Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 6, 2012, 5:41 PM - Re: Visor installation? #126

It could work. I used a two-part epoxy, and it's held up going on 5 years now.
    Mar 6, 2012, 6:39 PM - Re: Visor installation? #127

Thanks, I picked up some JB weld.
    Mar 6, 2012, 10:25 PM - Re: Visor installation? #128

i use chicago screws to hold my visor at the corners of the eyes then i did this at the bottom of the mandibles:

4. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Mar 12, 2012, 2:14 PM - Re: Visor installation? #129

I will be using your chicago screw / washer method (or the t-bolt method first mentioned, if I can find them locally).

IMO, I think the visor should be replaceable like this, in case you want to troop at night, or in case you want to tint your visor... and most importantly: in case you scratch or crack your old one too badly.
  5. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Mar 13, 2012, 12:15 AM - Re: Visor installation? #130

Has anyone tried the chicago screw method but instead of making a hole in the visor let the washer make pressure on one side, I don't know if I explained myself clearly, I think I saw a picture of somebody with that type of installation but can't find that post anymore... I have my visor to install in my 97 don Post but theres not much space in the bottom part of the mandibules to install a screw like the ones I see here, may need to go with a hybrid of screws and hot glue gun in the bottom.....
  6. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Mar 18, 2012, 2:26 PM - Re: Visor installation? #131

Ok, so I was thinking abut a method to install the visor that could be easy to install and remove without the use of tools or drilling into my visor, some kind of clip on/clip off method, so I was looking for some kind of flat clip that will accommodate the 3mm acrylic of the visor I bought from T-Visor.com but wasn't able to find them, so I had to build my own. So I started with a standard small paper clip 3/4" (19mm) I got at Office Depot, this are really cheap, I don't know in the US, but here are less than a dollar for 12 pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2414.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	59489

then remove one of the "legs" and flat out one side using some pliers...

Name:	IMG_2417.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	59490

I did cut the flat side using a dremmel tool cutting discs to remove the round part that used to hold the "leg" to make it as flat as possible to glue it flush to the edge of the helmet, I used plastic welder 2 part glue and it works like a charm gluing metal to plastic, remember to sand a little bit the plastic part in the helmet to give it a better grip...I installed 3 on top and 4 on the vertical part of the T, I have no problem on the sides of the horizontal part.

Name:	IMG_2422.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	59491

I left the remaining leg on the 3 top clips, it makes it a lot easier to slide the visor in and on the vertical part the visor just slides in with no effort at all...

Name:	IMG_2421.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	59492

Hope this helps, I'm happy with the result...
    Mar 22, 2012, 6:43 PM - Re: Visor installation? #132

great info
  8. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Mar 26, 2012, 11:20 AM - Re: Visor installation? #133

I'm using the chicago screw & kitchen faucet washer method for my Assassin helmet visor. Pick up the "Size 0" kitchen faucet washers.. they fit the chicago screws well and measure 1/8" thick. Try to get the 3/16" long chicago screws or smaller if you have a standard 1/16" thick visor. I had the 1/4" screws, but they were too long & I did not want to countersink them too deep into the helmet.

I sanded a slight recess (about 1/16" deep) in the helmet and dabbed plastic bonder epoxy on the bottom of the bolts. I taped them down to the helmet till the glue dried. Since this wasn't a real strong bond, I went in with JB Weld filler around the bolt & to fill in the recess more.

Now I have bolts attached firmly to the helmet. The only question now is, "How do I mark the visor for holes?" The bolts are not lined up exactly with the template, so I have to remark the holes on the visor/template. Thinking I'll put some masking tape on the template (which is taped to my visor cut-out) and some paint or nailpolish on the bolts. Then TRY to press it down to line it up.
  9. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Apr 9, 2012, 2:11 AM - Re: Visor installation? #134

Hello,

Iīve tried to use the chicago screw method. I get the visor on the helmet. But there is still a little bit space between the helmet ant the visor. When i look in front of it. At the side and at the bottom where is no place for the screws. now i donīt know if itīs ok or if the visor must sit without any space. How is it with your helmet is there still some space? Iīm afraid to go on an try it with epoxy or hot glue. i donīt want to ruin my helmet.
    Apr 9, 2012, 8:56 AM - Re: Visor installation? #135

Quote Kilryth said: View Post
    The only question now is, "How do I mark the visor for holes?" The bolts are not lined up exactly with the template, so I have to remark the holes on the visor/template. Thinking I'll put some masking tape on the template (which is taped to my visor cut-out) and some paint or nailpolish on the bolts. Then TRY to press it down to line it up.
    The template will indeed be your best method. Just make sure that you've got your visors front surface completely covered in masking tape to protect it. Do not remove the masking tape from your visor until after you've got the alignment holes drilled, and the visor is ready to be installed... I'd even go further and recommend that you dry-fit the visor as well before removing the protective masking tape.

Quote JackFrost said: View Post
    Hello,

Iīve tried to use the chicago screw method. I get the visor on the helmet. But there is still a little bit space between the helmet ant the visor. When i look in front of it. At the side and at the bottom where is no place for the screws. now i donīt know if itīs ok or if the visor must sit without any space. How is it with your helmet is there still some space? Iīm afraid to go on an try it with epoxy or hot glue. i donīt want to ruin my helmet.
    Jackfrost, a small space between the visor and helmet is fine. You can reduce the gap by counter-sinking the chicago screws a bit prior to gluing them in place. I actually find the gap to be ideal, as it's hardly noticable when you're wearing the helmet, and allows for some air-flow over the visor which helps to reduce the fogging effects... I find that my visor only fogs on the lower portion, below my nose, so has no effect on my vision.
  11. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Apr 13, 2012, 2:53 PM - Re: Visor installation? #136

Thank you Jango72. I butchered the mounting holes a little bit (not all of them fit), and I did not think to use making tape.. Wish I did, as I scratched the visor with scissors (note - do not cut TOWARDS the visor with scissors. Use the exacto knife when cutting towards the visor). Fortunately, I can't see the scratch when it's installed, and I can't see it from the inside. If I could, I'd just make it into weathering.

Here is a pic of the Assassin helmet with the visor installed via chicago screws. I used more than necessary. I suggest removing the two in the middle of the "mouth" section. I'd also consider removing the one in the top middle area.

12. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    May 8, 2012, 5:01 AM - Re: Visor intallation? #137

This is great. Thx for sharing.
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    May 15, 2012, 1:32 AM - Re: Visor installation? #138

great tutorial ill try for this
    May 15, 2012, 8:20 AM - Re: Visor installation? #139

Thanks for your tip / info.!
    Jun 30, 2012, 10:56 PM - Re: Visor installation? #140

Is there a template for cutting out the t visor from a tinted sheet? My Asok CC came with a sheet for the visor but it has a curve to it so I think I will have to take it out before I cut it. What are the dimensions for the visor? T-visor.com has a few different ones, which one would fit my lid?
    Jun 30, 2012, 11:51 PM - Re: Visor installation? #141

I usually tape the visor so that it won't melt on you and then cut it out with a dremel. I don't use a template I just cut it to fit the exact bucket that I am working on.
    Jul 7, 2012, 7:17 PM - Re: Visor installation? #142

Ok, a couple of questions regarding the visor. What color should it be? the visor that I got from Asok with my CC bucket is green, but the visor I just recieved from t-visor.com is brown, which one should I use? Second, should I sand the inside of the helm so the visor fits snuggly against the inside? How far down should it go, should it line up with the bottom of the helm where the visor goes? What color should I paint the inside? I am not looking for 100% accuracy, but something that would pass the 501st. I think I am going the chicago screw method, so at least I have an idea of how I am going to put the visor in the helm, once I figure out which one I should use.
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Jul 14, 2012, 12:55 AM - Re: Visor installation? #143

I have a question bout this "chicago Screw method" If I were to use a screw and nut to hold my visor how would I get the hole in my helmet also wouldn't I have to worry bout the edge of the screw popping out of the other side of my helmet? how should I do this.. I just want to make sure I get it right
    Oct 16, 2012, 11:20 AM - Re: Visor installation? #144

I did a little research on this and lowes and home depot all these binding screws, not Chicago screws.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 17, 2012, 12:49 PM - Re: Visor installation? #145

I didn't even think of the chicago screws - I have a bunch leftover from a belt I made a while back. Thanks for the tips, TDH!
    Nov 26, 2012, 4:06 PM - Re: Visor installation? #146

Anyone had their T-Visor crack? I was drilling the holes into the visor so I can use the bolt method and it cracked in half. The bit is new and sharp, and I didn't put any pressure on it at all. It's a nice visor, but seems very brittle.
    Dec 1, 2012, 4:45 AM - Re: Visor installation? #147

I'm thinking I'll go for the Jango72 method, I'm a neat freak and want the inside of my helmet to be as clean and organized as possible, I plan on painting the inside of mine as well just to keep it clean.
    Dec 30, 2012, 10:33 PM - Re: Visor intallation? #148

Quote suspect86 said: View Post
    I tried my hand at tinting paper a few times with the most horrible results.It's a great idea in retrospect but it quickly becomes nothing more than a giant headache.Example; tinting glass(like on a car window) is pretty easy but it's still tough to get it right without having any air bubbles between the glass and the window tint.
    I remember back in High School,and my first car, you wanted it to look as cool as possible, so we would try our hand at tinting the windows with "limo tint" we bought at the local Canadian Tire.
    The results were always horrible looking, but yet we continued to do it to all our cars, you may get it almost perfect, but the odd air bubble always popped up.

Oh the memories.
    Dec 31, 2012, 11:39 AM - Re: Visor installation? #149

Has anyone tried using rare earth magnets? I have seen them used on just about everyother part of costumes. I imagine a small, low profile magnet could be glued inside the helmet and then dry fit the trimmed visor in and put another magnet on the inside of the visor then mark it and take it out to glue it in place. It seems like it would work great in my mind. Im not up to that point on my bucket. I will take pics and update in my build if it works.
    Jan 28, 2013, 7:46 PM - Re: Visor installation? #150

I found a full face shield at a welding supply shop today that I think will work perfect. I was able to get it in a really dark tint with a green tint to it and it was only $6.10. They didn't have it in stock though, but it will be in on Wednesday. I'll post some pics when I get it.