Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Feb 27, 2011, 3:00 AM - What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #1

Long tiime Fett fan but finally have some money to start working on my Fett costume and thought I'd start with the helmet. I'm relatively new to the forum and was wondering which is the best ESB helmet to get me started. I have seen pics of the premium Fett Pride helmet and liked it alot, but thought he wasn't making those anymore. Which helmet is my best option??
    Feb 27, 2011, 3:28 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #2

I'm no expert, believe me. But before they arrive, I'd suggest you specify a few things for them e.g. price range, experience with tools and paint, hours willing to spend on it, etc. Personally I made mine from scratch, so you could give that a go.
  3. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Feb 27, 2011, 3:29 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #3

It depends on what you want to spend
    Best option going these days is Fett prides GMH and it a good price for what it is and you also have the option of adding metal ears an bordens. when avalible,
    Then there is the FP protto which is now being made by Asok comes with the ears and borden and MQ-1 attached , and he will be seeling them ready to go wit all parts need to finish the build, these are going to go for around 170 mark
    both of these are great helmets ,
    Feb 27, 2011, 3:38 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #4

I got mine from Bobamaker and it is awsome mate!
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:32 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #5

Thanks for the info the responses. Scratch build is defiinitely not an option for me, but experience with tools and paint isn't a problem. I'm willing to spend anywhere between $100-300. Basically looking for a good ESB helmet, definitely want the metal ears and RF stalk and upgraded Range Finder.
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:34 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #6

Size is also an issue. Want a realistic size. I'm 6ft and about 185 pounds so I need a helmet of an accurate size so I don't look like I have a little peanut head.
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:43 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #7

from jinto: "Then there is the FP protto which is now being made by Asok comes with the ears and borden and MQ-1 attached , and he will be seeling them ready to go wit all parts need to finish the build, these are going to go for around 170 mark both of these are great helmets ,"

question--Is the FP protto the same as the Premium "Mr Prottotype" that FParmor used to sell for about $335. Originally that was the one I was thinking of getting. Is Asok now selling that one and does he have a link/website or is he selling it in the cargo hold (still don't have access to that yet)?
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:45 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #8

Quote jinto said: View Post
    It depends on what you want to spend
    Best option going these days is Fett prides GMH and it a good price for what it is and you also have the option of adding metal ears an bordens. when avalible,
    Then there is the FP protto which is now being made by Asok comes with the ears and borden and MQ-1 attached , and he will be seeling them ready to go wit all parts need to finish the build, these are going to go for around 170 mark
    both of these are great helmets ,
    just a little correction. fp is still producing the premium prototype master replica. asok purchased the mold for the budget helmet, and will be producing them in coldcast. the budget has the ears and borden cast on the helmet, and the premium proto has neither the ears or the borden, but the full kit does include them to be attached as the owner sees fit.
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:51 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #9

Asok will be selling what was referred to as the FP Budget kit. Asok bought the mold from Chris a little while back. It should be a movie size or 1-1 ratio helmet. With the size you are it should work perfectly.

When you say you are willing to spend 100-300 are you saying for a finished helmet or for a kit? The Asok helmet will be in kit form...ie you get a great helmet in CC with all of the accessories needed to finish it out. All you will need to add is paint. If you want someone else to paint it I would tack on $200-$250 for a good painter to paint it up for you. You could still be close to your range but realistically you are looking at 350-400 for a pro painted Asok kit.

edit....aaannd saint_nasty sniped my post.....lol
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:53 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #10

here's a link to the asok cc boba: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/f...06/#post533676
    Feb 27, 2011, 4:55 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #11

In all fairness I had three kids talking to me and begging for peanut butter on toast and other important life altering things that slowed me down as I was typing the response about the budget helmet. Its not that tough to snipe me when it takes me forever to type out a simple post.
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Feb 27, 2011, 7:41 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #12

for metal ears all that you listed is gonna be over 300 just FYI...be mindful this is not a cheap hobby. And paint isnt cheap if your gonna have it done, takes MANY hours to paint a helmet, check out the what you should expect to pay in the costume forum
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Feb 27, 2011, 10:04 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #13

Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    Asok will be selling what was referred to as the FP Budget kit. Asok bought the mold from Chris a little while back. It should be a movie size or 1-1 ratio helmet. With the size you are it should work perfectly.

When you say you are willing to spend 100-300 are you saying for a finished helmet or for a kit? The Asok helmet will be in kit form...ie you get a great helmet in CC with all of the accessories needed to finish it out. All you will need to add is paint. If you want someone else to paint it I would tack on $200-$250 for a good painter to paint it up for you. You could still be close to your range but realistically you are looking at 350-400 for a pro painted Asok kit.

edit....aaannd saint_nasty sniped my post.....lol
    This is all good info; I thought FP was selling off both of the molds, but I guess not. The Asok CC looks realy nice...don't know if I want that one or the FP Premium. Either way I'm sure the wife will bulk. But my plan was to buy a kit and try to paint it myself...which will eventually lead me to pay someone a year from now because I too have to make PB&J for three kids (had to retype this twice...I timed out because I thought my kids were actually asleep)

and saint_nasty...thanks for the link.
  14. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Mar 1, 2011, 2:31 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #14

Ah this is exactly the info I was looking for. Currently I have an MR bucket, but I'm looking to upgrade. It was always meant to be a place holder. I dont have the skills to build and finish one myself, so I'm always on the lookout for a really nice finished ESB.
    Mar 13, 2011, 9:47 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #15

So the GMH sounds like the way to go for an accurate esb helmet base. how do I go about getting one?
    Last edited by KenChan; Mar 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM.
  16. Mar 13, 2011, 9:55 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #16

Go to the Cargo Hold section of the forums and look for the Grant McCune Helmet thread and read through the posts and then private message Fettpride with your order.
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Mar 20, 2011, 10:33 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #17

So is the FP premium prototype master replica or the FP GMH the way to go. I know some of it is presonal preference, but I'm looking for one that was more accurate to the movie (ESB), not the pre-production images.
  18. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Mar 20, 2011, 10:58 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #18

The GMH is a cast of a PP2 cast...the PP2 helmet and the ESB helmet WERE cast from the same mold bud...the GMH is THE most accurate helmet next to a real ILM used helmet
    Mar 20, 2011, 11:38 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #19

I keep seeing people say "next to a real ILM used helmet" If the GMH and the ESB and ROTJ all come from the same molds then the wording "next to" is misleading the GMH would be the most accurate helmet. Regardless of the paintjob on the helmet they are all the same, minus the scratches done to them for each different version. Correct?
  20. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Mar 21, 2011, 2:55 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #20

But the GMH didnt come from the same mold, isnt that obvious?
    the GMH came from a mold that no one really knows its origins but probably the original mold in the molding process used by Don Post But thats not even proven , all that is really know is it is from a mold made from the PP2
  21. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Mar 21, 2011, 5:45 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #21

Woodman its a third generation helmet...IE there was a mold made from something to produce the ILM helmets for the super troopers...then they turned those helmets into Boba Helmets someone took a mold of one of those helmets (the PP2) then created the GMH that ART has with that mold Chris took a mold of that massaged it and got what we call the GMH he then made a mold of that and is what he produces so its not 100% a cast of an ILM helmet...so you could get closer in theory. It IS the most accurate helmet available to us normal folk...and the real deal screen used prop is still the most accurate as it was used on screen
  22. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Mar 22, 2011, 8:41 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #22

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 kaane.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	51758I think this is a good visual that Kaane draw then posted but you need to add to add the original from which the pp2 came molds to it so technicaly it a 5th or 6 th gen frm the original
    How ever its safe to say that in the current form it is at its best likeness of the original
    And is the closest in hard linage to the real thing ,
    Last edited by BGHunter; Mar 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
  23. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Mar 23, 2011, 2:24 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #23

Quote jinto said: View Post
    ...And is the closest in hard linage to the real thing ,
    You must add "available to the masses" at the end of your post.
  24. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Mar 23, 2011, 11:28 PM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #24

Of cause , I guess i think that goes with out saying
    Mar 24, 2011, 6:11 AM - Re: What's the best ESB Helmet to get? #25

And if you are wanting a PURE ESB helmet...and lineage isn't really a concern, you would want to get either a BobaMaker or a MSH2 (If you can find one) since these particular helmets were sculpted strictly for Empire (i.e.-wavy brow). Also since the MSH2 was a 'bigger' bucket you wouldn't have the peanut head look.