Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Too scared to start

Re: Too scared to start

Ronin677 said: View Post
    Where do i look for a Sgt Fang? i have heard many good things about these buckets but never actually seen one (well not that i know of).

Just send him a PM he now has an account on here. PM sent

From
    Norwich UK

Dan

Decided not to go for a resin bucket as i wanted a spare FG one. I have just bought a FG off ebay (just got to sort out P&P), what do you think? (be honest). it comes with RF, stalk, both ears complete and even the casio plate for the grill. apparently its about the same size as a mystery bucket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 78_1-jpg  

Jon,

From the looks of it, it's most likely a mystery recast. It doesn't look too bad though, considering the conditions a lot of eBay buckets turn out like. If you are only using it as a spare and for practising it's a good start. I hope you didn't spend too much though!

Dan

I am very interested in how this progresses. Definatly post updates and pics!

From
    O'Fallon, Illinois the STL

^same here. Keep it up!

From
    Norwich UK

The good news is ppl, the first thin silicone layer ha snow set. After an in depth disscussion with the supplier i think i did not add enough 'catalyst' to the silicone. They recommended 5ml of catalyst to every 100g of silicone. It should have been 5.5ml to every 100g (if done by weight). so when you consider the residue left in the pipette, i probable only added 4.5ml (so a short fall of 1ml), and hence the very slow curing time. So i am going to add 6ml next time and some pigment to ensure an even mixture. I will attempt this tonight and post more pics tomorrow.

btw thanks for all the tremendous support and advice i have been given on this subject. Terminal Fettler wrote some fantastic advise on this subject and with his permission i might write it up in Word or pdf format and post it on this forum.

When using silicone, I tend to add a little more catalyst all the time. I found that the suppliers recommendations tend to be a little "sparing" with the catalyst. My first layer took ages to dry and I started to play around with the ratios and measurements until I found what was best for me. As with all things it just comes with your experience and through practise.

btw thanks for all the tremendous support and advice i have been given on this subject. Terminal Fettler wrote some fantastic advise on this subject and with his permission i might write it up in Word or pdf format and post it on this forum.
    No problem, but please fix all the atroshuss spelling

From
    Norwich UK

terminal fettler said: View Post
    No problem, but please fix all the atroshuss spelling
    No problums

From
    Madison, Wisconsin

The good news is ppl, the first thin silicone layer ha snow set. After an in depth disscussion with the supplier i think i did not add enough 'catalyst' to the silicone. They recommended 5ml of catalyst to every 100g of silicone. It should have been 5.5ml to every 100g (if done by weight). so when you consider the residue left in the pipette, i probable only added 4.5ml (so a short fall of 1ml), and hence the very slow curing time. So i am going to add 6ml next time and some pigment to ensure an even mixture. I will attempt this tonight and post more pics tomorrow.

Oh i hope he gives permission that would help me out tremendously!!!!

From
    Norwich UK

Well i puth the second thin coat on last night and this morning it had cured completely. I guess i have the mixtures correct now .

btw Terminal Fetlet has given me permission to write up his hints on this subject (i will be posting them as soon as).

I will attempt the thick final layers this weekend and keep you all informed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8c6b4875-e82b-caf9-91f93e4989977cfb-jpg   8c6be872-c359-de02-aad50bc059cd3ae2-jpg   8c6cbc60-f0cd-1998-4847a5b51d7e9514-jpg  

8c65cd49-d353-bd33-17af455f95f25b5d-jpg   8c6649af-9d05-3340-7099562e34493ea4-jpg   8c6715fb-eebf-47bc-85b74215f91b824e-jpg  

mmm I love progress pics.....

Good stuff there mate, I love watching the mold build up over the layers, something strangely satisfying! I can't wait to see it finished. Greaat work there Jon.

Dan

From
    Norwich UK

and more silicone (thicker layers now). one more layer to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 923bb6c4-db5a-e7c3-885a5cbafe187801-jpg   923c807a-ff6a-5a14-105786c71ad807c2-jpg   923d4229-a15b-66b3-d6d79b745cdb6c7d-jpg  

From
    Roanoke, TX

Are you going to be adding any keys to your silicone mold for it to hold with its jacket. And what were you planning on using for your jacket?

Looking good so far.

From
    Norwich UK

Just added extra thickness to the silicone where i think it needed it (around the ears etc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-jpg   4-jpg   5-jpg  

6-jpg  

From
    Norwich UK

And the plaster jacket

i put a plasticine barrier on with 3 small indents to act as keys. then applied my first half of the plaster jacket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-jpg   8-jpg   9-jpg  

10-jpg  

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

It's coming along nicely

From
    Madison, Wisconsin

its coming together nicely man! Great photos too, this will help me when i finish my scratchbuilt helmet and decide to mold and cast it. Awesome job

From
    Norwich UK

and the bonus part is that my wife finally has her kitchen back as well

From
    Norwich UK

IT WORKED, IT WORKED

i have not uploaded the pics yet but i now have a perfect silicone mould of my scratch built bucket, and the male cast came out whole as well (will keep it just for sentimental value).

the silicone mould is lovely and has picked out every single detail, i am happy

will post pics ASAP

Congrats Jon! I can't wait to see the first pull. Are you going to be doing a run of these or are they for yourself only?

From
    uk

great news, looking forward to seeing the pics

Awesome job, dude!! Those pics really help out with putting in the keys to line up the mold. How did you do the other half? I know that putting on the second half of the plaster jacket would create the holes for the pegs to lock into, but did you have to coat the separation line with something so the new plaster wouldn't stick to the existing plaster half? Hope that makes sense.

When I make my mold jackets I coat the first half with vaseline where the two halves will join.

From
    Norwich UK

mandalore697 said: View Post
    When I make my mold jackets I coat the first half with vaseline where the two halves will join.

thats exactly what i did (great minds think alike )

well here are rest of the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-jpg   13-jpg   14-jpg  

17-jpg   18-jpg   20-jpg