JUNE 3, 2011
Well, here I go again. I received my amazing GMH helmet this week and I will be painting it as the Pre-Pro 2 helmet.
This will NOT be a fast progress thread (sorry to disappoint anyone who's seen some of my previous threads) as I don't have nearly as much hobby time these days.
But I will endeavor to document everything in as much detail as possible.
The helmet itself is just sexy. It's hard to get a read on how it really looks in photos. The proportions and shapes never come across in two dimensions as they do when you're holding the helmet in your hands.
The casting work is, as expected, practically perfect. I got helmet #9, and there's one small "booger" on the filled-in visor section. However, this will be trimmed away once I cut out that area, so no big deal.
The ear parts and stalk look fantastic, too. I test fitted the ears against the sides of the helmet and the mating surfaces are dead flat. No problem attaching the ears to this bucket! I'm debating whether to get Mojo's aluminum ears when he offers them. If I do, it will bring an even greater level of authenticity to the helmet.
Anwyay, on to some pics. The first couple of shots show it as I received it, right out of the box.
As you can see, the physical damage marks are perfectly preserved and will serve as excellent landmarks in plotting out the damage once painting begins.
Here's a shot of my new baby with my FPH (ESB) and Terminal Fettler (PP3) helmets. This gives a good idea of the overall size and shapes of the various helmets.
The only thing I've done to the helmet so far is give it an acetone bath. Chris recommended doing this to remove any traces of mold release.
Here's a pre-bath shot:
By the way, Vinny's Pizza rules!!
After the acetone bath, I used some Palmolive dish soap and a Scotchbrite-type sponge to wash it off as well. This picture is post-acetone. Shiny!
So that's really it for today. Next up is cutting out the keyslots and visor areas!
Thanks for viewing,