Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 28, 2015, 4:44 PM - Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #1

Hi all!
    I'm happy to be starting a new ESB commission. This is my first helmet post-Celebration VII, and I'm
    rejuvenated, revitalized, renewed, and refreshed! It's another FPH2-ESB and this one is for Jbdubz.

I'm going to call this DAY 2 since I did all the prep work yesterday. Anyone who's seen one of these helmets
    up close knows that there isn't really that much prep to do. The casting is just superb, and the only thing that's
    really needed on the lid itself is to cut out the visor area. I did that, as well as thinned out the edges. I also
    sanded the backs of the ears to make sure they are nice and flat. I drilled some holes in the ear platforms,
    and that was pretty much it. Here's the kit.

Not shown are the very nice smoke visor, and a second RF topper by TerminalFettler. I'll be finishing both toppers.
    There's also a machined Borden connector on its way to me.

It's pretty stormy here today and the humidity is ridiculous. Since I need to spray some primer, I'll wait until tomorrow
    and hope for better weather. There will be a lot more to come!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    May 28, 2015, 5:12 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #2

Nice!! subscribed
    May 28, 2015, 5:24 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #3

I shall be following along too. I wish it was my FPH2 and my Superjedi commission, but alas, I can afford neither right now. I'll just live vicariously through this thread.
    May 28, 2015, 8:26 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #4

Awwwwww yeeeaaaaahhh! I've been waiting for this one. Subscribed.
    May 28, 2015, 8:34 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #5

Subscribing once again! I still look at your last one daily.
    May 28, 2015, 9:19 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #6

Definitely subscribing to this one! I stop and stare at mine everyday when I walk by it.
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    May 29, 2015, 11:02 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #7

Subscribed. Need to learn as much as I can before mine arrives.
    May 29, 2015, 1:07 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #8

i know I've said this many times E, i will be following this thread!! but for some reason, probably a little closer than any other times before! LOL
    May 29, 2015, 1:19 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #9

This is going to be great.
    May 29, 2015, 5:43 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #10

I say you save your template resizes and post them so us less patient people can use them
    May 30, 2015, 7:01 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #11

Thanks, all! Glad to have everyone along for the ride.

UPDATE: DAY 4:

OK, this is the first color stage. It also happens to be the last "easy" stage for the whole helmet.
    I got the beige airbrushed on the rear panels. Not a big update visually, but it gives some contrast
    from all that gray primer.

I'll let this dry all day then get ready to apply the stencils for the dark green shade.
  13. May 30, 2015, 9:22 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #12

Hi! It is exciting to see each new project of yours :-). Greetings from Argentina.
    May 31, 2015, 9:33 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #13

Thanks, sepulturero52!

UPDATE: DAY 5

Now we're gettin' somewhere. This update will show several steps involving many hours of work.
    First, the rear panels were stenciled. Then I applied liquid mask. I took these pics right after I finished
    applying the mask, and it's still wet on the right panel. The wet areas look white.

After the mask was totally dry I airbrushed on the dark green shade. I do this in a couple of stages. First off, I do a medium coat
    just to cover the panels, while leaving the color a bit translucent. Then I go back using my reference pics and start to build up the
    color in certain areas. I do this with relatively low pressure and low paint flow. I work carefully to make sure there's a good balance
    between the coverage on each panel. After the green dries, I remove the masking fluid.

Once the mask is removed, I go back with a small detail brush (size 000 in this case) and tweak the edges of the beige portions.
    I start with Rafal's templates to get 90% of the way there. But it's really hard sometimes to get the liquid mask to flow into the
    very small nooks and protrusions. So I always do touch ups. Here's how the left panel came out.

A little closer.

After I tweak the beige portions, I go back and add some additional detail with the dark green as well. There's a bit of this
    scattered around both panels. The color appears slightly darker because when it's applied with a brush it's much denser
    than when it's airbrushed on. Here's the right panel.

Closer again.

There will be some more weathering added toward the end of the project so the beige/green isn't quite in its final configuration.
    Next up will be doing the gray and silver damage!
    May 31, 2015, 9:55 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #14

Looking great so far. Your brush detail is amazing. I think some of the points and nooks you paint would still look sharp under a microscope.
    May 31, 2015, 2:39 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #15

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    There will be some more weathering added toward the end of the project so the beige/green isn't quite in its final configuration.
    Next up will be doing the gray and silver damage!
    imageuploadedbytapatalk1433100841-036376-jpg

looking great Eric! i can feel the drool glands beginning to activate...

Sent from my R2 unit using Tapatalk
    May 31, 2015, 11:55 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #16

Hell Yeah!
    Jun 1, 2015, 10:31 AM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #17

Awesome E! Is that just the lighting, or is that a different green mix you are using for the back panels this time? Looks sharp..
    Jun 1, 2015, 4:57 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #18

Thanks a lot, guys!
    Jonny, good eye. . . I did change up my rear panel green. After talking with some very knowledgeable folks at C VII, I went back and
    pored over the reference pics that I have, and went with RLM 73. I may be a "slow adopter" when it comes to change, but darned if
    it doesn't look spot on. The dark green mix that I have been using is really close. . . but now that I gritted my teeth and tried the 73,
    it came out great.

UPDATE: DAY 6

OK, got the detailing on the left panel done! Spent several hours doing the gray and silver, then went back with a couple of sharp
    tools and added the very fine scratches. The only thing that remains is the contrasting pale gray, which I will do at the end of the
    paint up. I like to do it all at once, as there's really not that much altogether. Here are a couple of pics.

More closer upper.

An alternate angle, showing how the silver pops depending on the light.

So now I'm all set to begin the right panel. . . *sigh*. . . crossed eyes, here I come!
    Jun 4, 2015, 4:55 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #19

UPDATE: DAY 9

My hobby time slows to a trickle during the week, but I'm making progress on the right rear panel.
    I got the largest portion done just a few minutes ago. . . whew! Lots of flicking my eyes back and forth
    from the reference pics to the helmet. This section and the right mandible have so much detail crammed
    into a relatively small area, and it took me several sessions over the past 3 days to get this done.

Here are a couple of different angles.

Again, the pale contrasting gray isn't on there yet. I'll do that at the end of the paint up. I'll be working on
    the remaining sections of the panel over the next couple of days.
    Jun 4, 2015, 5:05 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #20

Sensational Eric !!!!!!
    Jun 4, 2015, 5:06 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #21

sooo SHINY!
    Jun 5, 2015, 6:25 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #22

Thanks! Glad you're liking it, Jeremy.

UPDATE: DAY 10

Had a little more time than I thought this afternoon, so I managed to get the rest of the right panel done. I always forget
    there's a good amount of detail in the lower right portion of the panel. Here are a few angles.

I'll be doing some weathering with pastels once all the "basic" paintwork is done, so there will be just a bit more weathering
    on some of these areas. Pastels are usually my last step before the final clearcoat. I like working with pastels as you can get
    some nice subtle effects, but they have to be sealed or they'll smudge when the helmet is handled.

With the rear panels done, this sets me up to do the base color on the dome and inner cheeks! The helmet will really
    begin to change appearance once that primer gray is mostly gone.
    Jun 5, 2015, 6:30 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #23

friggin GOWGEOUS man! glad you made it past that back right panel in one piece ;-)
    Jun 6, 2015, 5:10 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #24

Thanks, Jeremy! Yeah, I made it through the back panel stage. But the horror of the mandibles is still to come!

UPDATE: DAY 11

There are a couple of stages to show in this update. First I masked off the back panels and laid down the base coat
    for the dome and inner cheeks. Then I mixed a slightly lightened shade and airbrushed that on, giving it cloudy, uneven
    coverage. It always looks odd at this stage.

The pics show it as lighter than it looks by eye. I think that's because it's a big unbroken expanse of green. Once the damage
    is placed the color will seem to shift a little darker. The final weathering stages will change the color even more. But I like the
    contrast between the dome and the rear panels.

This will dry overnight and then I'll begin the gray and silver damage at the back of the dome.
    Jun 6, 2015, 5:43 PM - Re: Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz #25

The attention to detail for these master paint ups is so impressive. So many hours...