I couldn't decide if I wanted to post this when it was completed, or if I should post it as a WIP. So, after some sound advice I figured I would get some feedback as progress rolled along. Ive already completed a few stages of work, so Ill try to get everyone up to speed...
Now I was one of the lame guys that found my inner Fett well past the time that the GMH project was initiated and I caught on to this somewhere in the last six months when it seemed like the last of the initial buyers had been receiving theirs from FettPride.
I was seriously bummed out with the thoughts of never owning one until the secondary market opened up and not only did I score one, but last week I was able to get my greedy hands on another. Both Resin, numbers 47 and 73. After a bit of a debate as to being up to the challenge and questioning my skills to pull this off, I said "Screw it, let's do this!"... This will be the the painting of number 73.
I started with the "prep" work of cutting and mounting the visor. I wanted to preserve every detail of this helmet due to the nature of its history, so I did absolutely nothing to the exterior other than applying two coats of Floquil primer, and a matching two coats of Floquil bright silver.
I began the paint process as I've liked to do with my past paint ups, with the back panels. Using Rafalfett's (Mr.Perfection) stencils I masked out the Bright Silver damage and layed down a light grey custom mixture of Reefer grey enamel and Floquil primer(3:1) with a hint of Bright Silver mixed in to preserve luminosity. After scrutinizing over the few photos of the original PP2, It seemed the back panels had a slight reflective quality, and by adding the bright silver adds just a slight shimmer to the opaque gray mixture and helps give this layer a true base metal look.
This was followed up by a patterned SP Lark Dark Gray misted layer. (Thanks Superjedi.)
After masking the next layer of damage, the next paint to be laid down was the infamous custom color known "Jayvee's Chameleon Green". (I learned of this formula from the man himself. Not only is he a meticulous painter, he is a wealth of knowledge and a heck of a nice guy!) when this masking layer was removed it revealed the awesome varying shades of Gray beneath. This was followed up by a misting of the same mixture I used for the base metal. I tried to accentuate the 'light' areas of the patterned gray that was applied in the previous step.
Again, by studying reference pictures, I was able to apply some of the topical scratches both with paint, and using the super fine point of an X-acto blade.
Next up: Key slots!
After masking the Silver damage, I applied the first layer of my "Base Metal" mix followed by multiple layers of misting. SPLark Dark gray to create shadows and to contrast the Bright Silver, another misted layer consisting of a few drops of Testors 'Flat Brown' enamel and some Floquil 'Up Armor Yellow' combined with some enamel thinner in order to make it transparent. I applied this extremely light according to the the photo of the keys to the original PP2. Topical scratches were added using 'Base Metal' and this was followed by a misted layer of primer along the flat areas of the key slots to give it that dusty look.Back Trim:
I began the back trim in the same fashion as the key slots. Masked the silver, sprayed 'Base metal'.
I then masked the next layer in order to apply the next color: 'Sandy Rose'. I had to experiment a bit to get this to where I thought it was right.
I came up with a mixture of Caboose/Flesh/Reefer White (3:1:1) with a few drops of Reefer Gray in order to add a hint of gray to it. this was then re-masked for a layer of Caboose. SP Lark Dark Gray was added topically and the whole back trim was misted with Reefer Gray and my Primer(dust) mist was added along the top edge.
Well, thats where I am up to date.
More updates coming soon! Please give me any input you guys may have, I'd love the advice!