Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31

From
    Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19462

Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31

Movie quote time:

"........ it's difficult for me... to... express myself... when I am on the verge of... exploding ......"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    From
    Advertising world

From
    Perth, Western Australia

So, so nice... Amazing as always you little paint guru...

From
    Modesto, California

So jealous

From
    Newport News, VA

Lucksy31 said: View Post
    Movie quote time:

"........ it's difficult for me... to... express myself... when I am on the verge of... exploding ......"

Thanks, guys. Weekend coming up. . .hope to have lots more to show over the next couple of days!

From
    Hoboken, New Jersey, United States

I'm drooling waiting for your next update! Seriously, I hope you pat yourself on the back 'cause this is awesome!

From
    Galati, Romania

I'm in that point in which superjedi will surprise me only if he will do an average paint job... I will never see that day!

I already said it, but I love your professional way of painting and each new post of you is funny, refreshing and informative. Thanks for doing this for us!

From
    Newport News, VA

I enjoy doing progress threads. To me it's part of the process, where I can sit
    back and get an overview of the helmet as it comes along. I've seen things in
    my own pictures that made me go back and make some tweaks here and there.

UPDATE: January 19, 2013

Mandible-ness! The mandibles are a key part of the helmet. These are
    the areas that frame Fett's "face" and just like when you look at a person, it's
    one of the first areas that draw the eye when looking at someone in costume.

I take a lot of care with the sizes/shapes/proportions of the damage
    on the mandibles. The left side has very specific patterns (just like the rest
    of the helmet), but not nearly as complex as the right mandible.

There are still a couple of final details that aren't on there yet. Such as the
    little tan "drips" and the small brighter red chips. But those will come once I
    go back and do my final sweep before the clear coat.
    Also keep in mind that this is the screen-used version of the helmet. There's
    some extra damage that is seen on the exhibit photos that wasn't present
    during filming, so I'm not adding it to Scott's helmet.

Getting pretty close now!

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: January 20, 2013

Whew. . . right mandible is done!

I did this area in several sittings to save my eyeballs from melting.
    This was done with the same color palette used on the rest of the red areas: SP Lark Dk Gray,
    Bright Silver, and PRR Maroon.

A couple of other details on the above photo. I added the contrasting pale gray color on some of the silver, and
    I did the upper ear base with Polly Scale Earth. Finally, I did that dark greasy stain over the RF ear with Tarnished Black.

This means that all the "basic" painting is complete! I'm still waiting for the aluminum ears, and I won't do
    the tan spatter until the ears are in place. Next up is some pastel application on the lower cheeks and the
    area around the dent, and just a touch on the right rear panel.
    Once the pastels are done I'll give the entire helmet a coat of Krylon clear matte finish to seal everything.
    The final steps will be the tan spatter (once the ears are done), the thumbprints, and the brownish
    grease stains on the rear half of the helmet. So close now!

From
    UK

Lovely job Sir, perfect edges to the detail which makes all the difference to the overall feel...

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, Garrett. I find this to be one of the greatest advantages of a topical paint job.
    Whenever I use masking fluid on the rear panels, I always find that I need to do minor
    touch-ups after removing the mask. Maybe I just don't have the right tools, but I can
    never seem to get all the intricate shapes exactly right when using a layered technique.

I mentioned in another thread that when I delivered Shabad's PP2, I got to see one of
    your ESB helmets up close. You certainly seem to have conquered the layered method!
    That thing is just amazing.

(Minor update: The pastels and clear coat have been applied to the helmet. )

From
    Buenos Aires - Argentina

superjedi just AMAZING, I love all the details in your works, you become in master piece, thanks for show us this helmet.

Leo

I just can't over the detail here! Looks great!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, guys! It's getting there. . .

UPDATE: January 24, 2013

OK, had some good light this afternoon and I set up the helmet in a better
    location than sitting in front of our DVD collection.
    The helmet itself is complete now, except for the tan spatter. Here are a
    few pics showing an overall look.

The front left view above shows the pastel weathering around the dent, as well as
    on the lower left cheek. The white thumbprints are also visible from this angle.

The opposing front angle. It's hard to capture with my camera, but I attempted
    to show some of the subtle color variation in the dome/cheek green. I used a
    multi-step process of darker and then lighter mixtures of the base color.

The left rear angle shows the thumbprints again, as well as some of those
    brownish grease stains. It also shows how the silver can still appear fairly
    bright even though the helmet has been misted with Testors dull coat.

The right rear angle shows more of those greasy stains and the overall detail
    of this section.

Finally, a close-up of the rear of the dome and part of the rear panels. The
    grease stains are visible here as well. The very fine scratches look even finer once
    the airbrush toning is complete.

So there she sits! I'm still waiting on the arrival of the aluminum ears, but once they
    get here, I'll post some more progress as I paint them. Hope you like it, Scott!

From
    UK

Looking great Eric. Am I right in saying the powder streaks from the dent going towards the back of the helmet appear darker on the helmet during its screen use? As though they have been partially rubbed off by handling over the years as now seen in the exhibit pictures...

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

superjedi said: View Post
    Thanks, Garrett. I find this to be one of the greatest advantages of a topical paint job.
    Whenever I use masking fluid on the rear panels, I always find that I need to do minor
    touch-ups after removing the mask. Maybe I just don't have the right tools, but I can
    never seem to get all the intricate shapes exactly right when using a layered technique.

I mentioned in another thread that when I delivered Shabad's PP2, I got to see one of
    your ESB helmets up close. You certainly seem to have conquered the layered method!
    That thing is just amazing.

(Minor update: The pastels and clear coat have been applied to the helmet. )
    And the ESB helmet was topically painted right? I mean ROTJ yeh layered but ESB wasnt

From
    UK

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    And the ESB helmet was topically painted right? I mean ROTJ yeh layered but ESB wasnt
    Maybe the final weathering was topical but the main colour on the ESB had to be layered, right?

From
    Newport News, VA

That's an excellent question, Garrett. There's so much that has happened to that
    poor hero ESB helmet over the years.
    What I try to do when I weather my helmets and armor, is to approximate the level
    of contrast that I see against the base color. I know that's subject to
    interpretation. It's the "eye of the beholder" factor. One person may say, "Well I can
    barely make out that streak/splotch/mark/etc." While someone else will say, "Oh yeah
    I can see it plain as day."

For the dent streaks in particular, I view them as having a good amount of visual
    contrast from the background green. This is one of the clearest HD screen shots I have
    in my picture collection. Here, I've thrown a similar view of Scott's helmet in there as well.

If you try to ignore the obvious differences in color due to the screen shot being lit for
    filming, as well as color-timed, then further processed for transfer to digital media, I tried
    to hit the right level of contrast. Some may say I did, and some may say otherwise.

Pastels are also like any other media that's applied to a curved surface. Its appearance will
    change depending on the angle and level of lighting. If you look at the streaks at an
    oblique 90 angle, they'll appear darker than if you view them from a shallower angle.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

terminal fettler said: View Post
    Maybe the final weathering was topical but the main colour on the ESB had to be layered, right?
    Why? Look at the close ups of the PP3 helmet...same painter, same technique...the silver is on top of all the other colors.

From
    UK

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Why? Look at the close ups of the PP3 helmet...same painter, same technique...the silver is on top of all the other colors.
    This pic of the PP3 speaks volumes, hats off to that brush work with the silver! It looks like the grey has been pulled of the silver base coat with masking tape or similar...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-1-png  

From
    UK

Thanks for the detailed explanation Eric, very interesting. This is the shot i had in mind of the ESB helmet during filming illustrating how i imagine the powder burn to have looked at that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-3-png  

From
    UK

Oh and sorry to go off on a tangent in your thread Eric, (but you may like this) but i have a theory that the main mandible and trim dark red isn't the colour it appears to be. It only appears to be that colour because it is layered on top of the purple/maroon colour, as illustrated in this picture of the PP3. Bottom right hand corner, the red is on top of the purple and silver and changes colour accordingly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-5-png  

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Superb Eric - I think you've captured the tone of the powder burns very nicely. The grease stains that you added look fantastic - I wad more under the impression that they were part of the 'extra stuffs' that the AOSW version had, and didn't appear on the hero helmet, but with fairly limited resource pics avail, and the fact it all looks superb anyway, it really isn't a huge issue. Bravo on the lid my friend!

I tend to go with Garrett line of thinking that the silver layer at least seems layered in that PP3 pic

From
    Galati, Romania

Eric, that helmet is a pure beauty! You did a great job!

Here is a comparison image between the ESB Hero and the ESB C-IV helmet:
    esb-helmet-comparison-jpg

I did a bit of color correction of the ESB Hero helmet to match up the ESB C-IV colors. Although the burnt dent look darker in the Hero image, it's kind of hard to tell for sure because the different lighting and the grainy Hero image, but as already said, the miss-handling for over 30 years might be a great explanation of the color fading.

As for the Pre-Pro #3 helmet, looking at some of the close-ups from the Gallery, it looks that most of the colors were layered on the mandible/brow/around ear/rear keyhole area and partially topical on the back rim area, and only the silver on the back plates and the dome/cheeks. But the paint job is so cleverly and professionally made that is hard to see some of the differences. It is possible that this helmet was also painted by Joe Johnston (it looks close in technique to the helmet painted by him for the 'As You Wish' project) and I think that the ESB helmet was not his work.

Off Topic
    -------------------
    That red shade noticed by TF is close to the left ear's red (which was painted later by Joe) and it looks like a touch-up of some areas:

pp3-touch-ups-jpg

Notice that the dark brown shows those touch-ups too, and some of these 'repairs' are present on the dome too, mainly around the killstripes:

pp3-touch-up-jpg

From
    UK

But the brighter red appears else where on the PP3 in and around the silver damage and most noticeably also on the ESB hero on the complicated right hand mandible area?

From
    Galati, Romania

terminal fettler said: View Post
    But the brighter red appears else where on the PP3 in and around the silver damage and most noticeably also on the ESB hero on the complicated right hand mandible area?
    On the ESB helmet those red areas looks like touch-ups of the silver or even the helmet surface (possibly masking fluid peel off accident) and are quite deep:

esb-red-chip-jpg