UPDATE: August 18, 2013
Got a couple of stages to show in this update. First of all. . . killstripes!
The left side of the dome had been looking pretty blank until now. I've described
my masking method for the stripes in another thread, so I won't go into it again here.
The stripes were done with UP Armor Yellow, and then the rearmost stripes were given a
misting of a Polly Scale orange. I have 2 orange colors that are really close in appearance,
and since there's such a small amount used, I tend to just grab whichever bottle is closest.
Now that the stripes are on, I can go back and finish the gray/silver damage on that portion
of the helmet. It's a relatively small area, but there's a lot of detail mingled in with the stripes!
I also did a little construction work. Steve had sent me a genuine MQ-1 calculator to incorporate
into this helmet. I removed the circuit board and began prepping it for installation. After discussing
it with Steve, I chopped the lower half of the board. In the MoM and AoSW pics, the bottom half
of the circuit board is just a blank, flat surface. Once I chopped the board, I was left with this section.
I couldn't just suspend this part inside the helmet by magic, so I built a mounting platform for it.
The reverse side of the circuit board has a rectangular protrusion. This is actually the screen for
the calculator. I didn't want to remove the screen, so I cut a rectangular hole in a piece of Sintra
so the screen would protrude through, allowing the remainder of the board to sit flush.
Here's the circuit board in place on the Sintra. Nothing is glued in place yet at this point.
I measured the keyslot area on the helmet and cut the Sintra so that it would extend a little
beyond the limits of the keyslot openings.
I wanted to bring the lower section flush with the actual circuit board, so I cut a rectangle
out of some styrene sheet. This gave it just enough additional thickness.
Here's the whole assembly held up to the back of the helmet.
Later in the project, I'll determine the exact positioning for this platform, then add some
small stand-offs in the corners. This will allow me to attach the assembly into the helmet
and it will be reinforced with some epoxy putty.
I'm hoping to get the remainder of the gray and silver around the killstripes done today, and
then tomorrow should be Mandible Monday!