Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 11, 2013, 7:04 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #76

SICK Detail.
    Jun 14, 2013, 7:13 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #77

Thanks for following along Redboy!

UPDATE: June 14, 2013

Going a bit slower than anticipated, but I had to take time to celebrate Mrs. Superjedi's
    birthday yesterday!

I've also encountered a problem with my good digital camera, so pics for the next few
    updates will be from my phone.

I worked around behind the right ear. Still using the same gray/silver/maroon as on the
    keyslots and the rest of the band and mandible areas.

Next will be the portions behind the left ear. The white "thumbprints" will come much later
    at the end of final weathering and sealing.
    Jun 15, 2013, 3:06 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #78

UPDATE: June 15, 2013

Still using my phone cam. . . so pics are kind of hit or miss.

Making lots of progress thanks to the weekend. I've gotten everything behind the ear
    platforms done, and I've moved on to the front of the mandibles. I started at the left
    corner of the visor.

Lots of detail crammed into that little corner! I also started moving across the "eyebrow" section
    above the visor cutout. I'm halfway across the front at this point.

I'll continue across the eyebrow area and then that will leave the mandibles themselves.
    Scott had requested that I install one of Mojo's replica Borden connectors, too. I'll be
    drilling out the molded-in Borden at some point and installing the crisp, beautiful brass one.
    Jun 15, 2013, 4:03 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #79

Excellent........
    Jun 16, 2013, 9:24 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #80

This is a MUST WATCH thread folks. most impressive
    Jun 16, 2013, 9:43 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #81

Thanks guys. Getting closer. . .

UPDATE: June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

Alright, now down to the serious business of mandible-ness. OK, maybe not quite so serious.
    Half of Boba's face is now complete.

For those who are familiar with the helmet as it exists today, you'll notice that there are some
    areas that seem to have some damage "missing." I'm doing this as the screen used version, so
    when I do the mandibles, I compare the reference pics from the various AOSW and MOM exhibits
    with hi-def screen caps to see which areas suffered additional damage over the years.
    Here's a slightly different angle, and a slightly clearer picture (silly phone camera).

The right mandible is next, and it will take me several sessions to complete. To me, that's
    the most intricate section on the entire helmet. Once the right mandible is complete, I'll work
    on the ears.
    Jun 17, 2013, 5:10 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #82

While I doubt anyone is surprised in the least, this is just once again looking amazing Eric.. Mad, mad skills my good man! :-)
    Jun 20, 2013, 7:07 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #83

Thanks Jonny. I'm still waiting for you to send me that ROTJ helmet.

UPDATE: June 20, 2013

For those of you who are astronomically-minded, Happy Solstice! It's the longest
    day of the year here in the northern hemisphere, and the extra daylight was very useful
    the last couple of days as I worked on the insanely intricate right mandible.

No pics of it in stages, I'm afraid, but here's how it came out.

This section of the helmet always melts my poor eyeballs. It's a series of very complex shapes,
    and the position and spacing of each shape is interdependent on others near it, so it's slow going.
    I always paint right next to my laptop, so I have a nice big reference pic on my screen as I go.

You may have noticed that I have also drilled out the molded-in Borden. The brass one from Mojo
    looks outstanding, and I'll be weathering that up and installing it once all the helmet weathering
    and sealing is complete.

I believe that completes all the "major" painting on the helmet. I still need to do the RF ear arch
    that extends into the dome, and I'll do that once I mask and spray the ear parts with Floquil Earth.
    Nearing the end now. . . whew!
    Jun 21, 2013, 1:11 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #84

I knew it! You are some kind of a robot... or android (no smartphone jokes here)... or something! There's no way that each time you provide us the same awesome paint job! That's not possible...
  10. Jun 21, 2013, 2:45 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #85

Great job on the right mandible, that part of the helmet is equivalent to the only ballad on a rock album, if you know what I mean and you got the harmonies spot on!
    Jun 21, 2013, 10:51 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #86

Loving the effort on this Eric!! Stunning work as always!

Scott
    Jun 22, 2013, 11:50 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #87

Scott, thanks man! Hopefully once you have this puppy I'll get to see some cool trooping pics.

Rafal, I'm not an android. . . as far as you know.

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    Great job on the right mandible, that part of the helmet is equivalent to the only ballad on a rock album, if you know what I mean and you got the harmonies spot on!
    Wow, that's quite poetic! Never could sing harmonies though.
    I have the singing voice of an angry elephant seal.

I've gotten some more work done since the last update, but I got tired of taking pics on my
    phone camera. So I bought a new digital camera this morning! It's charging up right now,
    and there will be a proper update later today.

I shined up the cold cast ears with some fine wire wool. They came out looking nice!
    They really have the appearance of worn stainless steel. I haven't worked with cold cast
    parts before and the effect is quite convincing. They're even kind of cold to the touch.
    Jun 22, 2013, 3:08 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #88

UPDATE: June 22, 2013

The new camera is charged up, and what better way to break it in than to take some
    pics of a Fett helmet!

As I mentioned in the last update, all of the major paint application has been completed on
    the helmet. So now I'm taking care of some final weathering and detail application.

First is the dent area. I've added the contrasting pale color in and around the dent. Also
    visible, yet subtle, are the blast streaks coming back from the dent. The streaks, as well
    as some grayish weathering on the inner cheeks, was done with some pastel powder.
    I really enjoy working with pastels. Once you get some practice with them, you can really
    achieve an almost airbrushed finish with much more control.

Next up, the thumbprints. These are a really odd feature of the ESB bucket. But since
    they appear on the screen-used helmet, on they go! And no, I didn't use my thumb to
    put these onto the helmet. . . I used my big toe.

This final pic shows the grease stains that appear randomly across the back of the dome. There
    are just a couple of lighter stains around the right and left sides, but most of this grime is limited
    to the back.

As you can see above, I've also done the RF ear arch, and the pale color that will be visible
    between the upper and lower halves of the right ear. The helmet has also been given a final
    sealing with Testors dull coat.

Ears and RF to come!
    Jun 22, 2013, 7:39 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #89

Stunning work there!
    Jun 23, 2013, 5:10 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #90

Hmm, I was more under the impression that those 'grease Stains' appeared on the aosw (and likely the special edition)version of the helmet, but not on the hero. I could well be wrong tho.. And as always, you know how much I love your paint ups.. In fact, I'm getting my lighter ready to wave in the air to your angry elephant seal love ballad as we speak! ;-)
    Jun 26, 2013, 7:19 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #91

Thanks, Mac!

Jonny, with the quality of the ESB screen caps I've seen, even the "hi-def" ones, it's really difficult (for me)
    to make out whether those stains were there during filming or not. I've seen what I think is a hint of a
    more brownish tone on certain parts of the rear of the dome. . . I think they certainly add some character
    to the helmet though.

UPDATE: June 26, 2013

Got some work done to the ears the past couple of days. Since this is a cold cast kit, I polished up the
    bare metal sections on the RF ear parts with some fine wire wool. It gave those sections a great looking
    sheen. I then masked those sections off and laid down the base color.

Once that was dry, I masked for the black upside down U-shape. I always have to cut my tape into
    really thin strips to get it to lay down in that curve. Like less than 1/8 inch thin. Once the outline is
    taped off, I add more tape to overlap the strips and cover the remainder of the ear piece. Then I
    airbrush the U-shape with Tamiya flat black in a few light coats.

The black dries overnight, then I mask for the white half-arch. Same technique, airbrushed
    with Tamiya flat white. I like airbrushing with Tamiya. It goes on nice and smooth, and gives
    good dense coverage.

While the upper RF ear was drying, I did the detail painting on the lower part. As seen above and below,
    I used SP Lark Dk Gray and Bright Silver once again. Here's a low angle shot showing the bottom
    of the piece.

The left ear was handled in a similar manner. Base coat sprayed, allowed to dry overnight, then
    masked for the white arch. For this side, I used some of my W & N masking fluid to block out the
    damaged sections of the arch, then airbrushed some of the Tamiya white. Unmasked, and photo snapped.

Please note that the ears are just temporarily installed for these shots. I do not paint the ear pieces
    while they're on the helmet! I've painted helmets before with built-in ears, and it's very fiddly business
    getting everything masked off.

Up next will be completing detail painting on the ear parts. Then it's on to the RF topper, and cutting
    and fitting the visor. We're nearly there now!
    Jun 27, 2013, 12:25 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #92

I just never get tired of these updates. Just awesome work here!
    Jun 29, 2013, 4:48 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #93

Thanks Wolf!

UPDATE: June 29, 2013

Sooo close now. . .

I've gotten more work done on the ears. The upper RF ear cap is always fun to do.
    Lots of nice little scratches, and it proves that my old hands aren't starting to shake yet.

Above, you can see that I've added the T and black circle that appear on the screen used helmet.
    In pics from the exhibits, these details are so worn that it's impossible to tell what they originally were.
    I still have to add the little black stripes to the bare metal section. You can also see that I've added
    some rusty stains to the RF stalk.

Here's another angle, but this is meant to show the Borden connector. Very nice brass piece from
    Mojofett. I weathered it by applying a green/gray wash over the entire piece, leaving it translucent
    so the base metal still shows thru. Then I applied a bit of silver around the edges to mimic the
    reference pics.

Here's the opposite side showing the work I did on the left ear. The black markings within the white
    arch are done with Woodland Scenics dry transfer lettering. I have never been able to find the original
    Letraset lettering that was used on the ESB helmet, but this set is a nice approximation. The T on the
    RF ear cap is a dry transfer letter as well.

In the shot of the left ear, I have also reapplied that faded strip below the kill stripes. When I dull coated
    the helmet a few days ago, the dull coat absorbed some of the fade, so I decided it needed to be more visible.

Next up, small markings on the RF ear pieces, then the range finder itself.
    After that, it's on to the visor and MQ-1 circuit board installation!
    Jun 29, 2013, 9:09 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #94

Splendid work my good man! :-)
    Jun 30, 2013, 2:03 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #95

How did I miss this? Eric, that is so Super! You keep painting I keep wanting more helmets.
    Jun 30, 2013, 5:29 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #96

Thanks guys.
    Luke! How have you been? Your TF ESB is gorgeous, I remember.

UPDATE: June 30, 2013

The last day of June already?? Where is this year going. . .

Alright, getting into the final stages now. Here are a couple of shots of the completed
    range finder. It's attached to the stalk with a small machine screw.

I know the backdrop isn't the greatest. Much better pics will follow when the helmet's all done.

I also worked on the keyslot insert. This isn't the piece that comes with the Asok kit. This is
    a piece I had with my Fett spares. Honestly I can't recall who made this piece, but it's a
    one-part cast of the upper half of the MQ-1 circuit board with a smooth lower half, just as it
    appears on the screen used helmet. I figured I'd use this piece since it was less work than cutting
    and building a platform for the circuit board part that came with the helmet.
    (If you look in a lot of my other threads, you'll see how many times I admit that I'm lazy! )

The piece sits on 4 little posts at the corners. I put a drop of super glue on each post and
    held it inside the helmet to make sure I had it positioned correctly. Then I added some reinforcements
    using 2-part epoxy putty. I formed it so that it has little "fingers" that extend over the piece to
    keep it secure.

Tomorrow I'll begin trimming and fitting the visor. Then it'll be on to final pics.
  22. Turrican is offline Turrican
    Jul 3, 2013, 5:49 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #97

Wow, that's some great stuff.
    Hope to can add something like this anythime in future to my collection.
    Jul 3, 2013, 6:25 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #98

Thanks, Turrican.

THE END: July 3, 2013

I received Scott's helmet kit on May 18th, and today wraps up the project. It's been 47 days
    to get it to completion. He's going to be using this as a "trooper," and I expect to see some
    awesome pics of it at some events!

Here are the final pics. I'm not a photographer, so I set the camera to Auto and let 'er rip.
    These are taken in indirect daylight.

As I'm sure Scott will see, there are some subtle color variations that are much better viewed by eye.

Big thanks to Scott for trusting me with his GMH kit! It was great to meet you down at C VI last year,
    and I hope you'll enjoy the helmet for a long while. Dune Sea Garrison. . . represent!

Thanks to everyone who has followed along with the progress! I'm sure I'll have another thread going
    sometime in the near future.

Eric
    Jul 4, 2013, 2:59 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #99

Looks great. Always a pleasure to see your work. Inspires the rest of us to do better work.
    Jul 4, 2013, 5:03 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #100

It's always a highlight for me to follow a Superjedi thread! I look forward to the next one!