Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

*UPDATE 2013* WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

From
    Murrieta CA

Re: *UPDATE 2013* WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

Impressive most impressive my friend. Just when I think that this lid cannot look any better you start adding more!!!! Well done and I cannot wait to see what you do to the inside of this bad boy!!!

From
    Galati, Romania

Jay, be honest and tell us the truth! You have access to the LFL Archives and whenever you desire you can borrow the ROTJ helmet to tease us with your so called 'painting talent'? Good old George knows what you do? Shame on you!

Spoiler:
    Ow, sorry! I always forget that you were banned from the LFL Archives years ago, so this is not the real ROTJ helmet, but could replace it at any time and no one will ever notice (almost).

I'm so proud of what you have achieved here (and the ESB too) and I think this piece should stay in a Star Wars Museum.

Your #1 fan.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Haha, ah that pesky George guy keeps coming around and harassing me Raf, its starting to get a little annoying I tell ya! Doesn't even bring a nice bottle of wine around these days.. But I digress..

Thanks for those kind words gents, I'll do my best to wrap it all up soon!

It is incredible what you have achieved. It's not just the individual colours and treatment, but the more illusive balance of all the colours and treatment working together...Sorry, that sounds like such BS!

From
    UK

Stunning...

From
    Cloud City

orange stuff is glue of some sort that has aged. Looks like badger glue but I doubt that. Is the mirco switch for show or does it work?
    great work

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Soon I will be starting my ROTJ journey for myself/wife....Love what your doing here bro

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Thanks a bunch fellas, just about acquired all the bits and bobs I need for the interior, so not far away..

Garrett - thanks for the kind words on the colours and how they work with each other. I spent considerable time with colour swatches, so glad someone with as keen an eye as yours, thinks I'm in the right ballpark. The only thing I'm not convinced with, is the satin sheen - I know there is a slight one, but just haven't found anything I like enough that gives just that 'right' amount. So mite be better just leaving it till I come across something down the track..

Dom - sounds great mate, can't wait to see your new ROTJ. I always enjoy your paint ups.

Megatron - even though it is a real micro switch, and the metal ears allow running wires, mine is just for show. This is because I tend to go for accuracy, and as it stands - and correct me if I'm wrong - but I see no evidence the ROTJ helmet had working leds, and particularly not in the MOM version, which I based this helmet on. So if it makes sense, it seems more accurate not to have it functioning, as the version I'm basing mine off didn't..

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Amazing lid bro! Amazing

From
    Perth, Western Australia

UPDATE 3 JUNE 2013 - INTERIOR :
    Boo-yah Fett -Rockstars! Time for the next update and this one has been a blast to do – the Interior. For those who haven’t followed any of my previous paint ups, I look for screen accuracy with these interiors. Which means nice, clean foam and functional mechanics, get replaced by some – truth be told – sloppy and not real pleasing to the eye beauty – however, it’s exactly this, which makes it all that much harder to nail it down correctly. So with that in mind, away to work I went...

Now, what was tough about this interior is that as far as I know, I think I may be the first to have a go at the ROTJ interior. There have been some fantastic ESB efforts from the likes of BGHunter, Kurtyboy and Gino, as well as better reference pics, so that in a way, was easier to nail down the specifics. This one however, has some pretty blurry and inconclusive pics, so some trial and error was needed. Also, there are pics of 2 configurations in the interior set up for this helmet. The ‘Heilman’ images showed this interior in earlier days, where the later pictures showed a few different variations and these were also evident in the ‘Magic of Myth’ exhibit photos. As the latter is the paint up I tried to emulate, that was also the interior I followed. I have put these two pics in for reference…

heilman-mom-jpg

Now, earlier in this thread at post 107, I did some test fittings for interior parts. That went fine, but now, I wanted to nail down some specifics and make some changes – which ended up being pretty much EVERYTHING. Apart from the circuitry board over the key slots, everything got either changed, or replaced with more accurate pieces. The headband was changed to finer and better coloured foam, and a longer, tan sweatband; the top straps were changed to a thinner material looking much more accurate, the black chin strap holder was changed to a finer piece, with correct material now, as well as an accurate working button/stud. The metal chin strap holder clip was also changed to a more accurate piece.

Then there were the things I added in which hadn’t been accounted for as yet. First were the bondo residue stains, and small tabs with cheese head screws holding down the visor end. The tabs were fine, and weathered up to look rusty as they appear in MOM. The bondo stains, when looked at in the Heilman pics, are actually bondo – the same colour as the bono used on the edges of the circuit board over the key slots. In MOM however, this colour is different – and that is because it seems the bondo has actually been scraped away, revealing the marks, and some underlying, dirtied up gel coat. So I tried to replicate this. Also added in were the wires out of the rangefinder ear, which are really hard to see, so I went with it best I could. The curved metal tabs on the upper cheeks were also constructed and added in, as well as some Velcro pieces and other bits and bobs. Phew!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

So, onto the pics – First up, we have a nice arial shot of the overall interior. Next, we have some detail areas - firstly of the cheese heads and bondo marks on the lower cheeks. Really hard to get super accurate, but happy with the fact they look fairly faithful and was able to capture some scrape marks and texture within. We then have a montage of some details of various areas I like. The last of the pics in this montage, shows the little chin strap holder clip, as well as one of the metal tabs I constructed for visor securing on the upper cheek. Finally, is our main comparison pic – I configured my interior to look as it does in the reference photo best I could.

Overall, I’m really happy with the result, particularly from limited resources, and the lack of a nice ‘clean’ reference pic, but of course, any feedback welcome as always. Sorry for the long post, but it was actually quite a large and fiddly area to do, even if that is not apparent. Thanks for looking gang, complete and final shots hopefully just around the corner. Peace my friends

main-shot-jpglower-cheek-detail-1-jpglower-cheek-detail-2-jpgdetails1-jpgcomparison-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

Everything looks great, as expected! The only things that bothers me are the upper T-visor attachments (1 in the center and 2 on the ends), but I know that you would correct them if the T-visor wouldn't be that thin (you have a 2mm thick visor, while the original has a 3mm thick one). If possible, try to eliminate those screws... Everything else is perfect!

From
    New South Wales, Australia

You are insane J man! That is all.......

From
    Perth, Western Australia

RafalFett said: View Post
    Everything looks great, as expected! The only things that bothers me are the upper T-visor attachments (1 in the center and 2 on the ends), but I know that you would correct them if the T-visor wouldn't be that thin (you have a 2mm thick visor, while the original has a 3mm thick one). If possible, try to eliminate those screws... Everything else is perfect!
    Never fear Raf - those screws were put in place early on in the peace, for quick and easy removal of the visor during the painting process, and to get all the correct angles. Rest assured they wont be there in the final pics. In fact, while all three are present in the comparison pic, if you look at the first pic (the one with the Jayvee logo), you can see the middle screw has already been taken out. So they are simply there for support at the moment, until im happy everything is in the correct place. Pics and feedback from awesome folk like yourself are invaluble in that regard, and i may even go with a little thicker foam around the headband again for the finals.. Thanks for the keen eye tho my friend, as always, much appreciated..

Thanks for the kind words Dave, and awesome to see you back on the boards buddy. Your enthusiasm is contagious brother, so great to see you back!

From
    Michigan

Single greatest attempt at an ROTJ helmet paintjob outside of Lucasfilm TDH has ever seen. Period.

From
    Australia

It’s all been said before, but that shouldn’t stop it being said again. This is absolutely amazing!!
    It’s got to be my favourite thread in all the TDH. It’s "converted me”......

I used to hold the ILM ESB Fett paint-style as the one & only & did pay my attention to the ROTJ (ILM). I loved the Realistic look of the battle damage & its scars & I couldn’t see the same on the ROTJ so I didn’t give it much time. Jayvees & Superjedi threads on the ESB paint-up were at that time my source of go-to "dream lid" pics!

However from enjoying this thread, I can see the immense detail that you Jonny has put into this lid, then by studying how it so accurately matches the original has enlightened me to appreciate the ILM ROTJ so much more & all of its detail. The Man reaches Enlightenment! I love the ESB just as much, but thru your paint-up, my awareness & love of fett has doubled. gotta say thanks for this alone.

Love your work! Awesome & Inspiring.

From
    USAF Utah

OK next weekend I get home should have an MQ1 to finish off mine...used the list and I must say it turned out quite well bud...still have alot of detail work to do later but all in all I went with Heilman photos for a screen used less beat up look...pics soon..It looks done but I still wanna get the MQ1 in as I didnt have one at the time to throw in there.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Sounds unreal Dom, look forward to seeing your pics bud, glad the colours worked out for you.. As I have no doubt you will be aware with your colour knowledge, the detail work will blend the colours somewhat also. Once I get back from my travel, should be able to get some nice final shots up of this guy.

And Mick - thank you kindly for those amazing comments. That sort of a write up makes me feel completely awestruck, and is ridiculously kind

From
    USAF Utah

I really liked how the mythos helmet turned out using the same colors...

From
    Atlanta, Georgia

Re: WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

Jayvee said: View Post
    For someone like me who is new to this forum, this is a great pic showing some of the differences in the two paint schemes. Still doing research but I definitely want one.

Beautiful work man!

From
    PR

From
    PR

Simply the best thread that I have found so far ! Brilliant, thank you Jayvee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Martinsmith73 said: View Post
    Simply the best thread that I have found so far ! Brilliant, thank you Jayvee
    No mate - thank you - for taking the time to check out the thread, and for the super kind words. As I'm sure some of the other lads will agree, being able to have a positive influence and inspire others, is as great a feeling as the accomplishment of finishing one of these lids. It's truly humbling and very much appreciated