Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colorsSubscribe
    Mar 5, 2013, 1:10 PM - Re: tk7602's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #76

That's a bad *** looking helmet , u should be proud .
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Jan 5, 2014, 12:10 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #77

Jul 2, 2014, 10:48 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #78

Thanks for posting! This is super helpful.
    Feb 16, 2015, 8:52 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #79

awww man, I wish I had noticed this before, my bucket looks like a christmas tree time to go paint hunting again
    Feb 16, 2015, 5:50 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #80

This is really helpful,.I was clueless on the colors, thanks for this.
    Jun 25, 2015, 9:42 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #81

Thanks a lot! This has come in handy with my rotj helmet!
    Nov 8, 2015, 11:09 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #82

Would all these paints and ideas be useful for the target Helmet?
    Nov 16, 2015, 2:35 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #83

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    Since there seem to always be threads about paint colors for RotJ, I figured I'd create some search-fodder.

This is just what i like. This isn't "right". You might hate the results. The cans might explode, sending shrapnel into your eyes. I'm not to blame for any of that!! Enough folks have said they like my suit that I guess it's at least ok.

Personally, I think you should seek out the colors that YOU like best, rather than just trusting someone else to make the decision. It's your helmet, so make it you YOU want it, not how I want it!

Also note that I'm not mentioning anything about the subtle weathering... mists of grey and brown, graphite powder, razor scratches, etc...

This is my helmet:

http://stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/a...tjhelm%7E0.jpg

And here's what I painted it with:

http://stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/a...rotjhelmet.jpg

From left to right:
    Grey Primer
    Metallic Silver
    Moss Green
    Sage Green
    Claret Wine
    Hunter Green
    Navy Blue
    Flat Black

Start off with a coat of primer, followed by a coat of silver.

Mask off the silver parts with latex masking fluid, then spray a coat of primer. This will act as a grey base, since some grey damage shows through.

From there, you'll be masking off various parts of the helmet for different things. Since this is just a paint list, not a real tutorial, I'll just leave it at that.

For the dome and cheeks, I use a mix of colors. I basically mist one on top of the other until i like it.

The main colors there are sage green and moss green, using more of the sage than the moss.

The visor is done with a coat of flat black, followed by misted layers of Claret Wine until I like it. The Claret Wine has a pinkish color against white/grey, but on the black it looks good.

The mandibles I use flat black as the base, then mist on a bit of navy blue and a bit of hunter green, usually followed by a light mist of black.

For the back, I use hunter green.

The kill stripes I hand paint in with acrylics once it's all dry. Just go to any art supply place and pick up a bottle of one that looks good. There are too many different brands to even try to nail one down.

And when the paint is all done, I seal it with some Testor's Dullcote. I don't have any on hand now, so it isn't in the photo.
    What do you mean by 'seal with testers dullcote'.
    Nov 16, 2015, 2:41 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #84

Quote Lostsaint said: View Post
    I looked for "Hunt Club Green" and I couldn't find it, then I came back to this thread and noticed it does actually say "Hunter Green" in your post.

Do you have a cap top picture so I can try an match to a similar color.

By the way, I picked up the dullcote and here is a pic for anyone interested...
    Attachment 66452
    What's dullcote used for
    Nov 16, 2015, 7:37 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #85

Quote ObitomoFett said: View Post
    What's dullcote used for
    There's a lot of paint on that helmet, some paint has a shiny finish so the dullcoat seals everything in and gives the paint a matte finish

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Nov 16, 2015, 7:40 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #86

dullcote is just a matte finish clear sealant for the paint. I personally don't use it, I just lightly sand the paint to take off shine.

But most people swear by it.
    Nov 16, 2015, 2:01 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #87

Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    dullcote is just a matte finish clear sealant for the paint. I personally don't use it, I just lightly sand the paint to take off shine.

But most people swear by it.
    If I do end up sanding. What kind of grit is best used
    Nov 16, 2015, 2:39 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #88

I use 1000 or 2000 grit and give it just a light sanding to take off the shine.
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    May 12, 2016, 10:58 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #89

I can't get to the link for the pics of the paint cans. It keeps saying page not found.
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    May 12, 2016, 11:17 AM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #90

Quote getrite44 said: View Post
    I can't get to the link for the pics of the paint cans. It keeps saying page not found.
    here i have it saved on my phone. The kill stripes are rustoleum paprika i believe. Ill double check

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    May 12, 2016, 1:20 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #91

Much appreciation sir.
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Jun 28, 2016, 4:12 PM - Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors #92

Great Post Stormtrooperguy. Thank you very much. I was wondering if you could send another link to the photos of your finished helmet for reference?
    The links in the first post appear to be down.
    Thanks much.