Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 15, 2004, 5:34 PM - **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting #1

Many of you may recall the Boba Fett helmet casting/plug that was offered a few months back on eBay. I instantly began to research the item and started communicating with the seller. My research revealed that FXdudes declarations were correct and I was able to confirm that the plug was indeed a first generation casting from a REAL helmet. I made an offer after the auction was closed and through kindness,fate or blind luck he accepted my offer.

While the helmet looked warped in the eBay action, the "warpage" was completely due to the lens focal length and camera type (which was disclosed in the auction). As you can see from my pics below taken with the equivalent of a 50mm lens to give a true eye view, there is no warpage in the helmet at all only asymmetry from the original helmet (Photon Magic photographed it he will be happy to answer questions) . This is just another example of why images can be so deceiving! The surface is also not rough it's actually smooth to touch. The illusion is created by the fact the casting was sealed with a copper paint to prevent moisture damage and the green areas are oxidation. Except for a few chips here and there it's in perfect condition.

Before anyone asks, let me say I currently have no intentions of going into the helmet making business. Others here on the board have that market pretty well wrapped up. I just wanted this piece to add to my personal collection but I also wanted to share it with you because it's another great piece in the growing history of Boba Fett. Enjoy!

Just wanted to include this as well. It's a comp showing how focal length messes with perspective.

I have been getting many requests to show comps of helmet well instead of comping it to a fanmade I had a little fun and did my best to splice it on a real one. Not much of a fan of doing this but it was all in fun. Enjoy.

Here's one with Brak's cool little eyes helmet picture. again just goofing nothing more.
    Apr 15, 2004, 5:40 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #2

Well I guess I was wrong on this one. I was extremely doubtful of the owner's claim...but now I believe it. That was a very very bad picture of it from the auction. I am guessing this is an ROTJ helmet?
    Apr 15, 2004, 5:45 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #3

Oh my dear, that's amaizing Lee!
    So by you stating that you're not into the helmet making business...does that mean this won't create some helmets for us?

Bobo
    Apr 15, 2004, 6:15 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquire #4

That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time! Congrats on the beautiful collector's piece you have aquired. What's it cast in? Plastic or FG?
  5. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 15, 2004, 6:18 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #5

It was cast in Ultracal all 32 lbs of it LOL.
    Apr 15, 2004, 6:48 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #6

Hey, congratulations Lee! I'm glad to know it went to a good home.
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2004
    Apr 15, 2004, 7:02 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #7

Lee:

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to be the first person to get to photograph this piece of Star Wars history! Although I don't have the technical expertise to appreciate as much of the details of the helmet as most of the other board members would, it certainly is impressive to look at and shoot.

Mike
    Apr 15, 2004, 7:15 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquire #8

HO-LEE-CARP!

I expect to see a "SEEKER face" any moment now...

Great score Lee!
    Apr 15, 2004, 8:30 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #9

Damn, Damn, Dammmmnn!
    Apr 15, 2004, 8:59 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #10

You lucky YOU! The dents and nics look consistant with those on a Pre-pro helmet ....... Vive le pre-pro!
    Apr 15, 2004, 9:12 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #11

While the dents and dings match precisely, it is possible that this helmet was not a direct casting off the Prepro 2, but rather a direct casting of a helmet that came from the same mold as the Prepro 2 helmet, which included the same physical damage.

Apr 15, 2004, 9:13 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #12

True, very True.
    Apr 15, 2004, 9:45 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #13

Sweet dude! You got the hook up!!
    Apr 15, 2004, 10:33 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #14

I just shat myself!
    Apr 15, 2004, 11:22 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #15

Thats pretty wild Lee!!!! Congrats!! Hope you didn't have to give your right arm for it
  16. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #16

Dented helmet = Dented wallet

Thanks everyone!

Lee
    Apr 15, 2004, 11:46 PM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #17

Holy crap!

Congrats man, that's frickin' beautiful!
  18. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Apr 16, 2004, 1:16 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #18

You Sir, are the man Sir...
    Congrats to you,
    ST
    Apr 16, 2004, 1:25 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #19

C'mon...
    Give in to the darkside. Make some helmets...
    Apr 16, 2004, 3:29 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #20

WOOHOO!!!!!!

That is just amazing Lee, i hate to think what it cost, but to me it was worth every penny you paid.

Thats a piece of history you own there.

Nathan
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Apr 16, 2004, 5:02 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #21

UN...BE...LIEVEABLE!

WOW. I can't think what else to say Lee - except to quote Luke from ESB..."Why didn't you tell me?".

Aweseome.

Chris
  22. formerly BingoBongo275 Star Wars Helmets's Avatar
    Apr 16, 2004, 6:56 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #22

WOW!!

That is really Impressive!!!!

...and never worry about the cost; when questioned (interrogated?) by my wife I always refer to my purchases as "investments"

Nice one

Jez
  23. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 16, 2004, 7:50 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #23

LOL. I had a tough time getting this one past the spousal approval process.
    Apr 16, 2004, 10:01 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquired #24

damn great
    congrats
    now you need to make a great and secure shelf for that

Apr 16, 2004, 11:43 AM - Re: **TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting acquire #25

That would make a nice display piece at the TDH MotF panel at D*C this year. {hint, hint}