Tamiya Acrylic Vs Humbrol Enamels for an ESB paintjob

From
    Sydney,Australia

Hi all, newbie here. I'm tossing up between using Tamiya Acrylics or Humbrol Enamels for my ESB ASOK CC helmet. I'm leaning towards the Tamiya as I have a big collection that I could use to mix the correct colours, and for ease of clean up. I'm a little worried that they won't hold up as well to liquid masking. Any advice appreciated!

From
    Christchurch New Zealand!

I used a mixture of the tamiya acrylics and tamiya rattle cans on my bucket and the worked out fine with liquid masking
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Re: Tamiya Acrylic Vs Humbrol Enamels for an ESB paintjob

I honestly think it will be more about whats available to you more, and how much you want to spend. From your info, the tamiya acrylics may well be the way to go, as you already have them, and are obviously already used to using them. With acrylics too, ad you say, the cleanup is easier. That being said, I actually prefer the humbrol enamels. While cleanup is a little more with thinners etc, I find the finish and paint quality excellent, very available in my area in Australia, and as people have done full esb paintups with humbrol enamels, the colour lists are already out there, with far less colour testing and mixing needed. Just a couple of pros and cons, but ultimately, it will be more of a personal preference.. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly think it will be more about whats available to you more, and how much you want to spend. From your info, the tamiya acrylics may well be the way to go, as you already have them, and are obviously already used to using them. With acrylics too, ad you say, the cleanup is easier. That being said, I actually prefer the humbrol enamels. While cleanup is a little more with thinners etc, I find the finish and paint quality excellent, very available in my area in Australia, and as people have done full esb paintups with humbrol enamels, the colour lists are already out there, with far less colour testing and mixing needed. Just a couple of pros and cons, but ultimately, it will be more of a personal preference.. :-)

From
    Sydney,Australia

Re: Tamiya Acrylic Vs Humbrol Enamels for an ESB paintjob

Jayvee said: View Post

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the input. I do agree that humbrols come out with a nicer finish, I have some but will need to buy a lot more to complete the job, plus thinner too.... very tempted....