Subscribe
    Nov 8, 2007, 12:41 PM - t visors #1

who should i buy from??mines a scratch built bucket so i don t know what type cause the helmets bigger than my rubies bucket.
    Nov 8, 2007, 1:32 PM - Re: t visors #2

I used a welders faceshield from a welding supply shop, they're cheap and can be cut to fit any helmet.
    Nov 8, 2007, 1:40 PM - Re: t visors #3

could u post a pic of youre helmet please so i know how it looks??and also how cheap???
    Nov 8, 2007, 1:53 PM - Re: t visors #4

usually under $10
    Nov 8, 2007, 2:05 PM - Re: t visors #5

do a search. and put in "visor" "t visor" etcc.. u get the idea
    there are alot of threads on visor installs as well as pics of inside the lids
    Nov 8, 2007, 2:10 PM - Re: t visors #6

Nov 8, 2007, 2:47 PM - Re: t visors #7

Every City should have a welding supply store...just go in and but a grade 5 face sheild.

cut and install... make a template out of cardboard first.
    Last edited by Sixxgunn13; Nov 8, 2007 at 11:23 PM.
    Nov 8, 2007, 4:03 PM - Re: t visors #8

I posted up pics and instructions on how to make your own template and T-visor in another thread. I can't remember which one, but I'll re-post it here later on for you.

Here's the visor that I used for three helmets that I've scratch-built. It's a dark green replaceable safety face shield and it cost me under $8 Canadian after all taxes. With a dark background behind it, it appears black.

Once you've got a face shield, you'll have to make a template to aid in both cutting and mounting the finished t-visor. Take some cardboard ( from a cereal box works great ) and roughly cut it so that you can fit it on the inside of the visor opening... remove just enough material so that it'll clear the insides of the cheeks and sit relatively flush. ( I keep the top edge against the inside ridge that's just below the dome, this way I won't have to cut that edge on my template and ensures a snug fit that'll make it a snap to line up the finished visor. )

Hold or loosely tape the cardboard in place, as you'll need to remove it later. Take a pencil, and from the outside, trace the opening onto the cardboard. Now you can remove the cardboard and discard the tape and draw your template. ( I like to give myself a 2cm edge around the visor opening with extra at the ears. ) Once you've drawn your lines, you can now plot your mounting hole placement. ( These holes in your template will be used to mark locations on both the t-visor and on the inside of the helmet to ensure that they line up. )

Your template should look something like this...

To transfer the template onto the face shield, I first taped off the entire front surface of the shield with green painters tape. Mark the centre of the visor and tape the template in place. Trace onto the tape remembering the mounting holes, and remove the template. Now it's time to drill the holes, then you can cut out the visor. ( I used a dremel with a reinfoced cut-off disk, works great. ) Clean up the edges with some sand paper or a sanding drum on the dremel. You can remove the tape now, but I prefer to leave it on until after the mounting screws are installed as this prevents any accidental damage to the visor.

When you're done with the template, don't discard it. I keep mine to use as temporary visors while I work on and paint the helmet.

I used chicago or boston screws with plastic washers used for kitchen faucets, to mount my visors. Just mark the spot and super glue the portion with the inside threads, to the inside of the helmet. This allows for easy removal of the t-visor for either replacement, or to prevent damage while you work on or repair the helmet.

And viola... the finished product!!

Last edited by Jango72; Nov 8, 2007 at 8:08 PM. Reason: added additional information & pictures
    Nov 12, 2007, 10:41 PM - Re: t visors #9

thnx for the instructions i really needed it.could i get it at these retailers HOME HARDWARE,Canadian Tire,and a rona in the town next door??
    Nov 13, 2007, 6:03 AM - Re: t visors #10

Every thing except for the visor should be easy to find at any one of those hardware stores you mentioned. I picked up the screws and washers at Home Depot. ( the screws are in the fastener aisle in the specialty fastener section, and the plastic washers in the plumbing section, with the sink hardware stuff. )

The only part that you'll have to hunt for is the visor. I'd suggest thumbing through your yellow pages for local welding/safety supply stores in your area, and give them a call. Most of the stores you mentioned won't carry the replacement visors, or the tinted variety. All they have are clear ones with the full headgear, which you won't use/need.
    Nov 13, 2007, 8:48 AM - Re: t visors #11

That face shield is awesome! And I just discovered there's a place to get stuff like that within walking distance of my place. Woohoo!
    Nov 13, 2007, 3:32 PM - Re: t visors #12

thnx could u name a few stores that will carry a face sheild??
    Nov 14, 2007, 11:36 AM - Re: t visors #13

Quote Devin Jax said: View Post
    thnx could u name a few stores that will carry a face sheild??
    Look in your phonebook yellow pages.

Look under welding.

Most welding supply shops sell the shade 3 and shade 5 face shields.
    Nov 15, 2007, 8:31 PM - Re: t visors #14

thnx never thought of that ripcord thnx
    Nov 15, 2007, 8:32 PM - Re: t visors #15

oh and another problem i live in a village....and i do not go to a city very often just the town next door called Exeter.
    Apr 11, 2009, 1:15 PM - Re: t visors #16

Hi all I just bought a MR and I'm planning to fix the pinch of the T-visor, but that meens that I will need a new visor, I'm going for the ROTJ SE version and I wonder what color it is on the visor and where to buy one welders visor with that collor?
    //Oscar//
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 11, 2009, 4:11 PM - Re: t visors #17

Well ROTJ SE is definitely dark green, however as long as I'm on this board, the on screen ESB visor colour is up for debate, haha.
    Apr 12, 2009, 4:06 AM - Re: t visors #18

So where can I find one (darkgreen) for my MR helmet?
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 12, 2009, 6:35 AM - Re: t visors #19

Apr 13, 2009, 6:30 AM - Re: t visors #20

Look's awsome, but I can't find where to buy it :P
    Where's the buy button ?