Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 22, 2012, 4:45 PM - Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #1

Hi TDHers!
    I thought I'd put together one of them there progress threads for a new project
    I'm working on. I've been really busy with school, but my semester is over, and
    I have some hobby time, so I figured it's time to get Fettin'!!!

This thread will be for my paint up of a GMH helmet as the ESB "hero" version.
    Been a while since I've done an ESB, so this will be fun! To make it even more
    fun, it's for our very own Lucksy31. Scott has been a part of the community for
    a while, and he's supplied some awesome vinyl decals that I'll bet several of you
    are sporting on your own Fett costumes. Hi Scott!

The helmet arrived with the visor already cut out, along with the GMH resin ear
    pieces. Scott is getting a set of Mojo's aluminum ears, so hopefully they'll ship
    while I'm still in possession of the helmet so I can paint them up and install them.
    Scott also sent me a few cool accessories to incorporate into this job, namely:
    a real Borden connector, a TerminalFettler RF topper (super nice!), an RF mini
    circuit board with flashing LEDs, a nice smoked visor, an aluminum RF stalk,
    and a real microswitch to place in the cutout in the upper right ear cap.

To begin this job, I finished doing the trimming and sanding. There was some
    smoothing to do around the visor cutout, and then I sanded around the bottom
    of the helmet, and cut out the keyslots, and drilled the holes in the ear platforms.
    Since this is to be an ESB bucket, I used some glazing putty to fill in the GMH's
    physical damage.

I got it as smooth as I could in preparation for the primer. I also drilled out the
    resin Borden piece and cut down the Borden connector.

Here's the Borden rough cut and sanded. I'll do a bit more fine sanding.

Here's the Borden in place. Nice, tight fit!

I put on the first coat of primer a little while ago. It revealed a couple of places where I
    need to apply some more putty. I'll do that tomorrow and shoot a second coat of primer
    and then I should be ready to start adding some color to this bad boy!

I always like to challenge myself when I do a new helmet, so for this job, I will do all my
    painting with the paint brush held between my toes.

Much more to come.
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Dec 22, 2012, 5:41 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #2

Great start , can't wait to see your foot work
    Dec 22, 2012, 5:42 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #3

Sweet. Looking forward to this thread.
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Dec 22, 2012, 7:14 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #4

Looking like fun....just got a box from TripleD today...going ROTJ...will have to make a thread when I have significant progress besides cutting out the visor keyslots.
    Dec 23, 2012, 1:10 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #5

Well, I must admit that I'm a huge 'superjedi paint thread' fan because his threads are always well explained, informative and very funny. So, when I read this:

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    I always like to challenge myself when I do a new helmet, so for this job, I will do all my
    painting with the paint brush held between my toes.
    ...my first thought was this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Foot Paint Technique.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	66222

EDIT
    -----------------
    Replaced the image with a better one (featuring my sexy feet and the Rafal Works v1 helmet).
    Last edited by RafalFett; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Replaced image.
    Dec 23, 2012, 6:53 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #6

Ahh yes, another insane Superjedi thread! Looking forward to it E, you crazy Toe-Master..
    Dec 23, 2012, 8:03 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #7

You must have some serious control with your toes to be able to use a double action airbrush!!
    Looking forward to your progress!
    Dec 23, 2012, 9:37 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #8

To say that i'm psyched is a complete understatement!!
    Dec 23, 2012, 4:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #9

Rafal, that's hilarious. Yes, guys, my toes are quite dextrous.

UPDATE: December 23, 2012

Not much to show right now. It's always slow going at first, but it should ramp up in the
    next couple of days. I finished the puttying and sanding, and marked the position of the
    ESB physical damage. A few minutes with a very sharp #11 X-acto blade and the helmet
    was given another light coat of primer.

The physical damage can be seen in the picture above.
    Once the primer had dried, I masked off the rear panels and sprayed the first color coat:
    Floquil Concrete. Again, the pics are kind of boring, but here's where she sits as of tonight.

Tomorrow I'll begin the measuring/stenciling for the rear panel dark green. I haven't done a set of stencils
    yet for the ESB version sized for a GMH, so I'll be taking my time and making sure everything is proportioned
    correctly. Rafal's templates will be a big help as always!
    Dec 23, 2012, 8:13 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #10

Very cool, excited to see this progress
    Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #11

w000h0000!!! Here we go! Looking forward to it, Eric!
    Dec 25, 2012, 4:17 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #12

Finally have something to show you guys.

UPDATE: December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!
    Enjoying a day off today, and thought I'd get a little painting done. This update
    covers a couple of steps. The Concrete was sprayed on, and once it was dry, I
    stenciled the damage areas on. I use Rafal's templates as a base, and I carefully
    compare them with photos of the screen used helmet before transferring the markings
    onto the back panels. Not many tweaks needed at all!

I applied some Winsor & Newton masking fluid with a microbrush, filling in all the areas
    to remain the base color. I have to say that I've had my bottle of W&N for about 5 years,
    and it's still completely viable, and it's only about half gone! Well worth the price.

Once the masking fluid had dried, I got my rear panel green ready to go. I begin with a
    1/2 oz. bottle of Model Master Acryl Euro I Dark Green, and add about 60 or so drops of
    Polly Scale BAR Blue. That's the mixture I've been using on all of my ESB paint ups for years.
    The BAR Blue darkens the Euro green, and shades it just over into the blue/green range. It
    also gives a nice color shift depending on the lighting conditions.

Here's the left panel.

I thin my acrylics with water. I got it fairly thin, and airbrushed it on in a couple
    of pretty light coats. I wanted it to have some translucency, and not be one solid expanse of green.
    I allowed some of the Concrete to show through very subtly in places.
    I then tightened my spray pattern and went back to darken the green in certain places. I usually have
    my laptop next to where I'm painting, and I keep a couple of reference pics on the screen as I'm
    airbrushing. This shows me exactly where I need to go darker, or feather some of the color as
    I'm painting.

When I had gotten the patterns I wanted, I went back with a wider spray pattern and shaded
    the panels a little darker overall. That got me pretty much exactly where I wanted to be colorwise.

These next shots show the small dark areas scattered around the back panels. I didn't use a different
    color on these. I used the same custom mix that I had airbrushed on. Applying the color with a brush
    made it more dense, and it appears darker to the eye.

Here's the right side.

So that's a big stage done! Next will be to add the gray and silver areas on the back panels. I will probably
    do the fine scratches as well before I move on to the next portion--the dome and lower cheeks.
    Thanks for looking!
    Dec 25, 2012, 5:54 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #13

Just beautiful E - damage looking amazing at this point.love your little darker spots - a lot of people miss these. Keep it up my friend!
    Dec 26, 2012, 3:12 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #14

Quote Jayvee said: View Post
    Just beautiful E - damage looking amazing at this point.love your little darker spots - a lot of people miss these. Keep it up my friend!
    I agree with Jayvee! Those darker spots are part of the actual helmet, but are constantly missing from most of the ESB paint jobs.

You did (and always do) an excellent paint job so far, Eric! If this is how you paint with your toes, then I would like to see how you paint with your mouth. Or other body parts?...
    Dec 26, 2012, 9:20 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #15

Wow................. looks great
    Dec 27, 2012, 4:39 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #16

Thanks, guys. The ol' ESB is coming back to me now.

UPDATE: December 27, 2012

Left rear panel is complete. I used the "standard" colors as usual:
    SP Lark Dk Gray, and Bright Silver. I cracked open a brand new bottle of silver
    for you, Scott!

Once the basic colors were on, I went back with my compass point and added the
    fine scratches. I also added the contrasting pale gray base color. It really changes
    appearance depending on the lighting and the angle. There will be more of this color
    on the right panel, and then in several places on the front of the helmet once I
    reach that stage.

Oh, and to do this detail work, I held the paintbrush between my eyelids.
    Dec 27, 2012, 7:52 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #17

Looks great! I would say that looks like the toughest part and you nailed it.
    Dec 28, 2012, 12:26 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #18

Oh, and to do this detail work, I held the paintbrush between my eyelids.
    You are killing me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	66280

The back plates looks great! As always, you constantly provide excellent info and paint work!
    Dec 28, 2012, 10:02 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #19

Absolutely beautiful work Eric!!! Can't wait for mine
    Dec 28, 2012, 4:37 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #20

Thanks guys. Here's the latest:

UPDATE: December 28, 2012

Continuing to work on the rear panels. Since I work topically, I thought I'd show the progression
    from "blank canvas" to completed section. I began by laying out the large silver area next to
    the keyslots. It looks very featureless at this stage. I just want to block in the entire area.

After adding the gray damage, it transforms into what we're used to seeing.

With the addition of the contrasting gray, this section is done! I've included two shots
    to show how the color shifts depending on the angle.

You can see that the upper right corner of this panel is done also. All that's left now
    is the area in the lower right. When that's done, I'll do the fine scratches and then
    I'll mask and prepare to airbrush the dome and lower cheek areas.
    Dec 29, 2012, 10:17 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #21

Truly amazing stuff man
    Dec 30, 2012, 10:17 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #22

Glad you like it, Scott.

UPDATE: December 30, 2012

OK, several steps to show in this update. First, I masked everything off and sprayed
    the dome and lower cheeks. I used a base of POG and then misted a lightened tone over it.
    There will be more lightening and weathering to come. But I need to place the damage
    areas first to get the weathering patterns in the right places.

When the dome/cheek green was dry, I did the upper cheeks with PRR Brunswick Green.
    I use a soft 1/2" brush for these areas. The Polly Scale paints really go on smoothly, and
    after 2 coats, there isn't a hint of brushstrokes to be seen.

Now. . . the fun part! I began placing the damage on the back of the dome. Not sure why
    but I always seem to start on the back of the helmet and work my way around counterclockwise.
    Maybe I'm just crazy!!

I use a slightly darkened SP Lark Dk Gray for the dome/cheek gray. I add a few drops of
    the PRR green until there's a good contrast. The straight SP gray just doesn't quite have
    enough of a visual difference to look right.
    (The opinions of Superjedi do not reflect those of The Dented Helmet, LLC )

After applying the gray and silver, I used my compass point again to add the fine
    scratches. I like to try and complete one section as much as possible before moving
    around the dome. Once the entire dome is done, there are so many small scratches
    that it can become a little overwhelming to do them all at once.

Next I'll continue working around the dome with the taller gray/silver area behind the
    right ear, then it's on to the area in front of the right ear. . . and the cat scratch!
    That's one of my favorite "iconic" features of the ESB helmet.
    Dec 30, 2012, 1:33 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #23

UPDATE #2: December 30, 2012

Rollin' right along. Approximately 1/4 of the dome is done now.
    Next will be the little corner in front of the right ear, and then the cat scratch!

Dec 30, 2012, 4:59 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #24

UPDATE #3: December 30, 2012

Got a lot done this weekend. I love weekends.
    The cat scratch region is complete. Traced, stenciled, and painted using
    the same colors as on the rear of the dome.

There's a bit more gray at the lower edge of the dome that extends toward the front of
    the dome, but I'll do that when I do the smallish area above the turn signals.

I should reach the dent area by Tuesday or so.
    Dec 31, 2012, 12:45 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Lucksy31 #25

I love your fantastic work(s), Eric; it is always sharp, well detailed and clean! Can't wait to see the next posts.

Now. . . the fun part! I began placing the damage on the back of the dome. Not sure why
    but I always seem to start on the back of the helmet and work my way around counterclockwise.
    Maybe I'm just crazy!!
    From the Superjedi Dictionary:

crazy
    cra·zy [krey-zee] adjective, cra·zi·er, cra·zi·est, noun, plural cra·zies.
    adjective

1. overly meticulous human being.
    2. personal technique developed for accuracy-hunger Fett-heads.
    3. painting with talent while entertaining the masses.
    4. a person who's able to paint with every part of his body using a paintbrush as an extension of his painting talent.