Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Aug 16, 2006, 9:14 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #51

Hey Chris....PM sent, got an offer for ya...no strings.... ..
    Aug 16, 2006, 10:53 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #52

I know it has been said a dozen times alreday but man that sucks. I was hopeing that the title of the thread was a joke but man I was almost sick to my stomach when I saw it wasn't. Personally I would get a new helmet and do a new paintjob. I would attempt to fix this one just for sentimental value but I would get a new one. The signatures aren't that hard to replace, it's not like either Daniel or Jeremy don't go to tons of cons.
    Aug 16, 2006, 11:26 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #53

It is disheartening to see something like this. All of the work you put into your suit and helmet are what inspired me to do my own Fett.

Let us know if you find out if it really was an accident or if there was a perpetrator and who did it. Place a bounty on his head for all of us
    Aug 16, 2006, 11:27 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #54

thats horrible chris. *starts building a little coffin for the helmet* ill have it sent out some time this week. im sorry for your loss.
  5. Aug 16, 2006, 11:44 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #55

How shameful to see this happen to your helmet Chris.
    It really made me sad, one of your pride and joy "things" demolished as such.
    I hope you are able to repair it and make it for display safe at home.
    Most really do not grasp the work, or for that matter the blood, sweat and tears that goes into our hobby. More tears when things like this happen.
    Keep us posted on the salvage of it.
    So sad.....really.
    Last edited by crazy4BobaFett; Aug 17, 2006 at 1:14 AM.
    Aug 17, 2006, 12:11 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #56

I quietly mourn your loss my brother .
    Aug 17, 2006, 12:14 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #57

A NIGHTMARE!!!

Im very sorry that this has happened to you!!! This is what Im afraid of:

coming home and find your props (espacially helmets!) smashed on the floor...
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Aug 17, 2006, 12:22 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #58

It looks like Spideyfett might already be on this, but.........we could start a TK409 fund to get him a new bucket. I don't know Chris personally , but I've used his tutorials and other contributions he's made. There's enough of us, so if we each send him $5, $10, $15 or whatever, we could pay for his new one easy.

What do you guys (and ladies) think?

Chris, if it's cool with you put your paypal addy out there for people to donate to, if it's OK w/ the mods and the Dent.

Just a thought.

Aug 17, 2006, 2:28 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #59

AHHH!!! Sorry Chris.

It does look repairable to me though. Those are large pieces. I would definetely try to salvage it.
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Aug 17, 2006, 2:33 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #60

I really really feel your pain, Chris This same thing happened to 2 of my helmets. 1 Sgt Fang MH helmet and a MSH helmet. The MH helmet is repairable. Mine was in 5 or six pieces. I used Epoxy and it worked great! You might need to repaint though. Good luck!

-Micke
    Aug 17, 2006, 3:05 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #61

What!?
    *heart stops beating for a moment*
    Chris, you have been my costuming hero for years, and this breaks my heart. As many others have mentioned, your website has been an invaluable resource to this community. I'm sure you will find a way to repair the helmet...and I hope the individual responsible for this catastrophe is found.
    Aug 17, 2006, 8:07 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #62

Chris, so sorry man, this is one of those things that just breaks your heart but there is nothing that you can really do about it and being angry won't help either.

I tend to agree with you that this probably was not malice but carelessness that caused this. I had a similar thing happen to me. Not nearly as big a deal but similar damage. I have a Don Post stormtrooper bucket that is made of that rotocast vinyl stuff (you saw it at my house). I had it on a shelf in my closet, during a B-day party at my house the kids got in there and they played with it without me knowing. When they put it back it felll off the shelf onto the carpet and I got almost the same hole in the top that your bucket shows, along with a huge crack through the thing. If I can get that kind of damge with a "soft" helmet then it's easy to believe that this damage could have been accidental with a more ridgid helmet like yours.

I think you should try to fix it, I'm sure you could. This is YOUR bucket man! You can't just toss it aside. I'd definitely use it for display only once you fix it though, and not at the office

Good luck bud.
    Aug 17, 2006, 8:38 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #63

Like someone else already said......It makes me feel sick. But don't you kinda want one of those new metal helmets anyway?.......it's kinda hard to be encouraging.....sorry Chris.
    J-ROCK
    Aug 17, 2006, 9:21 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #64

I wore my TK to work once and some butt munch grabbed my resin E-11 and broke several parts off. It's cool that you have the costume at work, but at the same time you never know what can happen when you are not around. I hope you can get things fixed.
    Aug 17, 2006, 10:52 AM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #65

Sorry for the loss Chris... sucks. I'd jump on the Sgt Fang run on the RPF and fix this one for display.... in your house.... locked up....
  16. Member Since
    May 2005
    Aug 17, 2006, 2:49 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #66

I am impressed at how you took this. I would have been on my knees screaming like Vader, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" It looks to me like that hole in the dome looks was struck with something. I'm no CSI wiz, unless it hit the corner of the desk, I think it looks intentional... It does look fixable though. Post picks on it so we may learn from your experience, so we can deal with this if it happens to us... I pray that it never does.
    Aug 17, 2006, 3:38 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #67

Just next time, should you keep your fett in your office, you should hide a small security camera behind the visor on the manaquin head, other wise known as "Fett TV"

-TUBACHRIS
    (you can also add a little voice box saying "your on candid camera!")
    Aug 17, 2006, 7:02 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #68

I have to echo The_Sith_Hunter and say I'm inspired I am by how you took this awful carnage. Things can be replaced, I know I forget that sometimes. So many of us looked up to that helmet Chris. Damn you've got your PMA - positive mental attitude!
    Aug 17, 2006, 7:30 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #69

Seriously you guys are very nice. There is no need to send me money, that's not why I posted this, but I thank you for your thoughtfulness. I'll get this fixed up and maybe get one of Sarge's new helmets too.
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.
    - Chris

Quote MandalorFett said: View Post
    It looks like Spideyfett might already be on this, but.........we could start a TK409 fund to get him a new bucket. I don't know Chris personally , but I've used his tutorials and other contributions he's made. There's enough of us, so if we each send him $5, $10, $15 or whatever, we could pay for his new one easy....
  20. Member Since
    May 2002
    Aug 17, 2006, 8:25 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #70

The guy who made the helmet didnt make it thick enough! I got mine from the same guy and had to add an extra layer of glass mesh. I feel for you Chris!!
    -Scott
    Aug 17, 2006, 10:02 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #71

awe duuude that sucks hardcore! I really feel for you bro!
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Aug 18, 2006, 2:08 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #72

YEEEEOWCH!!! My poor baby...

Does the mannequin have a fiberglass head? I think the mannequins forehead slamming downward is what caused the hole in the forehead- I can see from the break edges that it was broken outward from the inside.

I agree, it was probably night cleaning staff or something and they just got (EXPENSIVELY) clumsy.

I'd just piece him back together for sentimentality's sake and retire him to being a display item. (that's what I do with all my favorite coffee mugs when they die. )

I'll make sure you get a free, or at least greatly reduced one to replace it eventually, you've given me so much free publicity on these things over the years, it's the least I can do.

-Sarge
    Aug 18, 2006, 2:17 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #73

Quote SgtFang said: View Post
    I'll make sure you get a free, or at least greatly reduced one
    Oh, yeah, um, I broke mine, too. No, I mean, I broke, um, THREE of them. Yeah, that's it. They all fell off the shelf at the same time....yeah...

Seriously, though, Chris, that sucks. I had the same accident with a worthless DP '95, so I can imagine your frustration over this. Personally, I'd love to see pics of the repair work!
    Aug 18, 2006, 2:23 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #74

I think its very repairable but I would never troop in it again. No amount or repair will give it the strength to troop... but display wise it would be fine!
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Aug 18, 2006, 2:29 PM - Re: TK409 Helmet Smashed (viewer discretion advised) #75

Quote batninja said: View Post
    Oh, yeah, um, I broke mine, too. No, I mean, I broke, um, THREE of them. Yeah, that's it. They all fell off the shelf at the same time....yeah...

Hehe, I KNEW someone was gonna to say that...

-Sarge