I wanted to share a couple pics of my renovated PP1 Boba helmet. I originally completed this helmet back in December, 2009. It's a Bobamaker "dentless" helmet, which was a nice helmet to work on. My original thread is here:
After having it completed on the display shelf for over a year, I had a couple of email exchanges with another member about colors and the color-correction of photos. He had done some work on a couple of reference shots, and once corrected, the dome/lower cheeks really appeared much closer to what a lot of us see when we look at the ESB or PP3 helmets!
I mulled it over for a few days, and since I hadn't done a lot of hobby projects lately, I decided it was time to rework my PP1!
This involved a lot of very careful masking, as I only wanted to repaint the dome and lower cheeks, not the whole bucket. So with a roll of blue painters tape and some clear plastic wrap in hand, I spent about an hour wrapping and taping everything off.
Once that was done, I wanted to avoid having to retrace the damage areas, so I used some masking fluid to cover those areas as best I could.
The dome/cheeks then got a couple coats of their new base color.
When I unmasked everything and rubbed off the masking fluid, the contrast between the now-green dome and the gray damage was very low. The gray pretty much disappeared at certain angles. Since all the shapes were still in place (thanks to Winsor & Newton!) I mixed up a custom darker gray shade with Reefer Gray and a few drops of PRR Green. I used this to repaint all the gray areas.
I dirtied down the helmet a bit with some brown and gray weathering powders, and a light spattering of a slightly lightened version of the base color. A very light dusting of Testors Dullcoat and here she is!
As you can see, I identified each maker along with the paint version. Here's another angle:
So, it looks a little odd (for now) because of the way I was used to seeing the helmet. . . in that lighter shade from the reference photos. But I'm really happy with the way this turned out. I think it fits in well with the rest of the Fett family.
Next project (hopefully soon): the PP2.
Thanks for looking,