Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Steveo4529

From
    Newport News, VA

Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Steveo4529

Necronaut said: View Post
    Did you make your own stencils, or do you use Rafal's stencils?
    Necro, I use Rafal's stencils as an excellent base. I always have at least one reference pic up on my
    screen as I'm painting, and use those to make sure I'm getting the shapes and the very finest details
    correct as I'm going along.

UPDATE: July 31, 2013

Got the back panels prepped for dark green. The Concrete dried overnight, and this afternoon I stenciled
    on the color breaks. Since I've done a GMH or two before I already have a complete set of stencils that
    fit this helmet. That's a big time saver! Here are two shots with the stencils applied.

Once the stencils were on, I used my trusty Winsor & Newton masking fluid to fill in the areas that
    will remain Concrete. The masked areas appear slightly darker and shiny in the pics below.

I had to do some running around this afternoon, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to airbrush
    the dark green mix. I never like feeling like I'm trying to beat the clock. More to come!

From
    Ireland

Stay tuned TDH'ers this artist never fails.

From
    Newport News, VA

Hope I don't disappoint, Beans!

UPDATE: August 2, 2013

Some delicious back panel progress! Got the dark green airbrushed on. Although it's always
    harder to see in pics, there's a degree of cloudy variation in the overall color. I try to do a
    kind of mid-dark translucent coat, and then go back and darken certain areas based on the
    reference pics. The color variation will become more apparent after dull coating the helmet.

In these pics I have gone back with some Concrete and a fine brush to clean up some of the
    edges I wasn't satisfied with. Just to nail the shapes of the details.

The next stage will be adding the gray and silver. I'll also go back with some of the dark
    green mix and add those splotches that appear in the ref pics.

I'm hoping to have the back panels totally complete by the end of the weekend. That's a tall
    order! Especially with that giant silver area on the right panel. . . but we'll see.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

I usually just lurk on your helmet paint-ups, but I have to say:

For one, you're a MACHINE. Your turnaround time and updates are just INCREDIBLE.

Two, your topical approach (versus layered) is a beauty to behold.

And three, quit screwing around and do an RotJ!

Waiting for the magic you seem to be able to perform with a size 000 brush!

From
    Newport News, VA

Rubio, thanks man. Painting is like my Zen meditation. I just get into it and don't even
    realize how much time is going by. . . until my stomach starts rumbling. LOL

Necro, those little detail brushes are my bread and butter for these paint ups!

UPDATE: August 3, 2013

More work complete on the left rear panel. This is SP Lark Dk Gray.

It looks a little funny, but once I get the silver added it will take on a more familiar appearance.

Hope to post another update sometime later.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Awesome E, looking really clean, and I really feel you have nailed your technique down to the point it is absolutely spot on the money every time! As always, looking forward to every new update

From
    Newport News, VA

Hiya Jonny. Thanks man! At this point, I can pretty much outline every stage of the paint job in my head.
    I strive for consistency with each new helmet I do. At some point, I'll break out of my comfort zone and
    tackle a ROTJ lid! You know who I'll be asking lots of questions when I do!

UPDATE #2: August 3, 2013

The left panel is complete. I added the silver, the additional small splotches of dark green, and the
    physical scratches. To get these very fine scratches, I use the sharp point of a compass and scratch
    right through to the gelcoat.

Tomorrow I'll work on the right panel. . . and that giant silver area *sigh*
    When the majority of the paint job is complete, I'll come back to do the pale grayish-blue contrasting
    color that shows in some of the silver areas. There's a good amount of it on the back panels, and there's
    more in other areas of the helmet.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

superjedi said: View Post
    Hiya Jonny. Thanks man! At this point, I can pretty much outline every stage of the paint job in my head.
    I strive for consistency with each new helmet I do. At some point, I'll break out of my comfort zone and
    tackle a ROTJ lid!
    You know who I'll be asking lots of questions when I do!
    Yes. This.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

I look forward to it too Rubio! And while I have absolutely no doubt Eric will nail it, any questions my way will be a pleasure to help out anywhere I can

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Jayvee said: View Post
    I look forward to it too Rubio! And while I have absolutely no doubt Eric will nail it, any questions my way will be a pleasure to help out anywhere I can
    I'll remember you said that. You're going to be bombarded at some point

From
    Galati, Romania

Oh no! Not another crazy Superjedi ESB helmet! So, how long you will be bore us with these machined paint jobs (I really think that you have a painting robot factory or some crazy SJ minions)? Huh?! We already know that you are super good at ESB paint jobs... No need to prove anything!

I beg... I demand... No, I command (and I hope everyone else will support me) that the next paint job to be a ROTJ one! Who's with me?!

superjedi-minions-jpg

(You know that I love your paint jobs!)

From
    Newport News, VA

Minions!
    Thanks Raf. I'm hoping to begin a ROTJ helmet for my own collection by the year's end! (I think. . . maybe. )

UPDATE: August 4, 2013

Back panels are now complete, except for the pale contrasting color.
    That big silver area is a killer! Especially with all the tiny gray chips in there. When I do this area, I stencil
    on the main silver area, but I also stencil on some of the larger gray chips to give me some landmarks.
    I paint these landmark gray chips before doing the silver. Then I go back and paint on the silver, being
    careful to leave the majority of the landmarks exposed.
    Then it's lots of looking back and forth between the helmet and reference pics, adding smaller and smaller
    gray details until this section is complete.

Here's another angle showing the other 2 major damage areas on the right panel. I have also
    added the physical scratches to this side. Same technique: use a sharp metal compass point to
    scratch through to the gelcoat.

Now that the rear panels are done, the next stage will be to apply the base color to the dome and
    inner cheeks! I enjoy completing that stage because it really begins to look like Fett from that point on.
    Thanks for following along so far.

From
    Murrieta CA

Eric you are a machine my friend!!!! Looking awesome as always bro. Like everyone else I would love to see you do up a ROTJ lid.

WHOOOAA!! talk about being artistic... beautiful work...

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys!

UPDATE: August 6, 2013

Now we're gettin' somewhere. Got the dome and cheek color airbrushed on, along with the
    first weathering pass.

This first weathering pass consists of airbrushing a slightly lightened mix of the base color in diffuse,
    cloudy patterns. This color will be further muddied during later weathering.
    What you see in the picture is more contrasty than it appears in person. There's some reflection from
    my hobby room window bouncing off the helmet, so it seems to exaggerate the difference between
    the base color and the weathering color. I wish I had a decent spot to take some good photos.

Next I'll begin adding the gray and silver damage areas on the dome, followed by the inner cheeks.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: August 9, 2013

Been a few days, but I've been working on the helmet where I can. I've gotten some damage
    areas completed on the back of the dome, just hadn't had time to take pics and update the thread.

Here are a couple of angles.

I'm using Bright Silver and a custom gray mixed from my Polly Scale color from the back panels.
    I've also added the fine physical scratches using my compass point. These may look a little
    bright and stark, but after further weathering, they'll be toned down.

Since the weekend is coming up, I'll be able to spend more time with the helmet. Next up I'll continue
    moving around the dome to do the small area just in front of the right ear and the cat scratch.
    One of my favorite features!

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Very nice SJ!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks 22!

UPDATE: August 11,2013

Alright, I'm calling it a weekend. Got a bunch done on the dome. I've worked my
    way around from the back of the helmet beginning with the area just in front of the
    RF ear arch. Then I did the cat scratch and the "network" of other damage around
    and above it. This is one of my favorite areas on the helmet.

I moved on around to the area above the turn signals next. This is a pretty small area to do,
    and there are some even smaller gray and silver chips around the triangles themselves. I haven't
    done the physical scratches surrounding this area yet.

Above and below, you can see that I did the dent and the streak that angles back from it.

There are still some small details that will be added to the dent, including a bit of the contrasting
    pale color, and some pastel weathering. That will be added close to the end of the entire paint job.

The next area I'll do is the big scrape across the top of the dome. Then I'll paint the outer cheeks, and
    work on the cheek damage. Once I complete all the gray/silver it will be killstripe time!

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: August 13, 2013

Still moving along. Got the big scrape on top of the dome done. Here are two angles of that.

Just a few more details to do on the dome. But what remains is very closely associated with
    the killstripes, so I'll complete the gray/silver once the killstripes are on.

I've also gotten the outer cheeks painted. As usual, I do this with a flat soft 1/2 inch brush.
    Two coats of PRR Brunswick Green covered very nicely. The white spots you see on the mandibles
    are where I carved in the physical damage with a very sharp X-acto blade.

Tomorrow I'll begin stenciling and painting the damage on the cheek sections.

It's gettin' there, Steve!

From
    Raleigh-Durham, NC

Looking awesome!

From
    Newport News, VA

Well in this case, yours is the most important opinion, Steve. Glad you're liking it so far.

UPDATE: August 14, 2013

Boba is beginning to look a bit. . . cheeky! Get it??? Cheeky. . Bwaa-ha-haa!!
    OK, just losing my mind a bit.

Got the right cheek details added. The damage around the outer edges of the darker
    section will be done once the mandibles have their base coat applied.

Tomorrow, the left cheek.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: August 16, 2013

This update is even cheekier than the last!
    I like doing the left cheek. For some reason, it strikes me as visually very interesting.
    I don't know what it is exactly, but the damage patterns look really cool in this section.

The inner cheek features an additional custom color. The portion that extends down the outside
    is a slightly different tone than the other gray damage. I took some of the gray that I use for the
    majority of the damage and added a bit of my dark back panel green until it took on a slightly
    greener-gray appearance. This is the only place (that I can tell) that this subtly different color appears.

Now that the helmet is at this stage, I'll mask the rear panels and outer cheeks and go back for
    the second weathering pass on the dome and inner cheeks. They'll get another application of the
    slightly lightened base color, and a bit of spattering. Then it will be killstripe time.

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

Looking amazing!

I agree that the left cheek is very interesting. The custom grey/green downward arch is one of my favourite features. So much more intricate than it appears at first glance.

From
    Los Angeles, CA

Eric you are a freakin maestro at this point. Beautiful work!