Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 19, 2013, 8:50 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #26

I agree with Eric! The dark gray looks the same on all the base colors (dome/cheek, red areas and back plates):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Lark Dark Gray.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	770.4 KB 
ID:	72342
  2. Oct 19, 2013, 11:00 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #27

Convincing. Raf, can you do a colour comparison on this pic? The greys I'm interested in are the light grey at the six o clock position to the dent, the darker grey immediately below this point and the grey of the brow trim... thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 5.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	72343  
    Oct 19, 2013, 11:28 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #28

Yea, that pic is the interesting one fellas, and the area I remember doing a good amount of dissection on when doing ESB. The '6 o'clock' area Garrett mentions, definitely appears to have two different greys - the little upside down 'c' type shape appears lighter, while the grey underneath it appears darker. The lighter shade by eye, appears to be similar to the grey on the red trim, though this could be thrown off with the greys playing off the other base colours. But I definitely went with two types of grey around the dent, and this could also be some sort of evidence, that two different shades of grey were indeed used around the helmet..
    Oct 19, 2013, 12:22 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #29

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    Convincing. Raf, can you do a colour comparison on this pic? The greys I'm interested in are the light grey at the six o clock position to the dent, the darker grey immediately below this point and the grey of the brow trim... thanks...
    I know about the 2 type of gray around the dent and the left lower cheek (thanks to you), but the majority of the grays looks the same on all the base colors. There are slight variations on the right side where the orange/rust color is misted in excess. Also the light is playing some tricks to the eye especially when you look at the dome colors (being a round, cup-like surface) and the rest of the helmet (round too, but with a tube-like surface), so the light didn't shine the same way even on close areas. Here are some other comparisons of the front of the dome:

Name:	ESB Lark Dark Gray 02.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	580.4 KB 
ID:	72344 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Lark Dark Gray 03.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	913.2 KB 
ID:	72345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Lark Dark Gray 04.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	514.1 KB 
ID:	72346

But looking at the dent and the long scratch behind it, it seems that the darker gray is present all the way. I need to look at some images to see if that is the case or not.
    Oct 19, 2013, 12:47 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #30

1. Superjedi. Awesome as always.

2. Raf. You are the man
    Oct 19, 2013, 2:01 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #31

Great discussion and pics! I've gotten to the point where I almost don't see an
    entire helmet when I look at those pics. . . I just see little sections of damage.

But that third pic Raf posted in post #29 is very interesting. In that pic, whether it's
    due to lighting or the angle, it seems that the lighter "upside down C" under the dent
    matches the mandible gray, while the other gray is slightly darker. Hmm. . .
  7. Oct 19, 2013, 2:30 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #32

Yeah, it is interesting and another example of how ridiculous the detail is on this helmet! I tend to go a slightly darker grey on the dome and lower cheeks as opposed to the trim and the back panels, a similar concept to the two shades of red on the mandibles and trim I suppose...
    Oct 19, 2013, 3:24 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #33

I'd say it's ridiculous how closely we study these minute details! But the more that is
    learned about the reference pics, the better the replicas become, and that's a good thing!

UPDATE: October 19, 2013

There will be a slight pause after this update because my company is sending me on travel
    starting tomorrow. But I'll be back at it in a few days.

I've completed all the remaining red areas behind the ears. Still using my gray/silver/maroon
    combo, and I'll continue on with this for the remainder of the mandible areas.

This area will wind up looking different once the thumbprints are applied. There will be some
    white streaking coming back from the lower thumbprint, which will give it a slight washed appearance.

I've also made it around the ear platform and just started on the front portion. Here's the left
    corner of the T-visor.

So that's it for the next few days. I should have internet access where I'm going, so I'll
    be able to check in on all you crazy TDHers.
    Oct 24, 2013, 2:11 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #34

UPDATE: October 24, 2013

OK, back from my trip and back to work on the helmet.
    I've continued onto the band above the visor cutout. This is the left half completed.

Same colors, and some very fine scratches added with my compass point. You can
    see that I've laid down the base gray around on the right half as well. I'll detail this
    portion next with silver and the maroon color.
    Oct 26, 2013, 4:17 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #35

UPDATE: October 26, 2013

Here are 2 pics to show the last couple days' progress.
    First, the right side of the band above the visor cutout.

I did the left mandible after that. Lots of juicy detail here!

I'll begin laying out the damage on the right mandible next. That's the last "major" portion
    that remains. There are some additional weathering stages to do, including the white
    thumbprints, pastel application, the tan/rust spatter, and the grease stains on the back
    of the dome.
    I also have the ears and RF assembly to do. We're well over the hump and on the way
    to a completed helmet!
    Oct 30, 2013, 9:28 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #36

UPDATE: October 30, 2013

Whew! Got lots done over the past 3 or 4 days. After about 7 sessions, I got the right
    mandible done. This area always makes me cross-eyed. It's one of the most detail-intensive
    parts of the helmet, and it takes constant checking of the reference pics to make sure the
    shapes and proportions of the damage are as close as they can be.

This area, and the whole helmet, will receive a bit of the pale contrasting gray. So even
    after all that effort, it's still not quite done! But there's much less of the pale gray on the
    front of the helmet than on the back.

Also seen above is the brass Borden connector. The Borden received a thin wash of a light
    green/gray mixture to give it a sort of patinated look, like "old" brass. The wash is applied
    sparingly to allow the base metal show through. Then it was detailed with a bit of silver.

When I didn't have quite as much time to spend on the helmet itself, I worked on the left ear.
    The white arch was masked and airbrushed on, with chips courtesy of Winsor & Newton
    masking fluid. It was then detailed with light gray and red. The black markings were done
    with dry transfer (rub-on) lettering. I used 2 capital E's and 2 tiny squares cut from other letters.

I use a bolt-on method of ear attachment, so they are removable. The ear is yet to receive its
    final weathering with some tan/brown staining near the bottom.

So now all of the "major" painting on the helmet is complete! Final details and weathering to come.
    Oct 30, 2013, 10:53 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #37

Wow!
    Oct 31, 2013, 12:49 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #38

Glad you like it, Mathias!

UPDATE: Halloween, 2013

Hello all you spooky ghoulish TDHers! As October comes to a close, I have begun
    working on the helmet's weathering effects. I began with the odd patches of pale gray.
    There has been a lot of debate on this color, and what it represents. Some believe that
    it is the helmet's original gelcoat where the paint has been scraped or rubbed away. Or
    it could be an additional layer/primer that was laid down before the real painting began.
    Either way, it's a very cool feature of the ESB helmet. I use a very pale bluish-gray acrylic
    craft paint to add this color. The color is called Blue Wisp by Ceramcoat.

Here are a couple of pics showing how this color "hides" depending on the light source and
    the viewing angle. First, the back panels. This shot, in more direct light, barely shows
    any hint of the contrasting color.

When the helmet is rotated so that the light falls at a more oblique angle, the color pops into view.

There are several other small areas where this color appears. The next most evident area is down
    the outer edge of the right mandible. Here's an angle showing that the color blends with the silver.

But when the helmet is rotated away from the light, it becomes more apparent.

There are very fine traces of this color within the dent. Viewed in direct light, the color is
    slightly evident, but not fully realized.

Change the angle, and those fine lines and scratches come into view.

So there you have the beginning of the weathering stages! In the picture above, you can
    also see a portion of the "fade" below the killstripes.
    I have also done the white thumbprints around the killstripes. . . but I forgot to take pics.
    More to come!
    Oct 31, 2013, 12:57 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #39

Great explanations with images of the base gray's effect. According to the Boba Fett - Progress Report (from Oct. 3rd, 1978) the 6th helmet was painted grey and sent to U.S.A., so we might talk about the ESB Hero helmet.

As always, your paint thread(s) is(are) very informative and fun to watch. keep up the already great work, Eric!
  15. Oct 31, 2013, 2:07 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #40

Looks great! You certainly got the base grey spot on. I think it's possible the helmet colour is the yellowish hue we see under the right hand ear pieces, the base grey appears to be a layer on top of this...
    Oct 31, 2013, 4:16 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #41

Raf, interesting info about helmet #6.

Garrett, the yellowish hue. . . do you mean the gap between the upper and lower ear pieces?
    I've always seen this as the same pale gray as is found scattered over the helmet.
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Oct 31, 2013, 4:22 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #42

Impressive!
  18. Oct 31, 2013, 4:41 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #43

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Raf, interesting info about helmet #6.

Garrett, the yellowish hue. . . do you mean the gap between the upper and lower ear pieces?
    I've always seen this as the same pale gray as is found scattered over the helmet.
    I'm referring to the pics from the EFX moulding video of the ESB hero. There is an image of the helmet with the right hand ears off where we can see the platforms. There appears to be yellowish areas within the base grey colour, possibly a layer beneath the grey... I'll see if I can find a picture...
    Oct 31, 2013, 8:11 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #44

Oh, OK. I watched that video only once. I'll check it out again and see if
    I can spot what you're talking about.
    Nov 5, 2013, 11:43 AM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #45

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    I'm referring to the pics from the EFX moulding video of the ESB hero. There is an image of the helmet with the right hand ears off where we can see the platforms. There appears to be yellowish areas within the base grey colour, possibly a layer beneath the grey... I'll see if I can find a picture...
    Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Oh, OK. I watched that video only once. I'll check it out again and see if
    I can spot what you're talking about.
    Here are the images:

Name:	ESB Casting Ear Platforms.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	72678 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Casting Right Ear Platform.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	72679

And the base gray is the same on the right ear platform and in the silver scratches:

Name:	ESB Helmet Base Gray.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	564.8 KB 
ID:	72680
    Nov 5, 2013, 4:16 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #46

Thanks, Raf! Yeah, I had watched the video again but had no way to do screen grabs.
    To me, that yellowish color appears to be the base color of the gelcoat/resin.
    Nov 5, 2013, 6:54 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #47

UPDATE: November 5, 2013

Remember, remember. . .

I got the circuit board mounted in the keyslots. Had to use a flash to get the details,
    so the colors are a little blown out.

I also got the base coat down on the RF ear parts yesterday, and today started the
    detail painting with the lower half. The ear is just hanging by the bolts, so it's not quite
    in the proper position.

I'll work on masking and painting the black arch on the upper piece next. Once all the
    detail painting is complete, the RF ear parts will get some light pastel weathering, then
    a flat coat. Once the flat coat is on, I'll mask and spray the metallic portions.
    Nov 5, 2013, 7:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #48

Forgive me if you have posted this in one of your other threads and I just missed it but how do you go about attaching the ears on these helmets? Clearly it is with some sort of screw but are you sinking nuts into the ears and then screwing the bolts into them from inside the helmet or sinking screws into the ears and have the bolts on the inside of the helmet or some other way?
    Nov 5, 2013, 9:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #49

Hi Pred,
    No problem. Check this thread for a more detailed description of my ear attachment method.
    It's in post #21.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/s...gmh-pp2-45496/

I've been using this method for resin ears for several years now.
    Nov 5, 2013, 10:53 PM - Re: Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Locitus #50

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

One quick question about it, do you fill in the hole you created to level it off or just coat the top of the screw head?