Subscribe
  1. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 23, 2009, 9:54 AM - VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #1

well fellas, i am really coming down to the wire here, and trying to think of the "little" things to complete this Fett... one of those things was the voice changer...can anyone give me some insight on these? what brand is the best, are there different sounding voice changers? where can i find these? i know tk409 has a link to one, and i have checked into those, but wanted a more broadened selection...any suggestions? thanks guys....
    Apr 23, 2009, 10:30 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #2

Hey big D your thread is very much like the thread by thksdad anyways take a look it might be helpfull http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=5281
    Apr 23, 2009, 10:57 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #3

Unfortunately that thread is from 4 years ago and the hyperdyne vortex has been out of stock for awhile.
  4. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 23, 2009, 11:04 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #4

ya, saw that....thanks Paul, but i think that is a dead end....bummer...i wouldve loved paying $400 bucks for a voice changer!
    Apr 23, 2009, 11:07 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #5

Well...there are loads to choose from.

ROM/FX, Skullworks, Plecterlabs Voice Core 2.0, Troopercom...

I donīt have time to look up all the sites atm, but I can send you a PM with what I have later today if you want.
  6. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 23, 2009, 11:10 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #6

Quote cr4nky said: View Post
    Well...there are loads to choose from.

ROM/FX, Skullworks, Plecterlabs Voice Core 2.0, Troopercom...

I donīt have time to look up all the sites atm, but I can send you a PM with what I have later today if you want.
    that would be great... now are these amps, or changers?
    Apr 23, 2009, 12:25 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #7

Darrell just use your "Big Boy voice" and stop talking like a Sally.
    Apr 23, 2009, 12:47 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #8

I got the coolest thing from wal-mart it's a toy that makes you sound like a monster,
    alien or yourself just amplified for around $10. FYI. I dont know what you meant by
    changer but this is cheap and works well it has a small mic on a cord and a speaker/
    battery compartment that's about 1''x3"x5". Good Luck!
  9. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 23, 2009, 4:20 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #9

Quote woodman said: View Post
    I got the coolest thing from wal-mart it's a toy that makes you sound like a monster,
    alien or yourself just amplified for around $10. FYI. I dont know what you meant by
    changer but this is cheap and works well it has a small mic on a cord and a speaker/
    looks like a trip to wally world!! thanks man!
    Apr 23, 2009, 5:16 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #10

Darrell, I've tried several different systems for my TK, some work better than others obviously, but it's been trial and error. I DO like this gizmo I found through the Mando Mercs site. It has a volume control, which my wally world voice changer did not.

I'm not sure if this is allowed on the boards, so remove if applicable.

look at fleabay under star wars costume mask voice amp. It's $10, worth much more.

You just cut off the piece that attaches to the firefighters air mask. It has a decent mic, or, just cut the wire and rewire your preffered mic. You would'nt want it in your helmet, too much feedback, probably not enough room. It would work carried on your person somewhere. I use mine with a headset mic.

I also may gut a guitar EQ effects pedal and use it to EQ my voice to the correct sound. ( I used to be a sound guy at a music club, I like tinkering with this stuff !)

Good luck, have fun experimenting !
  11. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Apr 23, 2009, 5:51 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #11

Quote woodman said: View Post
    They are $5.95 at my local Wal-Mart
    they had about a dozen in stock this morning
    haven't gotten one yet though

Theya re not in the Star Wars toy section, but in the party favors toy section
    you know, by the kazoos & slinkies & such
    Apr 24, 2009, 6:58 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #12

One of the problems I had with Walmart device ( beside the lack of volume control ) was that when I used the "voice" setting, which is your own voice, and the loudest setting, I would generally get feedback. This was probably due to the unit being behind my TK chest armor. The sound actually travels up the armor, out by the neck, and then into helmet, causing the feedback. Hopefully, with a Fett, your speaker will be in a pouch or something that will muffle the sound a bit and kill any feedback. One solution for me was to use the "monster" setting. It lowered the pitch of my voice, but, lowered the volume.
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 24, 2009, 8:28 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #13

Just adding some info to this. If you place a 9v across the positive and negative terminals of the mic element, you create voltage-backed amplification that will make your output louder. I build my own mic elements when I do a voice amp, and this works like a champ every time I put one together. Also, if you have no volume control, you can put a potentiometer (Pot for short) in between the 9v positive terminal and the element. A Pot is a hand turned variable resistor...so you can control your volume amplification using that.

Simple and easy!
  14. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Apr 24, 2009, 11:50 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #14

Grabbed one this morning on the way to work
    can you post a diagram for the voltage-backed amplification you mentioned above?
    Apr 24, 2009, 12:20 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #15

Yeah I bought the alien/monster/your voice amp at Parties Plus about 7 years ago. **** thing still works (original battery and all).

While the monster/alien wouldnt work for fett, you can't beat $5-$7 for an amp for your own voice.

Id try that just to see if you like it before dropping hundreds on a "professional" rig.

- chris
  16. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 24, 2009, 12:58 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #16

Here is the wiring diagram. For the sake of reliability, I would go by Radioshack and get one of These nice multipole mics for under $4. These are the best mics to use for power based amplification, and are cheap!

Apr 25, 2009, 9:40 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #17

Thanks for the help NovalTalon !

I think I have that same mic element in my "parts" box. I never knew about that 9 volt trick, is that at all similar to 9v or 18 v powered active pickups for a bass guitar ? It seems like a similar concept.
  18. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 26, 2009, 9:07 AM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #18

Yep, thats about exactly what it does TImmer! The voltage boosts the signal from the mic just like it works for pickups.
    Nov 3, 2009, 6:00 PM - Re: VOICE CHANGER SUGGESTIONS #19

Quote NovallTalon said: View Post
    Just adding some info to this. If you place a 9v across the positive and negative terminals of the mic element, you create voltage-backed amplification that will make your output louder. I build my own mic elements when I do a voice amp, and this works like a champ every time I put one together. Also, if you have no volume control, you can put a potentiometer (Pot for short) in between the 9v positive terminal and the element. A Pot is a hand turned variable resistor...so you can control your volume amplification using that.

Simple and easy!
    Another old thread that I just stumbled across! Great stuff Novall. I'm gonna go experiment!