Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Superjedi's FPH2 for PostieSubscribe
    Aug 26, 2015, 7:14 PM - Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #1

I'm baaaaaaack!

Hi ESB fans! I'm beginning another commission on a fantastic FPH2-ESB bucket. This one is for member
    Postie. I'm excited to get to work on this one as Colin has an amazing life size bust collection, and this will
    literally top off his Fett! It's also, as far as I can recall, the first helmet I've done that will be sent south of the
    equator. Colin and his collection reside in New Zealand.

I'm going to begin this thread at DAY 2 as I worked on all the prep yesterday. FP's casting skills remain at
    the pinnacle of the hobby. The kit primarily needed to have the visor area cut out, and then the edges thinned.
    Some very quick clean up of the ear parts, and we have what's seen in these pics.

The accessories are shown below. Nicely cast ear parts, a 4-piece RF topper, solid aluminum stalk, and a resin
    Borden. Not shown are the pre-formed smoke visor and the ear attachment hardware.

At this stage the helmet has had a coat of Duplicolor primer sprayed on. The ears still need to be primed. I like to install
    the ear hardware first. I can then use the screws as paint handles. Makes things a little easier to manage.
    Much more to come!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Aug 26, 2015, 10:10 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #2

Can't wait to see this !!
    Aug 26, 2015, 10:28 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #3

You are a machine.
    Aug 26, 2015, 10:37 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #4

Every time I see one of these I get more excited for my FPH2 to get here!
    Aug 27, 2015, 6:04 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #5

Follow along! I always enjoy reading comments and answering questions.

Quote catbread said: View Post
    You are a machine.
    I assure you, I am quite huma0101010 111010011 0101 010110.

Uh oh. . .

7. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Aug 27, 2015, 10:02 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #6

Quote Furious said: View Post
    Every time I see one of these I get more excited for my FPH2 to get here!
    Me too!........
    Aug 29, 2015, 6:56 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #7

UPDATE: DAY 5

Been a busy bee the past couple of days. I got the base color laid down on the back panels, then got everything masked
    for the dark green coat. Here are a couple pics of the masking fluid already applied. It appears slightly darker and shiny.
    On the right panel, there were still a few wet spots when I took the pics.

Airbrushing the rear panels is fun! I begin with a medium, translucent coat of RLM 73. Then I adjust my air pressure and spray pattern
    to get finer detail. I go back and darken certain areas, trying to match the slight inconsistencies seen in the reference pics.

I can never quite get everything in the exact shape I want using the masking fluid. So once everything is dry and I remove the mask,
    I go back with a fine brush and tweak the edges of the damage areas.

I also go back with the RLM 73 and add some of the darker spots using a brush. It's the same color but since it's applied by brush it comes
    out much denser than when it's airbrushed on. So it appears darker.

Next I'll begin the gray and silver damage. There will be more weathering on the rear panels, but I'll tackle the gray and silver first.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Aug 30, 2015, 12:50 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #8

Looking great as usual!
    Aug 30, 2015, 3:57 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #9

Sweet!

Sent from a galaxy far far away
    Aug 30, 2015, 4:12 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #10

Thanks, guys.

UPDATE: DAY 6

The left panel is complete and that will bring my weekend hobby time to a close. Several sessions throughout the day
    got me to where you see in the pics.

All that remains is the pale contrasting gray, which I'll add all over the helmet at the end of the project.

This sets me up to begin the right panel during the week. . . sigh.
    Sep 4, 2015, 3:16 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #11

UPDATE: DAY 11

Sheesh. . . work's been killing my hobby time during the week, but I've made some progress here and there. I finally got to a point
    where I finished the big silver section on the rear right panel, so here are a couple of pics. It's hard to find an angle that doesn't
    make the silver look blown out!

I'll be working on the remainder of the right panel next.
    Sep 4, 2015, 3:39 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #12

Stunning job as always, Superjedi! Can't wait to see it finished (and see if you'll tell us some more of your secrets )
    Sep 5, 2015, 10:32 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #13

Thanks! If you have any questions, just shout 'em out.

UPDATE: DAY 12

OK, back on the weekend schedule! The work on the rest of the right panel was actually completed late yesterday but it was
    getting late and I like to have at least some natural light to take pics.

Next I'll mask off the rear panels and lay down the base color and first weathering pass on the dome and inner cheeks.
    Sep 5, 2015, 5:14 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #14

UPDATE 2: DAY 12

Let's get rid of all that gray primer! Got the base layer and the first weathering pass done on the dome and cheeks.

I'll do additional weathering toward the end of the project. After I sprayed on the base green, I used a blend of some acrylic green and gray to
    weather it down and make it look uneven and oxidized. This was done in cloudy random patterns just to break up the stark look of the dome
    and cheeks. Once this is dry I'll be able to begin doing the gray and silver damage. I'll start where I always do--the rear of the dome.
    Sep 5, 2015, 5:20 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #15

That dome green looks really spot on! I can't remember if you've mentioned the color...
    Sep 6, 2015, 12:27 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #16

Thanks. It's weathered down with a blend of Tamiya NATO Green and Light Gray.

UPDATE: DAY 13

This is one of my favorite parts of the helmet. It doesn't get a lot of attention because it's on the back side, but there's so
    much cool detail to do. I painted the basic damage shapes with my gray and silver, then went back and did the "effects"
    using a combination of silver and fine physical scratches with a sharpened dental tool.

I try to use a few different reference pics while I'm doing the small scratches. In some pics, some of the marks will appear white, but
    in a different pic, they'll appear silver.

There will be more of these fine scratches applied once I do some more of the gray and silver. That way I have some landmarks
    to go by to make sure the scratches are placed where they should be.
    Sep 6, 2015, 4:02 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #17

UPDATE 2: DAY 13

Continuing around the dome counter-clockwise. This is the "stack" behind the RF ear. More gray and silver,
    and more fine scratches.

Next I'll jump across the ear arch and start the cat scratch area--another one of my favorites to paint!
    Sep 7, 2015, 11:30 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #18

UPDATE: DAY 14

Two weeks in now! Got the cat scratch region done just a few minutes ago. I do these three areas together because
    their positions are so closely related. Lots of detail in the cat scratch itself!

The area above and between the turn signals will be next.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Sep 7, 2015, 12:53 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #19

One of my favorite details!
    Sep 7, 2015, 1:59 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #20

Great job on the cat scratch. I can never get mine to the point I like. As you said there is so much detail in it.
    Sep 7, 2015, 4:46 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #21

Thanks, guys! Yeah, the cat scratch is one of those detail-dense areas on the ESB helmet.

UPDATE 2: DAY 14

Using the long Labor Day weekend to good advantage. I got the small area around the turn signals done, and I also
    filled the dent with silver. This just makes it easier for me to see the outline when I place the stencil onto that area.

I'll begin the dent and the "comet tail" coming back from it during the week.
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Sep 7, 2015, 8:40 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #22

Super clean work as always!
    Sep 12, 2015, 5:51 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #23

Thanks, beetle!

UPDATE: DAY 19

Had very little time to work on the helmet the past few days. But over a few sessions, I finally completed the dent area!

This is my #1 favorite feature on the helmet. I love the little flecks inside the dent, and the small details in the "tail" that
    comes back from it. Still need to apply the pale contrasting gray, but that will come at the end of the project.

I'll be working on the big scrape across the top of the dome next.
    Sep 13, 2015, 6:07 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #24

UPDATE: DAY 20

Well, not as much done as I would have liked, but I got the big dome scrape finished. The reference shots I've seen for this area
    are sort of lower angle shots, so everything looks different depending on which pic I'm looking at. But by using about 3 different
    pics, I work on a portion of the area at a time.

This sets me up for killstripes! Those will get done over the next few days.
    Sep 14, 2015, 7:41 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie #25

UPDATE: DAY 21

Three weeks in now. Finally got to use some colors other than gray and silver! I finished the killstripes
    a little while ago. I've done a whole killstripe tutorial so I'll skip over the details for now. It's a whole lot of
    masking for a relatively small amount of airbrushing, but it's gotta be done.

The fade is subtle and it should be apparent if you hold a couple of fingers up to the next pic so they cover a few of the
    stripes in the middle of the run.

Next I'll add the damage between and around the stripes.