Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Superjedi's PP3 paintjob (TerminalFettler helmet)

From
    Newport News, VA

Superjedi's PP3 paintjob (TerminalFettler helmet)

Hi everyone!
    It's been a long time since I've posted any progress on any personal projects, but I've recently started something that I wanted to share.
    Some of you may have seen some of the threads I've done on ESB helmet paintjobs. The ESB scheme is my favorite, and I love painting up helmets in that pattern of damage. But a little while back, some AMAZING photos of the PP3 helmet were made available and I was just fascinated by how close yet subtly different the 2 paint schemes were. I thought it would be fun to see an ESB and PP3 side-by-side in 3D so to speak.
    So recently I picked up a TF fiberglass helmet from Garrett, (which looks so great, by the way!! ) and decided to paint it up in the PP3 scheme.

I'm using the same base colors as I normally do on my ESB paint jobs, just the positioning of the detailing/damage is being changed to match the reference shots of the PP3 bucket. This is more of a 'long term' project for me. I'm only working on it in my [very rare] spare time, but I've made enough progress that I now have something to show. Well, that and the fact I wanted an excuse to use my new 10.1 MP digicam. My old one died recently.

Here are a couple of overall shots of the helmet.

You can probably already see some of the differences in patterns between this bucket and the screen-used ESB.
    Here's a shot of the kill stripe side. Notice there are 15 stripes.

Here's a tighter view, showing some of the damage I've begun to paint in that area.

A couple shots of the back panels, showing the differences in the patterns. Lots more scratching and scraping on this helmet as well!

Here's what we normally refer to as the "cat scratch." Not sure what to call it on the PP3 helmet. But it's plain to see that MR used a hybrid of detailing from the PP3 and ESB paint jobs for their helmet.

I'll round off this post with a closer shot of the dent. The differences in detail are subtle, but they're there!

Thanks, Garrett, for producing a super nice helmet! I'll be proud to display this in my collection.
    More to come as I have time!
    Eric

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Re: Superjedi's PP3 paintjob (TerminalFettler helmet)

I was wondering when someone was going to do this paint job...

it has the best ref. photos IMO.

great job so far..

Very cool, cant wait to see it finished

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Awesome paintjob as always SJ! How it's going?

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys. I've had a little time here and there and I've managed to make some more progress.

Here's the dent/killstripe side of the dome. Pretty much finished the basic color application on the entire dome now. Weathering the whole helmet will come once all the painting is done.

Also got the cheeks done. Well, the right cheek and the lower left cheek anyway.

After I finish the upper left cheek, I'll begin on the red portions.
    More to come!

From
    UK

Great work bruv... I really enjoy watching your projects come alive as the paint is applied!

Nice work

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

How is it right now?

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys.
    And since you ask, KaanE, it's been going pretty slow lately. Not much time to work on my hobby projects.
    I've made a little progress on the left side of the helmet. I finished the upper left cheek

Then started some of the damage on the red areas

And I've started working on the left ear. The white arch was marked, masked, and sprayed with flat white. The damage was pre-masked with W&N masking fluid first. The black markings are dry-transfer letters.

I'm thinking I'll just work my way around this way, saving the main part of the mandibles for last (like I usually do )

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Awesome, you are doing a slow but really accurate paintjob. I love the threads like this one, with pics, and more pics, and more pics, and ...

From
    Newport News, VA

Well, speaking of more pics. . .
    Been making some headway lately. My algebra class is over now, so that frees up a bit more time for hobby stuff. Hooray!

I've finished the left ear, using Polly Scale Rock Island Maroon for the red damage. There are more fine scratches apparent on this ear than on the ESB helmet, and I used my compass tip to scratch those in. (Same technique as on the rest of the helmet.)
    You can see I've also started working my way around the red band.

Here are a couple more shots, just moving around toward the RF side.

Last one shows where I've done the bottom portion of the red area behind the ear. I'll start working my way up from this point.

It's starting to look more finished now.

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

man that looks awesome!

wow, indeed, quite excellent paintjob you have going there.

Wow!! Amazing paintjob!!!

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Yeah, that really is looking killer!!!!!! Keep it rolling!!!!

From
    Same planet as you, in a country that is below sea-level... the Nether-realm.. Oh wait.. Netherlands

seriously, this is one heck of a paint job!!

keep up the good work!!

I love all the hairline scratches, i think its this eye to detail that really makes the damage seem real and compliments the painted damage. How did you achieve the white paint scuffs? If that's what they are...

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, all. I'm enjoying this paint up.

Garrett, the scuffs are also scratched into the paint. I'm using an X-acto blade and scraping very lightly in multiple passes.
    There are a lot more scuffs than the ones I've done so far, but most of them will be done with pastels once the rest of the paint work is complete.

From
    Massachusetts

I love these threads.... so fun to watch unfold! Keep it up man!

terminal fettler said: View Post
    I love all the hairline scratches, i think its this eye to detail that really makes the damage seem real and compliments the painted damage. How did you achieve the white paint scuffs? If that's what they are...
    I am going to guess they are actual scratches down to the gel coat? DOH didnt see your post there Eric ha ha, so I am actually quoting you

From
    Newport News, VA

Headlesshunter, good guess! Yeah, it would be nearly impossible to paint all those tiny thin scratches on with any consistency, so I use my compass to scratch them on there.

OK, been getting some more done now that my algebra class is over. I've finished the rest of the red area behind the right ear, as well as the ear itself. I've also painted the removable portion, it's just not shown here. The silver portions won't be painted/detailed till the very end of my paint job, after the clear coats have been applied.

Here's an angle of the bottom wedge of the ear piece. Another slight variation from the 'standard' ESB paint job is that this one incorporates some black into the damage.

After the ear was painted, I began working on the red above the visor. I used several different reference pics to do this, tracing and stenciling a section at a time.

Another shot showing the completed left mandible. Again, the final scuffs aren't on there yet. They'll be done with pastels once I begin the final weathering.

On to the right mandible next!

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

You aren't a superjedi, you're a superpainter 8)

From
    SF Bay Area, CA

Very nicely done, as usual. Really interesting to see the differences between this and the ESB lids.

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks! Bubba, that was the primary reason I wanted to do this version. It's easy to see these 2 helmets were made to look like each other. But for what purpose? Final approval prior to filming? Was one meant to be a stunt helmet and the other a hero?
    The details of both are so similar. It's really cool to see this one nearing completion and sitting it next to my ESB FPH helmet and comparing them.

Speaking of nearing completion. . .

Got almost all the basic paint work done! I finished the right mandible earlier (finally), so now Boba has a complete face. Man, that right mandible just kills my wrist and fingers! Here it is.

The above shot also shows the black arch on the RF ear. It was masked and sprayed with plain ol' flat black. Still need to do the white portion, and finish the fine scratches.

Here's a close up of the right mand.

And another front shot just for fun.

I anticipate having the right ear finished by tomorrow, then I can begin the final dirtying and pastel weathering! Almost there. . .

I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA

Wow, you captured the detail well!

Nice job bud.