Outstanding work so far....keep the pics coming.:thumbsup
Looks great :(
are you done yet?
how 'bout now?
That's just crazy :eek
Eric, not sure how you do it bro. I remember back in my paint days, people credited me for being quick, wondering if I ever slept. Wondering how I "Did it" ... Dude, this isn't the first time I've seen you do this. And the attention to detail and quality never suffer. The finished product is always FANTASTIC !!!
Dude, you are a "Machine" :lol
Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, right?
The machine that IS "Superjedi" .... :lol
Great work man !
Great work SJ.... and Oh my G~@ - how fast this thing is coming together! :eek
I love your progress threads I will be watching this paint job with great interest. great work so far keep it coming.
Geez, you animals!! :lol I have to do boring stuff sometimes, like work and sleep. ;)
Chris, any decent paint job has to start with a great canvas. And this one's just phenomenal!! I can't say it enough. . . bravo for an incredible helmet! :thumbup
But to satisfy those who are watching. . .
UPDATE: November 13th
I got home early enough to do some airbrushing! Hooray!! :thumbsup
I masked off almost the entire helmet (this is the most extensive masking for the whole project) and shot some Floquil Boxcar Red. I tend to use acrylics wherever possible for most of the rest of the helmet. They're easier to thin and clean up. Just some running water, and my spray gun is nice and clean. But there is a significant variance in some of the batches of Polly Scale Boxcar Red, which is the acrylic version. So I use the enamel for my mandibles.
Another reason I prefer acrylics is that they dry so much faster. Now that the mandibles are painted, I'll have to let it dry at least 24 hours before I even think about handling it. With my acrylics, I can handle it much sooner.
So here it is with all the major colors applied!
After the Boxcar Red is nice and dry, I can begin the rest of the damage on the back right panel, and then start working my way around. :)
Awesome SJ. Just awesome. I can't wait to see how it compares to the Sgt Fang you did earlier this year.
Impressive talent. I like your method and detail.
Looking great, can't wait to see the finished product.
:cry Soooo Beautiful!!
Amazing work as always SJ. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbup
u the man eric!!! :thumbsup
Thanks, all! Here's where the fun begins. . .
UPDATE: November 14th
Kind of a smallish update today. I began painting the damage on the back right panel.
Same colors, same techniques. I got the upper right corner, and the lower right area complete, and have blocked in the big silver area just to the right of the keyslots.
Still have to go back and detail this area, but I won't do all that craziness till tomorrow. :)
An overall shot:
A closer look at the lower right area.
Gotta give my eyeballs a break! :lol
:fettesb SJ, your work is exactly what I want to achieve with my paintjob, only you do in a week what takes me a month. One of these threads should be stickied to show the proper way to paint a helmet. You are the man!!!! FP, I think you have provided him the ultimate canvas in which to apply his talent.:thumbsup
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup with envy..awesome job Bro...
SD68, I'm pretty organized when I'm painting. I have everything I need basically within arm's reach, so I think that's a big time saver right there.
UPDATE: November 15th
Whew!! Man, that right panel is a killer! :p These 2 pics show several hours work between last night and this afternoon. I did all the detailing in the big silver area, using SP Lark Dark Gray, and some of the blue green color.
I also got the keyslot area done, using those same 2 colors plus PRR Maroon for the darker reddish damage. These are the same 3 colors I'll be using for a while now as I begin to work my way around the 'hatband' toward the areas around the ears, and around the front to the mandibles.
Now I have to go cook a turkey for our squadron's Thanksgiving buffet tomorrow. I wonder what they would say if I used green and red food coloring to make an ESB style turkey. :lol
Thanks again for keeping up with the thread! :thumbsup
Amazing job! Keep up the great work. You are giving me something to shoot for when I get one of these buckets.
Super nice work Jedi,
Cant wait to get one and paint it up as well !
I can only hope to do such a fine job - and fast as heck with accuracy !!!
Nice work !
This is an awesome tutorial. The techniques are well described and can be used on many props. Thanks for posting all your fine work!
Glad you guys are enjoying the progress. I'm having fun documenting it.
UPDATE: November 16th
Round and round we go. . .
Started working on the band. I began above the keyslots, and have made it to the vertical part behind the right ear. I'm using those same 3 colors described earlier. Next will be the left portion! :)
UPDATE: November 17th
OK, been fairly productive today. I've finished the back half of the red band and have done the front section above the visor cutout.
Here's a couple of angles.
Next come the mandibles themselves! :D