Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 27, 2009, 2:46 AM - Re: Visor installation? #76

The helmet will probably be stronger with it still left in but the overall look of the helmet, IMHO, will be horrible. The visor will be skewed and stick out more than it should and not uniform across the face. And you will be cutting down on your field of vision by more than 50%...(probably more) You will have about the same line of sight as a stormtropper ie. not being able to se where or into what you are walking. small kids, stairs, shrubberies.
  2. Member Since
    May 2009
    May 27, 2009, 2:50 AM - Re: Visor installation? #77

All very good points, have you personally encountered warping due to completely removing the visor area?
    May 27, 2009, 3:45 AM - Re: Visor installation? #78

With my first helmet (a shameless recast of ebay) the mandibles warped inwards but this was reprimanded when i installed the visor. with my BobaMaker helmet i had no such troubles.
  4. Member Since
    May 2009
    May 27, 2009, 3:24 PM - Re: Visor installation? #79

Excellent, thanks!
    May 28, 2009, 12:09 PM - Re: Visor installation? #80

Quote Timmer said: View Post
    What's the best way to line up the holes when doing the bolt method.

I was thinking of first drilling the holes in the visor, placing it in the right spot then just marking through the hole with a marking pen of some kind. I'm just concerned about the angle of the nut, if I glue it in at the wrong angle, it won't line up with the bolt coming through the visor.

Any thoughts ?

The best way to ensure that your bolts will line up with the holes in the visor is to first make a thin cardboard mack-up of your T-Visor. You can make as many as you need, punch as many holes as needed and they can also be used as a filler for when you paint up the base colors.

All you need to do is to trace your T-visor onto some cereal box cardboard, then cut it out. Test fit the new template to ensur eit will fit good ( and that you didn't accidentally cut off the wrong part... don't ask ) then you can arrange where you'd like for the mounting bolts to be situated. Once you've punched the holes in your template, you can now use it as a tracing quide to align the holes both on the visor and inside the helmet.
    May 28, 2009, 4:42 PM - Re: Visor installation? #81

Thanks Ian, a nice simple solution, I'm all for that.

Maybe I'll run into you in the future, I'm with Garrison Excelsior, but I'm In the Albany, NY area. I know that my comrades in the Rochester and Buffalo region meet up with our brothers and sisters from The Great White North from time to time.

I appreciate the tips,
    Tim
    May 28, 2009, 8:43 PM - Re: Visor installation? #82

No worries Tim, perhaps you can make it to FanExpo in Toronto this year. It's at the end of August.
    May 29, 2009, 12:45 AM - Re: Visor installation? #83

I'll have to look into the rules for crossing the border. I know that at some point this year they will no longer allow just a NY State drivers license, I'd have to get a passport I believe
    Jun 1, 2009, 2:02 AM - Re: Visor installation? #84

a good way to hold the cardboard mock up in place while you line things up is to use some of that wall putty that 3M puts out for putting posters on walls without leaving marks. also, if you end up using epoxy putty to place your visor, the putty will help with the best areas to apply that as well
    Jun 2, 2009, 7:16 PM - Re: Visor installation? #85

Thanks for the tip WhiteShadow, I appreciate it !
    Jun 6, 2009, 4:58 AM - Re: Visor installation? #86

chicago screws are working great...and the improvement on the visor has corrected almost all of the warping I was running in to
    Jun 7, 2009, 8:28 AM - Re: Visor installation? #87

When I place my visor in for a test fit, the outside parts of the "T" doesn't bend far enough to meet the helmet. I was thinking of using a heat gun, or maybe even a hair dryer ( to be a little less intense ) to warm up the visor and let it fit naturally into a better shape. Is this a horrible idea ? I could just chicago screw i tin , but I'm worried about the flexibility of the visor. I bought it from T-Visor.

Any tips ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Timmer; Jun 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM.
    Jun 7, 2009, 10:21 AM - Re: Visor installation? #88

First, how much does the visor still need to curve to match the shape of the helmet?

Second, how much flex does the visor have? ( so long as your visor isn't made of acrylic, it should be fairly flexible )

If your visor has plenty of flex, and it is only maybe a centimeter or two off of the contour of the helmet, then leave it be. Once you have the chicago screws glued in, all you have to do is gently flex the temples of the visor to fit it in. The added pressure of the visor pushing outwards against the helmet will help to hold it in place.
    Jun 8, 2009, 6:59 AM - Re: Visor installation? #89

You're right Jango72, it is pretty close and does seem to have enough flex. I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks for the advice !
    Jun 18, 2009, 12:03 AM - Re: Visor installation? #90

when using the chicago/boston method is it best to drill holes into the actual visor, or to use the screws on the edges of the visor to hold it in place.....also what kinda set up is good for keeping the helmet tight on your head?
    Jun 18, 2009, 12:05 PM - Re: Visor installation? #91

I put holes into the actual visor, just make sure that you factor in enough play to allow for easy installation. The only spot that the screws only grip the sides is at the bottom of the mandibles. For that, I made a small half circle notch for the screws to sit in.

As for the inside fittings, the two most popular methods are...
    1. Custom cut foam
    2. Hardhat liner
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 28, 2009, 1:41 PM - Re: Visor installation? #92

These methods are great. I would never of thought to use screws/bolts to hold the visor in place. I would of gone all slap dash and used industrial webbing like I did with my 1st TK lid.
    Is there anywhere in the UK where I could source a visor for my ESB bucket? Ive looked on Ebay but can only find places in the US which will incour heavy postal charges if not import and exise charges at UK customs.
    Thanks, Mike.
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Aug 31, 2009, 1:34 PM - Re: Visor installation? #93

ok i have no idea what material to use for my visor. can somebody help me? a link to a site wud be great
    Aug 31, 2009, 1:44 PM - Re: Visor installation? #94

T-Visor.com is the premier place to get visors. But, you could get a tinted face shield from just about any hardware store and cut it to fit.

David.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Sep 12, 2009, 10:11 PM - Re: Visor installation? #95

I'm wondering about everyone who used the chicago bolts... how do you keep the large end from showing on the outside? I haven't actually gotten my helmet yet... Sgt. Fang is shipping it out to me this upcoming week so I haven't examined the problem first hand. I'm in the planning stage right now and the idea seems sound, but it also seems that (without having seen the setup first hand) the large round end of the bolt would be visible. How was this solved?

Pardon the newbie question but this is my first attempt at a costume and I don't feel like messing up is much of an option for me.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Sep 13, 2009, 9:24 AM - Re: Visor installation? #96

There won't actually be any parts on the outside of the helmet. The "nut" part of the Chicago or T-screw is attached to the inside of the helmet, and then the visor ( with the holes for the nut ) slides over that, then possibbly a washer, and then the bolt part. The visor material should be sufficiently dark enough to keep anyone from seeing in.

The Chicago screw nuts DO NOT go through a hole in the actual helmet outside to inside, if that's what you might be picturing. Check back earlier in this thread for diagrams.

Hope that helps.
    Sep 13, 2009, 2:03 PM - Re: Visor installation? #97

Timmer has set you on the right path. I epoxied my bolts to the inside, one side benefit of this is that there will now be a small gap between the visor and the helmet that's just big enough to allow some air to vent around and help to prevent fogging.

It's not perfect at stopping fogging, but it does help... and don't worry, the gap isn't big enough to notice.
  23. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Oct 30, 2009, 8:11 PM - Re: Visor installation? #98

Which is better Spideyfett's method or hot glue?
    Oct 30, 2009, 8:26 PM - Re: Visor installation? #99

Neither.

My method is the best... in my own humble opinion.
    Dec 3, 2009, 2:32 AM - Re: Visor intallation? #100

Another option, which I haven't really seen anyone do, is to mount a fan over the keyslots in the back of the helmet. On one hand, you give up accuracy by losing the calculator piece normally placed there, on the other, it's a sweet spot to ventilate ( provided your hair doesn't get caught ! ).

Yeah thats a awsome idea it would make use of the key slots giving them a real functional purpose.