Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 15, 2009, 1:42 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #26

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I have an image saved of the different versions of the eyes. I think I've decided which one to use. Now I just have to figure out the best way to transfer them to the dome!

Quote mmgraphics said: View Post
    I am curious how you get done the previous and then overpainted "old" eyes on the front part of the dome. have you thought about that yet? Painting them on and spraying over?
    I'm actually doing the Eyes version, not the 2nd version where the eyes were switched to "ears."
    Nov 15, 2009, 4:48 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #27

UPDATE: Nov 15th

Beginning the damage! This is my favorite part of any paint job.
    I started with the lower right cheek. I'm using Polly Scale Reefer Gray and Bright Silver.

Nov 15, 2009, 5:35 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #28

UPDATE #2: Nov 15th

Lower left cheek.

Nov 15, 2009, 6:11 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #29

Looking great! I don't remember anyone doing this version (at least not recently) and you are doing a bang up job so far!
    Nov 16, 2009, 5:47 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #30

Thanks! Yes, the PP1's are relatively few and far between. I just have always been fascinated by the "evolution" of the different paint jobs, and apart from the McQuarrie concept designs, this is the first "direct ancestor" of the screen used ESB.

Minor update: I didn't like how the Reefer Gray was looking on the lower cheeks, so I went back and changed it to SP Lark gray. Much more satisfying contrast. Pics to come!
    Nov 16, 2009, 7:24 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #31

UPDATE: Nov 16th

More work on the cheeks. I changed the Reefer Gray for SP Lark Dk. Gray and it gives a much closer contrast to the reference pics.
    Here's the right side.

Here's the left side. It isn't complete yet. There's another area of damage on the vertical edge in front of the ear, similar to the ESB helmet.

It's coming along!
    Nov 17, 2009, 4:36 AM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #32

Very nice!
    Nov 17, 2009, 10:00 AM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #33

Really great progress here. I'm anticipating my first build in the next month or so - your approach to putting this together is generating a lot of ideas for my own work! Thanks for the posting!
    Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 AM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #34

I probably asked this question in a previous thread of yours, but could you describe which brushes you like to use for the topical parts? Thanks!
    Nov 17, 2009, 2:09 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #35

nice! the eyes helmet is what made me decide to do a captain rex costume. at some point i want to paint one up myself so that i can show the transition from rex to boba.
    Nov 17, 2009, 6:41 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #36

Yeah, I noticed Capt. Rex had the same markings on his dome. Definitely a lineage there.

Quote Rich D. said: View Post
    I probably asked this question in a previous thread of yours, but could you describe which brushes you like to use for the topical parts? Thanks!
    Sure, I just use Testors Model Master brushes in sizes 0 and 000. Not sure exactly what type of bristles they have, but they're well made and if you take care of them will last for a long time.
    Nov 17, 2009, 8:28 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #37

Jedi,

We crave more pics, like old women crave cobbler!
    Nov 18, 2009, 9:23 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #38

Mmmmmmmm. . . cobbler.

UPDATE: Nov 18th

Cheeks are done. I got that last portion of the left upper cheek completed.

Also began the damage on the dome. I started with the area around the turn signals.

The remainder of the dome will be tricky. There aren't really any good "oblique" shots of the rest of the damage areas (except for just above the left ear) so there will be a large amount of guesswork involved. I think I should be able to place most of it OK, but it'll be like trying to place the damage on the rear panels again.
    I wish it stayed light later so the pics wouldn't come out so grainy! Maybe I'll try to take some better ones this weekend.
    More to come!
    Nov 18, 2009, 9:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #39

The jealousy rises in me like the stomach acid after a round of atomic buffalo wings from Quaker Steak.... lol

Honestly, vod. Your paintwerk borders on the perverse in it's quality. I really wish I could watch this process in person. Ever think of doing a video WIP?
    Nov 21, 2009, 1:23 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #40

Mad Skilz. That' all I can say.
  16. formerly NoHumorMan Too Much Garlic's Avatar
    Nov 21, 2009, 3:32 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #41

What a cool and smooth looking paint job.
    Nov 21, 2009, 5:43 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #42

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Nov 21st

Well, this will about do it for all the "clear" reference for the dome. After this it will be guesswork and lots of sketching.
    I began with a small damage area on the crown. Still just using the SP Lark and Bright Silver.

That was pretty quick, so I moved on to the area above the left ear. There's one great reference shot of this area so the positioning wasn't too difficult to do.

The reference pic shows this area after the helmet had been redone from the "Eyes" to the "Ears" version, so kill stripes were added, but it's interesting to see that the stripes were painted on to mesh with the existing damage. Here's a slightly closer view.

A bit more work on the dome, then it's on to the mandibles and "hat band."
    I'm still working up my courage to paint the Eyes!
    Nov 22, 2009, 12:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #43

UPDATE: Nov 22nd

Whew! This was pretty nerve-wracking. . . but the helmet has eyes!!

This took a while to do. I was really careful, double checking measurements and trying not to breathe too hard while painting.
    I used Floquil Grimy Black to paint them on using a template found here on TDH a while back. It gave several versions of the eyes, and I picked the one I felt most closely matched the reference pics.

I also began some of the small chips on the upper band of the mandible area. Still using the same gray/silver as on the dome, along with a custom color based on PRR Maroon. I added some BAR Blue and PRR Bruns. Green to give it a deeper tone.

I can't shake the feeling that this helmet is staring at me. . .
    Nov 22, 2009, 1:56 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #44

Me too.... Its saying, come find me, take me to your home, together we will rule them alllllll. Muwahaaha.

Bro, your helmet, it is nefarious. LOL
  20. formerly NoHumorMan Too Much Garlic's Avatar
    Nov 22, 2009, 5:11 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #45

It looks like a frog with a wide evil grin in that last picture.
    Nov 22, 2009, 5:58 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #46

What a beautiful way to honor the evolution of the Fett helmet! I'm sure many of us will imitate your handiwork!
    Nov 22, 2009, 6:45 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #47

Quote Too Much Garlic said: View Post
    It looks like a frog with a wide evil grin in that last picture.
    Holy ****, it does!!!!
    Nov 22, 2009, 8:36 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #48

thank you for doing this helmet justice SJ!
    Nov 23, 2009, 6:23 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #49

Thanks again, all. This is certainly a challenging paint up!

Now, a question for people with (hopefully) better eyesight than me.
    This helmet which us detail-obsessed nutjobs commonly call the Pre-Pro version 1 was itself changed early in the production process. The version I'm painting, strictly because of personal preference, is the one we call the "Eyes" version. Of course, somewhere along the line in the process the "Eyes" were changed to "Ears," with the Eyes being erased (by subtle weathering) and replaced by other markings higher on the dome.
    From the precious little available reference that exists on this helmet, every other detail appearing on both the Eyes and Ears version seems to be identical. Which leads me to my question.
    The Ears version has an obvious and well documented gouge on the upper left part of the dome. There are 2 good quality reference pics that show this feature. Here's what I mean.

On the Eyes version, there are no clear shots depicting this feature. There is one shot, taken in an outdoor setting where this angle of the helmet is visible, but the details are obscured by a reflection. Here's a portion of that shot.

My question is, if all other damage remained the same between the 2 versions of the PP1, would it logically follow that the long gouge was there the whole time? I originally didn't think so, but after studying the pics, I think it must have been. In the shot above, there certainly seems to be something within that reflection, but it's difficult to make out. Some blurry outlines seem to follow the silver part of the damage around that long gouge.
    I'd love to hear any thoughts on this! Or if someone has any other reference shots just floating around I'd love to see them!
    Persuade me!
    Nov 23, 2009, 7:03 PM - Re: Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet #50

That last pic is really bad, you can see the silver damage but not the actual gouge.
    but it could have been added after the addition of the "ears".
    Which later evolved into the dent as we know it.
    Last edited by Sixxgunn13; Nov 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM.