Hi my fine feathered Fett friends!
(. . . feathered???. . .)
THE BEGINNING: May 19, 2013:
A couple of days ago I received one of Asok's GMH helmet kits for a commission job.
I'm painting this one as an ESB helmet for member Terrantula. Hi, Scott!
(Anyone ever notice how many Scotts and Chrises there are on TDH??????)
I got to meet him down at C VI in Orlando last summer and he's in the process
of upgrading his Fett costume, which looked great! So I'm glad to be able to
do this bucket for him.
Asok has done a terrific job with the GMH. The cast is clean and very sturdy,
and the accessories (ears, RF, MQ-1) are crisp with sharp detail. If you've
read his thread, you know that the helmet is cold cast as well. The aluminum
RF stalk is a nice addition to a great kit!
Since I'm doing this one as ESB, I'll be filling the existing PP2 damage, then
adding the ESB physical damage. So the cold cast will be primered over as
I prep the helmet for a topical paint job. The parts on the RF ear that remain
bare metal will retain the cold cast finish though.
In these shots, I've trimmed the helmet already, and have done the first
application of putty to fill in the physical damage. I used a combination of
tools to get the helmet prepped. I used my Dremel with a cutting wheel, a
rotary sanding drum, and a "bullet" shaped grinding stone. For the keyslots,
I drill them with a small drill bit, then connect the holes, and finish them
with a couple of jewelers' files and emery boards. I might have used some
conventional explosives here and there too. . . can't recall.
Once the putty is dry, I'll sand it down and look for places that need a second
application. Then, it's on to primer!
Scott has also ordered a brass Borden from Mojo. I'm waiting to Dremel out the
resin Borden until I have the metal one in hand. That way, I can be sure I'm making
the hole in the cheek precisely the right size.
Much more to come!