Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Superjedi's FP Budget ESB for Mynock

From
    Newport News, VA

Superjedi's FP Budget ESB for Mynock

Hi all!
    I'm back at it. This time around I'm working on one of the "Budget" helmet kits from Animefan.
    The only thing "budget" about this kit is the cost because the casting looks great. I haven't
    worked on a helmet with molded-on ears for quite a while, but the helmet arrived in great shape.
    There were a couple of small air bubbles to fill on the sharp corners of the ear parts, but a little
    epoxy putty took care of those in short order.

This is a cold-cast helmet, but since I had to putty a couple spots on the ears, I'll be painting
    the exposed silver on the RF ear parts. No biggie!

I received the helmet on July 1st and began with the *yawn* prep. . . Got the visor area cut out
    and thinned down, sanded a couple of rougher spots, and shot some Duplicolor self-etching primer.
    I like using this for cold-cast, as it bites into the surface nicely and gives a nice rugged base coat.

I'm beginning where I always begin: the back panels. I'm a creature of habit! I just got done
    airbrushing on the Concrete, and I'll give it until tomorrow so it's nice and dry. Then I'll begin
    stenciling and masking for the darker bluish-green shade.

From
    Massachusetts

Re: Superjedi's FP Budget ESB for Mynock

Oh boy here we go found my new favorite thread! looking forward to more.

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, G2B.

UPDATE: July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July! I'll be taking advantage of the long weekend to do some Fettin'.
    The Concrete on the back panels was nice and dry this morning, so I began stenciling and masking
    for the darker green. I use Winsor & Newton masking fluid for this stage. In the following pics, the
    masked areas appear darker and a little shiny.

I airbrushed on the darker shade, leaving the first coat just a tiny bit translucent, then going back
    and darkening certain areas according to my reference pics.

I always check the reference pics carefully and tweak the edges of the Concrete sections with a fine
    brush. This helps to make sure the shapes match as closely as I can get them. I also go back and add
    some of the "anti-chips" of the dark green. They're scattered around on the panels. It's a subtle detail,
    but it brings some depth to those areas.

Now that this stage is done, I can begin the gray and silver detailing. I'll have more to show tomorrow!

From
    Portchester UK

Just amazing already, you work in details i cant haven't even noticed .

Oh man. I can't wait!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, guys. Enjoy, Mynock!

UPDATE: July 5, 2014

OK, got the left panel done. Silver and gray. . . silver and gray. . . I'll be using these colors
    quite a lot during the remainder of the paint job.

Next up is the right panel, with that huge silver area!

From
    Denver, CO

Beautiful work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From
    Massachusetts

Mynock said: View Post
    Oh man. I can't wait!
    Yes I agree, pm sent

From
    Perth, Western Australia

You Sir, are a machine!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks, guys! G2B, PM returned.

UPDATE: July 6, 2014

Right panel, part 1.
    Whew! Gotta give my poor old eyes and wrists a break.
    This is the most detail-dense area on the whole helmet. Maybe that's why I get the back
    panels out of the way first. Everything after this is downhill!

Still need to do the upper and lower right corners of this section. Have to let my
    eyes uncross first, though.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE #2: July 6, 2014

Well, the weekend is winding down and that extra day sure helped things along.
    The back panels are complete. Got the remainder of the right panel done this
    afternoon, and added the small physical scratches (I did this on the left panel, too).

So tomorrow it'll be time to mask the back panels off and apply the base color to the dome and cheeks!

I am having a hard time believing this awesomeness is happening to my helmet. That detail is incredible!

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks. Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy the updates.

UPDATE: July 7, 2014

Got the base coat and first weathering pass done on the dome and inner cheeks. After spraying
    the base coat on, I mix a slightly lightened shade and airbrush it on in cloudy, broken patterns.
    More weathering be applied toward the end of the project.

The base coat will dry overnight and then I'll begin detailing the dome with the gray and silver combo.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: July 9, 2014

The last couple of days progress:

Gray and silver, gray and silver.
    Plus lots of tiny physical scratches. There are some on other areas of the helmet, but
    the majority are on the back of the dome. I use a sharp compass point to do these.

Next up will be the area just in front of the RF ear platform and the cat scratch. One of my favorites!

I keep downloading each photo you post and stare at them all a little throughout the day.... Okay. Stare a lot.

From
    Newport News, VA

LOL! Thanks, man. Hope you spend as much time staring at the actual helmet
    once you have it in hand.

From
    Portchester UK

Just amazing work, seriously who needs efx with the way these things are put together so beautifuly.
    I think I want to start collecting lids painted by my favorite painters.

From
    Denver, CO

Looking great......

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks!

UPDATE: July 10, 2014

Moving around the dome now. I've got the whole cat scratch region complete. I like to do these
    three areas together because the space between them is important, and once I get going, I just
    work until it's done cuz the cat scratch looks so cool!

For tomorrow: the smallish damage areas above and around the turn signals.
    Then, it's on to. . . the dent!

From
    Massachusetts

I agree SJ the cat scratch is one of my favorite points too. And yours is perfect nice work, real nice. I'm getting excited and Mynock is the proud owner.

superjedi said: View Post
    LOL! Thanks, man. Hope you spend as much time staring at the actual helmet
    once you have it in hand.

When I get my hands on it, the only staring that will be happening will be through the visor outward !

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks again. I wonder if Mynock will put it on and never take it off again!

UPDATE: July 11, 2014

Smaller update today. Did the small area around/above the turn signals, and filled in the dent
    with silver. Also did the physical scratches around this section.

I like to have a good amount of time when working on the dent/streak, so I left
    that for tomorrow. I'm hoping to get that finished as well as the big scrape on
    top of the dome. Then it'll be on to killstripes.

From
    Newport News, VA

UPDATE: July 12, 2014

Dentage! This is another fun area to do. It's probably the most recognizable
    feature of the helmet, and there's lots of small detail intermingled within and around the dent.
    It's hard to photograph without glare since it curves around a good portion of the dome, so
    here are 2 different angles.

I got started on the big scrape, but I had to take a break. I'll finish it tomorrow and then
    I'll cut the physical damage into the cheeks/mandibles and paint the outer cheeks.

The dent is one of my favourite parts on the whole helmet. Looks terrific!

How do you find the difference between the budget kit and the other lids you have painted? Would you say having the ears molded on is more challenging to paint, or less? Any notable size difference between this helmet and others you have worked on that would affect the positioning of major detail elements etc?
    Last edited by Mynock; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

From
    Newport News, VA

For the ear question, it's basically a bit of extra masking when I do the red color on the mandibles.
    As you've noticed, the left ear is already painted. I use the same color on it as I do on the dome/cheeks.
    But before doing the weathering on the dome/cheeks, I masked off the left ear so the color remains "pure."
    Just before I airbrush the mandible color, I'll mask everything off and apply the beige color on the RF ear.

On the ears-on helmets, I just find it's easier to mask off the ears than it is to mask around the ears.

The budget kit (same as the premium, only with ears-on) is a great helmet. It's larger than the GMH, but
    most size differences between different helmets are relatively small. Unless you're comparing something
    like an MSH2 with the GMH. Then the size difference is pretty large!
    When I do my stencils, I adjust them based on whatever helmet I'm working on. Since some of the damage
    areas on the ESB are stand-alone areas, if there are a few millimeters difference between the helmets, I
    don't generally alter my stencils. However in other areas, the size difference certainly plays a part in the
    proportion and position of the damage. One example is on the right mandible. I couldn't use my GMH stencil
    for the Budget/Premium helmet, because the size difference would be pretty noticeable, and the positions
    of the damage areas would be off.

Another example is the dent/streak. I have separate stencils for this area for the GMH and the Budget/Premium
    kits. The streak stretches over such a large curve of the dome, this requires that the overall scale of the
    stencil be increased to match the larger surface of the Budget/Premium helmet. Again, it's not a huge
    difference, but it would certainly be noticeable.

I have a few commissions lined up for the FPH2. I still haven't had one of these in hand, and whenever I
    receive the first one, I'll do some measurements, compare them to my existing stencils, and see what needs
    to be tweaked size-wise for that particular helmet.

But the smallest helmet that I've ever painted was a 1/4 scale replacement for the Sideshow Premium Format
    Fett statue. Natty15d did an amazing sculpt that looks so much better than the helmet that came on the
    figure! That was really fun to do, and I used my "standard" ESB color palette on it. Here it is.

No stencils for that little guy!