Merry Christmas, TDH! Got a new project going a few days ago. This is an
ESB commission for Seven. He had originally contacted me over on the RPF, so
I began a progress thread over there. I looked thru the member list here, and he's
listed, so I'll post a thread here, too.
I received the helmet kit several days ago along with some very nice accessories.
This is a GMH resin Fett helmet, and Seven sent along a set of machined aluminum
ear parts, including the RF stalk, a real Borden dental tool connector, and a real MQ-1
circuit board for the keyslot insert.
I began prepping the helmet by cutting out the visor area, trimming along the bottom
of the helmet, opening up the keyslots, and drilling out the ear attachment holes.
I used some Bondo to fill the molded-in PrePro 2 damage and hit the helmet with a
couple of coats of primer. I didn't take any pics during the prep, but here's the helmet
I have also put the first color coat on the back panels.
I cut down the Borden connector, and Dremeled out the detail that's molded in on
the helmet's right cheek. After all the paint work is complete, I'll epoxy the metal
Borden in place.
[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]
UPDATE: December 25, 2013
Got the base green laid down over the Concrete on the rear panels. The panels
were stenciled, then masked with some Winsor & Newton masking fluid. This is
great stuff! I've had the same bottle for over 5 years at least, and it's still going
strong. Once the panels had the W&N applied, I airbrushed the green on in a light
to medium coat. I try to keep it just a little translucent at first, then go back and
darken certain areas to try and match the reference pics as much as possible.
After airbrushing, I go back with the same color and add the small darker splotches with
the same base green using a fine brush. My favorite size detail brush is a size 000 Model
Master brush. If you take care of these brushes, they'll last for a long time!
Adding the base color with a brush makes the color appear more dense, and it stands out
just enough over the airbrushed base to give it some contrast.
Now that this stage is complete I'll move on to the gray damage sections. These will be
stenciled and transferred onto the helmet, too. Hope everyone has a great Christmas! More to come.