Tradgedy has struck....

kebh020727

Active Hunter
I am afraid that during a recent application of Bondo outdoors, Boba has taken a tumble. A gust of wind pushed him over the edge of the surface I was working on and he fell cheek first into my deck. I hate winter in the Northeast, and now, it's personal! In any event, here is his current state; I will attempt to revive and repair him. Oh yes, we can rebuild him!!!!

Eric

DSC03009a.jpg

DSC03010a.jpg

DSC03011a.jpg

Oh my! That is pretty bad. Sorry to hear about this. But was it backed up with anything like fiberglass on the inside or is it just cardstock and bondo? Seeing as you made this really nice, I think you can repair it well too.

its a bad break, but!!! what goes in your favour is that the visor area is not trimmed out yet, so! You can probably patch it up and then fibreglass the inside for strength, dont give up yet!! (y)

Eric,

I think you should try to use Apoxie Fixit to repair your helmet. Not only is it good for sculpting and as a filler, but it also acts as an adhesive. It takes about two-three hours to cure but after that it is completely sandable, machineable, and can be blended into the actual helmet better than bondo. I suggest that after using Apoxie Fixit to mend the break that you also reinforce your helmet with fiberglass for added strength and rigidity. Good luck and hope that it all works out for the best!

CLICK HERE for the link!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I opened the thread, the first thing to pop into my mind was "I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced." Good luck on the repair!

I had a fall during my helmet build but it was nothing so bad as this! I just had hair line cracks around the cheeks where i had bondo seems those cracks were a pin the whole build!!! i bondoed them like 4 time then the fall happened just before the final coat of paint!!! my heart goes out to you man. I to am courious as to what your bucket is made from.

Thanks for the support gang! It is made from Sintra, 2mm. I had not reinforced the inside of the lid yet. I was actually waiting for that step until I was comfortable with the outside. Man, in retrospect, it should have been done a lot sooner. For that I had purchased Elmer's fiberglass resin and cloth, but it has been sitting on my bench since I bought it in September. So, that will be the plan, once the outer damage is worked out. I have begun some repairs, I will of course send the photos into this thread tomorrow. Man, after he fell, I think I was just numb afterwards, speechless and not really sure what to do! I will keep it together though and make him whole again!!

E

So it's sintra? Try super glue, that stuff holds sintra together better than I've ever seen anything before. Also, be sure to glass the inside though, super glue alone won't make it bulletproof.

ahw man, that is a painfull sight... the only positive I can find about this... is that it fell nefore you painted it... that would have been an ever bigger waste of energy... I know... it's not exactly something that should cheer you up...

I hope you can repair it!!

Coming back to this I am confident you can repair it, its going to take a lot of work but once done you will be glad you saved it I am sure (y)

Okay, here we go.... I started at 7 am this morning and got cracking. Last night I had used Super Glue to reconnect the cracked pieces to start. I let those areas set overnight and this morning began working with Epoxy putty to reinforce the cracks from the inside of the cheek area. I also had to add some in a couple of other spots because after I pieced things back together, I noticed that some chunks of Bondo had popped out. So, pieces have come together okay, not great. I had hoped for better, but they just would not fit back together well in some spots. So, some areas are raised or stick out a little. THis should be okay, some sanding and filler should bring things back in line. This afternoon I will hopefully have the time to apply the fiberglass resin and some fabric to the inner pieces so that the entire lid is solidly reinforced. I was really hoping to bring a primed version of Boba to Thanksgiving to share with my nephews, they are really excited about seeing it; this "setback" could not have come at a worse time!! I would have tried with the Aves Fixit that was suggested, but I do not have time right now to order it and wait, etc. If my fixes do not work then I may look into it then, but I will keep my fingers crossed that it does!

E

DSC03014a.jpg

DSC03015a.jpg

DSC03016a.jpg

DSC03017a.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back