I'm working on a quick personal project before I begin my next ESB paint commission.
Way back in the 20th century, there was a series of books called "The Art of [Star Wars,
The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi]." They had a lot of concept art, and
behind the scenes pics from the trilogy.
In The Art of The Empire Strikes Back, there was a whole page devoted to concept
art depicting different Boba Fett helmet designs. At that stage, I'm not sure if the
character was cemented as Boba Fett, or if it was still the Supercommando. In any
case, the helmet drawings look a lot different than what we're used to seeing!
There are 9 helmet drawings, plus a couple of full body sketches on the page. This
one is one of my favorites:
I decided to do this helmet pretty much as weathering practice. I began with
one of Animefan's excellent dentless Mando helmets. Since the concept has a totally
different ear/RF arrangement, Ryan was nice enough to sell me a helmet by itself with
no accessories. Thanks, man!
Here are a couple of shots of the helmet in primer, along with descriptions of the modifications.
Above, the left ear platform is simply that. . . a flat platform. The concept drawing shows
a slightly thicker section toward the top, so I measured and cut a simple rectangle of .020"
styrene and glued it on. I used some Bondo to fill in around the front and top faces. I also
filled the little rectangle in the surface of the cheek.
On the right side, the lower portion of the ear platform seems to be devoid of detail, so again,
I left it flat. The upper ear section was built up from 2 layers of 1/8" Sintra, laminated together
and carved to match the shape of the ear arch. A couple of small details were then glued on.
In the inner piece of Sintra, I cut out a slot for the RF stalk before gluing the 2 pieces together.
Using some Bondo, I filled in the circle where the Borden would normally go.
Pics of the RF assembly will come later.
Finally, there's absolutely no reference for the back of this helmet. The single drawing at the
beginning of this post is the only one. So I took a bit of artistic license and decided to change up
the detail in the keyslot section. I found a nice detail strip in my spare parts box and glued it
over the existing keyslots. I'm sure a lot of people will recognize the donor of that detail strip!
So that's the helmet in primer. The primer will actually be the base gray that shows through the
white topcoat. I have gone over the helmet with some Winsor & Newton masking fluid to mask
off those gray chips, and I'm getting ready to spray an off-white primer over that, then a random
cloudy coat of flat white.
More to come!