Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 24, 2013, 11:11 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #26

great work bro
    May 25, 2013, 5:32 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #27

Thanks guys! Gettin' ramped up now.

UPDATE: May 25, 2013

Pretty good sized update for today. This contains a lot of work that was done over the last
    couple of days. Once the Concrete was dry on the back panels, I began to stencil the
    separation between the base color and the dark green. I use Winsor & Newton masking
    fluid for this step. This is the only layered area on the helmet. Here are a couple of shots.

In these pics, the slightly darker shiny areas are the dried masking fluid. Winsor & Newton
    is untinted, but I've never had a problem telling where it is, even with a coat of paint over it.

Once the W & N was dry, I masked off the remainder of the helmet. Once again, this is simply
    for neatness. I try to contain my painted areas as much as possible. Good ol' blue painters tape
    and some Glad cling wrap makes short work of masking larger areas.

I have never found an out-of-the-bottle color that I like for the back panels on the ESB.
    This is one of the few custom colors that I mix. I start with a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors
    Model Master Acryl Euro I Dark Green, and to that I add approximately 65-75 drops of
    Polly Scale BAR Blue. Yes, I count the drops. I find that this gives the Euro green
    just enough of a kick over into the blue-green range to look really nice.

When I airbrush this custom green, I don't try to get 100% coverage. I begin with a medium
    coat that's kind of cloudy. I leave it just a bit translucent. Then using some reference pics
    of the helmet, I begin to darken certain areas. This is like "built in" weathering.

After letting it dry for several hours, I unmask. I use a rubber cement eraser to remove the
    masking fluid. It does an amazing job. . . it's like magic!

I began the detail painting with the left panel. To start with, I go back with some Concrete and a fine
    brush and touch up the edges of certain areas. I just study the reference pics and tweak the edges until
    I think they look good.
    I also take my custom blue-green and a small brush and add in those subtle, darker patches that are
    scattered over the back panels. Since the base coat is airbrushed, applying the same color with a brush
    gives a denser application, so it appears slightly darker.

I stencil the gray areas the same way that I stencil for the dark green. Then I add the gray, using
    Polly Scale SP Lark Dark Gray with a 000 brush.

To finish off the panel, I use some Floquil Bright Silver with that same size brush. The physical
    scratches have been added in the picture below. I use a compass point and scratch right thru
    the paint to the gelcoat.

Whew!! I think that's enough for today.
    Tomorrow I'll work on the right panel. There's a lot more happening on that panel, with that
    enormous silver area, and I usually have to do it in several sittings. Otherwise my eyes catch on fire.
    May 25, 2013, 7:04 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #28

So pretty. It really is great watching your paint ups Eric, as because I tend to layer, watching the topical or "layer-optical" (to steal your own word), is a good change and shows just how to get fantastic results with different methods. Splendid work as always my good man! :-)
    May 26, 2013, 8:03 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #29

Thanks Jonny. I need to keep my layered skills sharp to do a ROTJ helmet (at some point.)

UPDATE: May 26, 2013

First stage of the right panel is complete. This is just the blocking in of the silver.
    I actually did the small gray areas first, just to have some reference landmarks for when
    I go back to do the detailing. The shape of the whole area will become more defined as
    I begin to add the rest of the gray, as well as some additional dark green.

My arm fell asleep from doing this part!
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    May 26, 2013, 9:53 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #30

Great helmet!
    May 26, 2013, 10:23 AM - Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #31

Looking amazing.....
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    May 27, 2013, 1:33 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #32

Thanks! Welcome to TDH, Moscou.

UPDATE: May 27, 2013

Back panels done *whew*
    Here are a couple of shots of the right panel. I've added the contrasting color on
    the silver damage. In the pics below, you can see that it's very subtle depending
    on the viewing angle.

Nearly invisible above. . .

. . . but rotate the helmet slightly, and it becomes visible.

There are several other small areas where this pale color will be applied. The dent will have
    some of this color added, as well as the curve of the right mandible, and a couple other
    spots here and there.

Next stage will be to mask off the back panels and lay down the base color for the dome
    and lower cheeks! It will slowly start to look more like Boba over the next few days.

Hey Scott, hope you had a good time at PCC!
    May 27, 2013, 3:13 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #33

What color is this pale color you are using to make that contrast in the silver?
    May 27, 2013, 4:41 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #34

Looks amazing Eric!!! And yes, I did enjoy PCC quite a bit. Went in my Tusken and had my first troop with my daughter which was a blast!!!

Thanks again Eric for the amazing paintup, and Asok for the super fast turn around on the GMH!!!!

Terrantula
    May 27, 2013, 5:31 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #35

Scott, the "BatMando" turned out great! I remember going to the Phoenix Con with Farva and some 501st guys
    in 2008, right before I left to go to Korea. I guess it's grown into a pretty big show since then.
    Glad you had fun with your daughter!

Quote Predatormv said: View Post
    What color is this pale color you are using to make that contrast in the silver?
    Pred, the color I use is one of those acrylic craft paints (Delta, or Ceramcoat. . . don't have it in front
    of me right now) called Blue Wisp. It's a very very very pale blue gray.
    May 27, 2013, 6:34 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #36

Ah ok cool. Thanks.
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 27, 2013, 6:45 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #37

Now that I see this I see why you like addition damage...and the control. Looking good bud!
    May 28, 2013, 6:06 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #38

Thanks, F4R.

UPDATE: May 28, 2013

Got the base green down on the dome and cheeks yesterday afternoon and let it dry
    overnight. So now I can begin the dome damage. This will be several updates with
    lots of silver and gray.

I don't know why, but I always begin my dome detailing at the back.

The silver and gray areas are pretty simple back here, but I get to add a lot of
    physical scratches, which is fun!

I'll continue working around counterclockwise until the dome is done. Once I get all the damage
    placed I'll have landmarks to begin the darkening/lightening of the base green. The colors won't
    look so stark once I complete that part.
    May 29, 2013, 1:33 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #39

Stunning work my friend, just stunning!!!!

Terrantula
    May 29, 2013, 5:34 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #40

Very nice SJ
    May 29, 2013, 6:02 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #41

Thanks, guys. Scott, I just saw a little while ago that the metal Bordens
    are starting to show up. Hopefully yours will get here soon!

UPDATE: May 29, 2013

Round and round we go. Got a bit more done on the dome today.

Next I'll move in front of the right ear and get that little "humped" area, then the cat scratch!
    That's one of my favorite features on the ESB.
  17. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 29, 2013, 6:29 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #42

How do you not show brush strokes in the silver...any time I do a large area it shows strokes and such...
    May 29, 2013, 8:24 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #43

Well, I think a lot of credit goes to the paint. Floquil is excellent for leveling and not
    showing brush strokes.
    I make sure that my brush is well saturated with paint. Not so much that the paint
    will "blob" when I touch it to the helmet, just so that I can get a nice smooth stroke.
    I begin by painting a portion of the outline of an area, then when it seems that the
    brush is almost dry, I go back and feather the outline into the area a bit.
    Working quickly helps. I have found that if I overlap the areas slightly, and blend
    them together while the paint is still wet, it really helps to eliminate brush strokes.
  19. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 29, 2013, 8:45 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #44

HRM....silvers mainly dont work for me with brushing larger areas....but yeh the floquils work pretty well
    May 29, 2013, 9:57 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #45

That's one of the things that impresses me about Superjedi's work. He can make a topical paintjob not actually look topical. If I tried something like that, at best it might result in something that looked worthy of being sold in a Walgreen's toy section...
    May 30, 2013, 5:02 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #46

Wolfsburg, thanks! It's not something that happened overnight. I've been doing this for
    quite a while now, and it's a lot of trial and error-finding out what works well and what doesn't.

UPDATE: May 30, 2013

Not as big an update as I had planned. My throat is feeling a little gross today. Hope I'm not
    coming down with something.

I got the cat scratch and surrounding areas stenciled on, and got the silver painted before I
    decided that I'll pause here for the day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better and get the gray
    areas done. It looks a little weird right now, but these are the "in between" stages that are
    associated with a topical paint job.

If everything goes according to plan (insert evil laugh here) I should get to the dent
    sometime on Saturday.
    May 31, 2013, 5:27 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #47

UPDATE: May 31, 2013

Feeling OK, so back to work Superjedi, you slacker!

Got the remainder of the cat scratch done, as well as the surrounding areas.

Also did the smaller area above the turn signals.

I did the very fine scratches all through this area, too.

Next up. . . the dent!
    Jun 1, 2013, 12:15 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #48

UPDATE: June 1, 2013

Dentage!
    Continuing to move around the dome, I've reached the dent. Arguably the most
    recognizable feature of the helmet, there's a ton of juicy detail to apply.
    As with the other sections done with a topical paint job, it begins with the main
    silver area blocked in.

After working in the gray, along with the big streak coming back from the dent,
    the nearly finished damage looks like this.

There will be some final detailing added at the end of the project. The area surrounding
    the dent will receive some pastel weathering, a couple spots of slightly lightened green,
    and some of that contrasting pale color within the silver.

Only a couple more damage sections to apply to the dome, then it'll be on to the cheeks!
    Jun 2, 2013, 2:22 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #49

UPDATE: June 2, 2013

I love weekends, I can really get a lot done.
    OK, several steps for this update. After the dent and streak were done, I did the
    smaller area under the streak, and the big area on top of the dome.

That completed all the major damage sections on the dome. There are a few minor details
    left to do, but I need to get the killstripes on first in order to make sure they're positioned right.

It probably isn't obvious in the shots above, but I have also misted on some lightened green
    on the dome and lower cheeks. The patterns are very diffuse, but it helps to break up the
    one-dimensional look of the base green. It's sort of visible in the pics as a kind of blotchy look
    to the finish, but once a clear coat is applied, the reflectivity will be evened out, and the
    color difference should be slightly more apparent. It's a subtle effect overall, and it's more
    readily visible to the eye.

After "blotching" the dome and cheeks, I did the upper cheeks with PRR Brunswick Green. This
    was applied in 2 coats with a 1/2 inch flat brush. If I remember right, the upper cheeks were
    brush painted on the original. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

I did the detail painting on the right cheek first. Still using my Bright Silver, and 2 different
    grays: my custom gray on the lower cheek, and SP Lark Dark Gray on the upper cheek.
    In the shots above and below, I've also chipped out the physical damage using an X-acto blade.

Next up is the left cheek.
    Jun 2, 2013, 5:19 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula #50

UPDATE #2: June 2, 2013

Whew! As the sun begins to sink slowly in the west. . . I'm done for the weekend.
    I got the left inner cheek done. This part of the helmet contains the third and final
    custom mixed color that I use. It's a blend of SP Lark and the dark green mixture
    that I use on the back panels. It's just different enough from the "standard" custom
    gray to be visually different.

It's weird that the gray damage on this part of the helmet is two different shades,
    but it's one of those cool details that's fun to capture.
    Tomorrow I'll do the upper left cheek, then the helmet will receive a quick spritz of
    Testors Dull Coat to seal the paint work thus far. After that. . . killstripes.

Gettin' there, Scott!