Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 6, 2009, 2:39 PM - Re: Visor intallation? #101

I had a thought about that, I don't remember where I posted it though.

The idea was this; If someone were to screen print an image of the calc. piece on a bit of material similar to speaker cloth, ( for breathability ) you could have ventilation and some accuracy. As for fans, when I install mine, there will be at least one drawing air in, and one blowing it out, preferably, the blower type of fan. The CPU type mounted inside may be ok, but my opinion is that they are just recirculating the stale air.
    Dec 23, 2009, 3:14 PM - Re: Visor installation? #102

Maybe when I finally get my helmet delivered I can use the method with the Chicago Screws. Thanks, especially since I live where they're named after!
    Jan 29, 2010, 7:14 AM - Re: Visor installation? #103

This isn't a Mando bucket, but I found this thread while I was looking for a way to install the visor in my Phase II Episode III bucket and thought I would adapt it a little for that.

Dark green visor with some visor templates taped on. My wife made these by eye and did a pretty good job keeping the template symmetrical.

Then Thorn puts his beer goggles (visor) on ... I made a cardboard visor template to help with the placement of the chicago screws on the inside of the helmet.

I put the screws in the cardboard template and dabbed a little paint on the backside of the screws to mark the inside of the helmet. Then I used my dremel to scuff up the inside of the helmet in preparation for epoxy putty.

After this, I applied the 5 minute epoxy putty directly to the chicago screws and pressed them and the cardboard template onto the inner surface of the helmet.

Boom, baby! Visor installed. I left the protective film on the plastic for now because I plan to have it in and out a few more times while I do some more painting.

Feb 7, 2010, 3:14 AM - Re: Visor installation? #104

How exactly do you make the visor. Is there a thread on that? And if ther is can you post the link to it?
    Feb 7, 2010, 1:27 PM - Re: Visor installation? #105

You can either go to t-visor.com or you can pickup a welders shield at a hardware store and custom cut one for yourself.
    Mar 10, 2010, 2:24 PM - Re: Visor installation? #106

Gotta love TDH, for all the very needed info. thanks all for posting your methods and ideas. very much appreciated!
    May 23, 2010, 1:21 AM - Re: Visor installation? #107

Is the glue method (ex. hot glue, super glue...) really a decent method to use for visor installation? How well does it actually hold?
    May 23, 2010, 6:23 AM - Re: Visor installation? #108

I've had mine hot-glued in for almost two years now with no problems.

David.
    May 23, 2010, 11:17 AM - Re: Visor installation? #109

Thanks for a quick response. It sounds like that may be the easiest way to get a good hold. Thanks Jaiden.
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 30, 2010, 9:14 AM - Re: Visor installation? #110

Finally got to use this method....been waiting to get the helmet together, and painted and all last night I got to put this to work...Used super glue then JB weld cause its the greatest....lets hope it holds

These also work for the RF stalk
    Jan 25, 2011, 3:48 PM - Re: Visor installation? #111

would it work with cardboard?
    Aug 15, 2011, 7:29 AM - Re: Visor installation? #112

Well, I'm still a long ways from installing my visor in my Boba Bucket. I still haven't even got my range finder on nor my helmet painted. I have been looking at this thread and there are some really great ways to attach the visor. I like the Chicago screw idea best so far with the removability factor. I also noticed that some of you have used hot glue and say that it works great. I was wondering if anyone has used any of that epoxy glue that is used for attaching the rear view mirror to glass in a vehicle. I was thinking of doing that for my visor in my helmet. I have had good experience with this stuff in my truck. I used the epoxy glue before on a rear view mirror and I can say that that glue is very strong. My mirror has been stuck on my windshield for 5 years in the baking hot southern sun and it still holding strong. Any thoughts on something like this to glue the visor in with. Has anyone used this stuff for their visors? My only concern would be would it melt the plastic of the visor since it is designed to attach metal to glass? Any thoughts?
  13. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Aug 15, 2011, 9:01 AM - Re: Visor installation? #113

If your not concerned with accuracy, and just want to mount it Hot glue would be my reccomendation if you dont care, the chicgo screw is alright but not the endall, its a bit different with a boba helmet as theres the issue of spacing of the visor, to wide and it looks dumb and to narrow and it looks dumb so be mindful
    Aug 30, 2011, 4:18 PM - Re: Visor intallation? #114

Thanks for the idea. I'm reinstalling a t-visor in my Jango helmet.
    Quote Jango72 said: View Post
    I use a variation on Spideyfetts method, but I use chicago or boston screws with plastic, kitchen faucet washers.

Sep 6, 2011, 3:50 PM - Re: Visor installation? #115

Is 1/4" a pretty common or good length of Chicago Screw to use?
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 27, 2011, 2:44 AM - Re: Visor intallation? #116

There are actually three different sizes of T-Visors out there.

1. smallest size, which fits the Rubies style helmets.
    2. regular size, which fits most versions like Sgt. Fang, Fettpride, Bobamaker etc.
    3. large size, which is for the famed "Mystery helmet".

Your best bet is to follow the posted tutorials on making your own out of a tinted safety face shield. You'll get a perfect fit every time.

And Halo_1, I must say that I love your mounting system.
    i have a 95' don post helmet coming in the mail...from the helmet history on the sticky, am i correct to assume that this helmet will fit the large sized visor? i mean since the mystery helmet and the don post helmet were casted from the same lava helmet right? also, from the pics i saw of my helmet (i didnt get it yet) i see that the lower part of the visor is part of the mold and not a whole "T" shaped eye piece...do i use a dremel to cut away at that part to modify it to have a correct "T" shaped visor?
    Oct 27, 2011, 7:54 AM - Re: Visor intallation? #117

Quote DarthVeach said: View Post
    Is 1/4" a pretty common or good length of Chicago Screw to use?
    If 1/4" is the shortest length chicago screw you can find, then yes. You'll have extra length, in relation to the thickness of the visor... which is why I used the plastic kitchen faucet washers.

Quote edmonem said: View Post
    i have a 95' don post helmet coming in the mail...from the helmet history on the sticky, am i correct to assume that this helmet will fit the large sized visor? i mean since the mystery helmet and the don post helmet were casted from the same lava helmet right? also, from the pics i saw of my helmet (i didnt get it yet) i see that the lower part of the visor is part of the mold and not a whole "T" shaped eye piece...do i use a dremel to cut away at that part to modify it to have a correct "T" shaped visor?
    You'll actually find that the Don Post '95 helmet is on the small side, definitely smaller than the Mystery helmet. You are correct about the T-visor section, the lower section of the t-visor area is indeed attached and will need to be removed.

Word of caution... if the helmet that you're getting is a real Don Post '95, and not a cast of one, then you'll want to cut out and fit the visor ( but not install just yet ) before cutting away the bottom connecting section of the t-visor. The Don Post is a soft vinyl material, unlike the more commonly used resin of other slush-cast helmets. Removing that bridge piece before you are ready to install the visor may cause the Don Post to deform/warp. You would be wise to search for tutorials on how to install a "craft ring" to help the Don Post maintain it's shape.
  18. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 27, 2011, 5:22 PM - Re: Visor intallation? #118

If 1/4" is the shortest length chicago screw you can find, then yes. You'll have extra length, in relation to the thickness of the visor... which is why I used the plastic kitchen faucet washers.

You'll actually find that the Don Post '95 helmet is on the small side, definitely smaller than the Mystery helmet. You are correct about the T-visor section, the lower section of the t-visor area is indeed attached and will need to be removed.

Word of caution... if the helmet that you're getting is a real Don Post '95, and not a cast of one, then you'll want to cut out and fit the visor ( but not install just yet ) before cutting away the bottom connecting section of the t-visor. The Don Post is a soft vinyl material, unlike the more commonly used resin of other slush-cast helmets. Removing that bridge piece before you are ready to install the visor may cause the Don Post to deform/warp. You would be wise to search for tutorials on how to install a "craft ring" to help the Don Post maintain it's shape.
    Thanks! I'll most definately search for that tut...
    Oct 30, 2011, 12:52 PM - Re: Visor installation? #119

Hello there, the jango fett76 is one of the best way to put the visor in the helmet, I am now working in my Jango ASOK helmet and I going to use that way, but I show yours here my first work in a rubies helmet, I used Epoxi 5 minutes and works well for me, the visor is from HostMonster..........................

chek my jango costume here:

1 MY JANGO FETT pictures by snowaure - Photobucket

Nov 3, 2011, 9:17 AM - Re: Visor installation? #120

I use E6000 and lots of clamps.
    I can clean up the mess and remove the visor at a later date if I want
    Don Post Helmet circa 1996
  21. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Nov 9, 2011, 11:27 PM - Re: Visor installation? #121

Thanks for this thread. Been trying to map out how to tackle this. Very helpful.
    Jan 15, 2012, 11:24 AM - Re: Visor installation? #122

I just use a tiny bit of hot glue at 4 points..seals very nicely..and very easy to remove w/ a little bit of heat.
    Jan 15, 2012, 2:20 PM - Re: Visor installation? #123

depending on the hot glue it can work that way..but a lot of hot glue will stick to the visor and latter just pop off from the helmet side.
    Jan 18, 2012, 11:28 AM - Re: Visor installation? #124

Hi...again.............here is how I install my visor in my Asok helmet.............cold epoxi used.........

Mar 6, 2012, 9:28 AM - Re: Visor installation? #125

So, using the Chicago screw method, it I want to bond the screws to the helmet what adhesive works best? I was thinking of counter sinking them ever so slightly and using bondo to adhere them in. Will that work?