Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula

Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula

Eric,

I can't even describe how amazed I am by your work and can't wait to troop this work of art....that is if I don't put it in a glass display case

From
    Newport News, VA

Hey Scott, glad you're enjoying the progress.
    Little more work done today, but nothing really to show picture-wise.

I did some adjusting of the dome/cheek misting. When I sprayed the
    Dull Coat on yesterday, it appeared to have absorbed most of the lighter color.
    No big deal, just reapplied some of the lighter green today. I started losing
    the light in my hobby room as I was getting finished, so tomorrow I'll evaluate
    how it looks, and possibly reapply some of the original darker base green in
    certain spots. The dome/cheek color is really muddied up, and it might take
    2 or 3 passes with varied shades till I get it where I want it.
    It's a process!

superjedi said: View Post
    Hey Scott, glad you're enjoying the progress.
    He's not the only one!

From
    Phoenix, AZ

Gorgeous paint up!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks fellas. Biggish update today.

UPDATE: June 6, 2013

Killstripes!

I've taken a little extra time with the killstripe stage to show the complete method I use
    to apply them. So this post is a little pic heavy.

First off, measurements. I've come to a "standard" group of measurements for putting the
    ESB killstripes onto a GMH helmet. These are absolutely not cast in stone, I just think they
    give the best looking result. I space the bottom of the killstripes 6.5 mm above the red band.
    Each stripe is 27 mm tall by 8 mm wide, and there's a 6 mm space between each stripe.
    To position them on the dome, it's just a matter of carefully checking the reference pics.

I cut a strip of blue painter's tape 6.5 mm wide and apply it to the dome.

After checking and rechecking the positions of the stripes, I begin to lay out some tape
    to mark the spaces between the stripes. I use Tamiya masking tape for this, and it just
    so happens that it's exactly 6 mm wide!

Then, I make a pencil mark on each piece of Tamiya tape, and lay a strip of blue painter's tape
    across the top so that each stripe comes out to 27 mm tall.

Then using the reference pics, I apply some masking fluid to mark out the chips within the
    stripes. I use Winsor & Newton and a Microbrush.

After that, I mask the entire helmet off with plastic wrap and tape. I don't take any chances
    at this stage. I've done too much work on the helmet to risk any yellow spatter!

The last thing I do before airbrushing is to burnish all the edges of the tape. This really helps
    to get those corners down nice and tight. I've forgotten to do this step before and usually wind
    up with yellow paint that has bled thru a little bit, leading to some tedious touchups afterwards.
    I use a small burnishing tool that I picked up from Michael's. Not sure what its intended purpose
    is, but it works great for Fett helmets!

Now it's on to airbrush time. I use Polly Scale UP Armor Yellow to do the stripes. I always do
    a couple of light coats rather than try to get solid coverage with a single coat. This also helps
    prevent bleed through. Today, I did 3 light coats for these stripes.

After putting the basic yellow down, I go back with an orangey-red color (I've used different
    ones in the past, depending on what I have on hand) and tone the back half of the killstripe run.
    Once that's done, the helmet looks like this.

When everything's nice and dry, I unmask the helmet in reverse order. I begin by removing
    the plastic wrap.

Then I use a rubber cement pickup to rub the masking fluid off, and finally, carefully peel
    up the tape between and around the stripes. Here's the final result!

Now I'll be able to do the gray and silver damage that is mingled in between the stripes, and
    make sure the position is really accurate. Here are another couple of views of the killstripes.

Still a tiny bit of yellow to add in the "voids" in a couple of the stripes, and I'll do that
    with my 000 brush.

So it's getting there now. Next up will be the damage areas within the stripes, the odd
    faded color beneath the stripes, and finally. . . some red for those crazy mandibles!
    Thanks for following along so far.

From
    Orlando, FL

Love it, the detail on how you lay out the kill stripes is great!
    Last edited by Predatormv; Jun 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM.

This is just absolutely terrible.

I'll tell you what I can do, but only because I feel bad for Terrantula. I've got an untouched ASOK CC GMH sitting here. You go ahead and finish that one up and send it to me and I'll send you this brand new one so you can try again, hopefully doing a better job this time. I'll dispose of that one for you to make sure it doesn't get seen in public causing you any further embarrassment.

From
    Galati, Romania

Excellent tutorial, Eric! I encourage you to do a separate thread with your accurate step-by-step killstripe tutorial as a reference for others and maybe one of the admins will make it a 'sticky'. Keep up the excellent work!

OK, superjedi, I answered your question, now you gotta answer mine

You use POG (Panzer Olive Green?) for the dome and cheeks. Who makes the color you use? Is it a Pollyscale color as well?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Polyscale color

MisterFubar said: View Post
    This is just absolutely terrible.

I'll tell you what I can do, but only because I feel bad for Terrantula. I've got an untouched ASOK CC GMH sitting here. You go ahead and finish that one up and send it to me and I'll send you this brand new one so you can try again, hopefully doing a better job this time. I'll dispose of that one for you to make sure it doesn't get seen in public causing you any further embarrassment.

lol, I appreciate the support MisterFubar

Eric,

This is looking incredible. Smile goes ear to ear right now!!!

Thanks for everything!!
    Scott

From
    Newport News, VA

After sitting in traffic on my way home from work for an hour and 15 minutes, I can
    always count on TDH for a grin.

MisterFubar, you'll have to discuss any changes to this deal with Terrantula! But I'm pretty
    much positive that he won't go for it.

Raf, thanks! Don't know if the killstripe post is "sticky worthy" or not. Just trying to help out
    the members where I can.

Necronaut, by the time I'm done with the misting coats and weathering, the base green for the
    dome/cheeks is really nothing like how it looks coming out of the bottle. I use both darker and
    lighter mixtures during the process, so the base green is very "muddied" at the end of the process.
    But yes, I use PollyScale acrylics almost exclusively, with a couple of Tamiya acrylics for some
    of the details.

Personally I like the look of the "muddied" green because, to my eye, it makes it look like old oxidized paint. Not so fresh and pristine...

I agree. I'll be getting that same look for my recently painted and clear-coated armor parts while I wait for my Pollyscale paints to arrive in the mail. I've got a brand-new GMH waiting for its paint job, and I will be following your past ESB WIP's very closely for guidance, superjedi!

One final question. I hear that an ESB helmet's been used on a Star Wars exhibition tour... which one? I'd like to start compiling some reference material before I paint.

From
    Newport News, VA

Necronaut, TDH's galleries are full of excellent reference pics of all Boba's various costumes,
    from Pre-Pro through ROTJ.

Here's just one gallery with a ton of ESB helmet shots:

Art of Star Wars 2002-07-10 - The Dented Helmet Gallery

Check out more of the galleries for a wealth of info.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: June 8, 2013

Today's session ends all the "basic" painting on the dome.
    I finished the network of silver and gray damage in between the killstripes.
    I also did the fade below the stripes. It's always been my theory that this
    is masking tape residue. I don't have any facts to back this up, it just has that look.
    To do the fade, I use very watered down PollyScale Concrete with a size 0 brush.
    I apply it in several passes, letting the color develop slowly with each application.
    It's basically a pale beige wash that's strategically applied, rather than covering
    an entire surface. It has a very subtle appearance, but it is on the screen used
    helmet, so it goes on my replicas.

That's probably gonna be it for today, as my wife and I have some plans this afternoon with
    her family. But tomorrow. . . base red for the mandibles! After the red goes on, it will really
    transform the appearance of the entire helmet.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Beautiful Eric, just a splendid job as always brother! :-)

From
    France

Beautiful work!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys.

UPDATE: June 9, 2013

The sea of green has been parted! Let there be red.

Got the base coat down on the mandibles earlier. Now it's really starting to take
    on the Fett look.

This stage involves the most complex masking of the entire project. It actually takes
    longer to mask everything off than it does to airbrush the mandibles! But that's how
    it goes.

Tomorrow I'll begin adding the gray/silver/maroonish damage areas to the red sections.
    I'll begin with the keyslot section, then work my way around until everything behind the
    ear platforms is done. The front of the mandibles will be last.

At this point, the only thing I'll be using my airbrush for is to do the ears. I generally
    don't work on the ears till after the main part of the helmet is done.

Entering the home stretch now, Scott!

From
    Malmö, Sweden

Great work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Ah yes, the step where boba gets his lovely application of lipstick... That sassy little bounty hunter.. Awesome bud!

From
    Frederick, United States

Truely beautiful art. It is a pleasure to see it being created and thank you for your lesson on killstripes!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys!

Jayvee said: View Post
    Ah yes, the step where boba gets his lovely application of lipstick... That sassy little bounty hunter.. Awesome bud!
    You like that Jonny, wait till I put the mascara on!

UPDATE: June 10, 2013

The detailing continues. I've started the damage on the red areas with the keyslot section.
    Still using my SP Lark Dk Gray and silver, but also add some PRR Maroon to set off the gray.

This process will continue around the "hat band" and onto the mandibles. Every day gets
    a little bit closer now.

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula

Very nice work!!!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks 22!

UPDATE: June 11, 2013

Moving onto the hatband now. I've got the central portion done. There's a lot
    of fairly intricate stuff going on in this relatively small section of the helmet.

From here, I'll keep working outward toward both ear platforms. If everything goes OK, I should
    have all the detailing behind the ears done by Friday. Then, it's on to the front!