the stuff I have received from other quality makers (like BM). Personally I think the best option out there is something in the lines derived from the Master Replicas. In terms of overall size and shape it still knocks nearly everything else out there aside by a long way. The dent is a bit ill defined and large but overall it's still the king by a long way for me. Several makers, already mentioned, produce those.

I've yet to see a BM V3 in person. It looks nice in photo's but that means nothing in comparison to having it in hand. It seems to have a shape improvement over the v2 which had a definite mystery helmet look to it (itself a benchmark) and hopefully is bigger than his older helmets which seemed a little small. As mentioned it's ESB specific. I don't know if there's a vanilla option that you could customise to ROTJ.

I'm still a fan of the GMH and for a smaller person it works well; what Fettpride did in restoration to get from the father cast to the helmets he (and now others) offered was nothing short of miraculous. A great Base for any helmet for the smaller person.
    Last edited by intwenothor; Dec 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
  12. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 16, 2015, 1:09 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #11

Quote intwenothor said: View Post
    I'm still a fan of the GMH and for a smaller person it works well; what Fettpride did in restoration to get from the father cast to the helmets he (and now others) offered was nothing short of miraculous. A great Base for any helmet for the smaller person.
    What would you define as a "smaller person"? Are we talking shoulder width/girth or height & chin length? Is it for children and smaller women mostly?

I had a 'large' M-DSB helmet that fit me perfect, and one of the Asok helmets I saw was a fairly good fit, but the Saz helmet I had was WAY too big.

So I'm trying to figure out what helmet would be a good fit for me also. I'm 5'10", 40" chest, and 36" waist.

Thank you guys so much; this thread is very helpful!

I'm leaning towards a Bobamaker because of everyone speaking so highly & the aluminum RF stalk. I am still considering Asok and Fettpride though. I will have to look into those a bit more.

Does anyone know how M-DSB (or NME Props, or whatever the builder is now) accuracy is?
    Dec 16, 2015, 1:21 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #12

I'm 5'8"/5'9" 135 lbs and this is the GMH on me on the left, and the MR premium on me on the right. uploadfromtaptalk1450290069233-jpg
    Dec 16, 2015, 1:58 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #13

The GMH is just a smaller helmet overall (the original and the copies it spawned) although not necessarily a perfectly scaled down version of the helmet it traces it's lineage to; it isn't uniformedly smaller and has its own unique proportions although that said the overall shape is nice. I wouldn't describe it as being for women and children. Many a TDH member are happy with their GMH helmets and they're still in demand. I would describe 5'9"/5'8" (and under) and being under 12 stones as a smaller person. Based on the numbers you provide you sound about average in size. I suspect you could get away with the GMH but it might be a bit small.

What are the Saz and MDSB helmets? Am not familiar with these terms.

I can't comment on the size of the BM V3 helmets bease i haven't seen one in person. The older V2 helmets were certainly considered small.

I think all of the quality makers supply aluminium stalks these days (RS propmasters, Asok, Fettpride, BM, Darth Vorhees, and Animefan certainly do).

That's another name that often gets missed off: Darth Vorhees. To my understanding his helmet is a Master Replicas derivative with some added flare. Animefan and RS propmasters helmets are also MR based to my knowledge.

I'm not sure whether Asok is producing either the MR budget or the GMH at the moment. She hasn't been around for a while.
    Last edited by intwenothor; Dec 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM.
    Dec 16, 2015, 2:00 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #14

If you are looking for with the painting, Bobamaker very good.

Painting is great, and exactly on time.
  16. Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Dec 16, 2015, 3:59 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #15

I used buck Rogers for my helmet I got a lightweight helmet for $80 and painted it myself. Wait time was 6 days

Sent from my Mos Eisley Spaceport
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 17, 2015, 2:22 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #16

Quote Punisha said: View Post
    I used buck Rogers for my helmet I got a lightweight helmet for $80 and painted it myself. Wait time was 6 days

I bought a buck rogers TIE fighter pilot helmet, but it was smaller scale & based off of the Rubies. He did good work on it.
    What is his Boba helmet made after? GMH, Master Replicas?
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Dec 17, 2015, 11:30 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #17

I'm not sure actually.

Dec 18, 2015, 11:06 AM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #18

I'm in the market for a ROTJ helm as well. I just heard back from Bobamaker and apparently he won't be able to get a helmet out to me until October or November!
    Dec 18, 2015, 11:34 AM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #19

That's about right for him. That's the demand for the product. He has given me similar time frames and longer before. Always delivered.
    Dec 18, 2015, 11:46 AM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #20

Quote Kugruk said: View Post
    I'm in the market for a ROTJ helm as well. I just heard back from Bobamaker and apparently he won't be able to get a helmet out to me until October or November!
    I would look at the FP premium from animefan for that. The BM lid has the wavy brow, which is typically left for ESB builds. Obviously folks paint them in either style, but the FP premium does not have the wavy brow and seems to me a better choice for ROTJ
    Dec 18, 2015, 12:03 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #21

I was interested to see some posts higher up suggesting BM does a non esb version. Can anyone expand on that?
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 18, 2015, 12:53 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #22

So if I want a really good ROTJ replica, it sounds like a MR Premium mold is the way to go. And it sounds like the most accurate recasts of that are the Premium FP version offered by Animefan, darthvorhees, rs props, asok, and FP.

Does that sum it up well?
    Are there big differences in accuracy or quality amongst those builders? Pm me please if you don't want to publicly share that info.

Thank you all, this has been very helpful!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
    Dec 18, 2015, 1:11 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #23

Quote Kilryth said: View Post
    So if I want a really good ROTJ replica, it sounds like a MR Premium mold is the way to go. And it sounds like the most accurate recasts of that are the Premium FP version offered by Animefan, darthvorhees, rs props, asok, and FP.

Does that sum it up well?
    Are there big differences in accuracy or quality amongst those builders? Pm me please if you don't want to publicly share that info.

Thank you all, this has been very helpful!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
    That would be my assessment of what is currently available; the MR line is still the king and hasn't yet been bettered with the GMH working well for the smaller person. I can't comment on the BM V3. I wish someone would do an in depth writeup. It could be great. It might not be too, of course.

So far as I know the following people are definitely currently producing MR derivatives

Animefan
    Darth Vorhees
    RS PROPMASTERS

Asok produced the GMH and the budget MR with molded in ears. She hasn't logged in for months. So far as I know FP only offers his FPH2 line at this time. I have to say that I think the price of a painted helmet given by RS propmasters seems like great value (assuming the paint job is decent). Quality wise I'd be surprised if there was any outspoken descent against the producers mentioned. They all make good stuff. Animefan does a nice feature with in built ear attachments that I like as ear attachment can be a pain. It's a nice touch rather than a deal breaker and I couldn't say whether or not RS or DVH offer similar.
    Dec 18, 2015, 1:22 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #24

Some folks no longer have the aluminum stalks, but I know if you really want one Gav (MojoFett) still makes them and they're hollow, and fit the MR series. He's in the UK, but I got mine in 10 days from him. He doesn't come round here often anymore, but he was super pleasant to do business with.
    Dec 18, 2015, 1:37 PM - Re: Who are your favorite Helmet casters for a ROTJ build? #25

Quote syllander said: View Post
    I would look at the FP premium from animefan for that. The BM lid has the wavy brow, which is typically left for ESB builds. Obviously folks paint them in either style, but the FP premium does not have the wavy brow and seems to me a better choice for ROTJ
    I finally got a response from him and saw his beautiful FP cold casts. I am totally smitten and will be ordering next friday. I absolutely can't wait to get started.