1. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 24, 2007, 12:40 PM - What type of Bondo? #1

    I've been watching these forums for awhile and I finally decided to start building my bucket. I've built it out of cardboard and I was wondering what type of bondo would be the best to use? I saw the tut that said lightweight spackling paste but I'm not exactly sure that that's the best route. The paste says it won't crack or whatever but I always hear people say bondo so I figured I would investigate.

    Thanks for any help ahead of time.

  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Nov 24, 2007, 9:12 PM - Re: What type of Bondo? #2

    Your best bet is the "car body filler" type of bondo. It is not difficult to work with at first, more like the consistency of thick mud or the like, but once it dries, be prepared to sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand....and sand some more.

    I've never heard of people using spackling to be honest. Like you I've always heard bondo. Use bondo, apply and let dry in an open space, and either buy or borrow a rotary or mouse sander to help you take down that bondo to a nice smooth finish.

    Remember heavier grain first and then move it up gradually to the finer grain. I've always heard 80grain to begin with and then move up gradually to 300 grain.

    You will end up with some air bubbles and low spots, for that use the glazing putty they sell right next to the body filler stuff. Also, make sure you get another stick of the hardener. The one supplied never seems to be enough to finish the container.

    I haven't personally used this stuff yet, I'm still in the build sintra framework part, but I've been gearing up for it. A good person to ask about this would be Mr. Jaiden. He has recently done it and has worked with the stuff before if I'm not mistaken. Look for his thread named "My attempt at a WOF scratchbuilt...". A lot of good pictures and good advice.

    Happy Hunting!

  4. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 24, 2007, 9:41 PM - Re: What type of Bondo? #3

    Roger that, thanks!
  5. Gypsyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Nov 25, 2007, 6:52 AM - Re: What type of Bondo? #4

    I sometimes use drywall mud to build up a sculpture, but only if I'm making it to take a mold from. A lot of people don't believe me when I say it actually works, but I've created a number of very successful sculptures by using it. Part of the trick is to use a mesh of some kind to strengthen the stuff... same idea as the drywall tape you get for doing repairs at home.

    However, if you plan to use the sculpture you're making as your finished product then you can't use drywall mud. Bondo is definately the way to go for that.

Similar Threads

  1. What type of Bondo to use?
    By Syndril Kor ronoth in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 20, 2007, 9:46 PM
  2. Need Help - What type of helmet do I need?
    By azheat01 in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar 23, 2007, 3:05 PM
  3. Has anyone done this type of helmet?
    By am2000man in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2006, 1:09 AM
  4. Type of thread
    By Jedi Bob in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2003, 3:29 PM
  5. Type of Paint etc?
    By Wannabe Mandalorian in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 6, 2003, 9:03 PM