Subscribe
    Jan 21, 2008, 5:03 AM - Started My First Bucket Ever!! #1

Well I got a Sgt Fang Bucket and i finally got started. I am going to be doing a ROTJ but I dont airbrush so i need some help with a rattlecan list of colors so i dont have to keep repainting. I also noticed Spidey talk about layered and topical what is the technics and which is better. I believe I know what layed is but what is topical?

here is some pics so far. I havent done to much I was scared to death trimming it. I didnt want to mess this bad boy up. I didnt get as close to the edges as i should but I will be bondoing it and sanding it down since there are some visible cracks on the outer layer upper dome (shown in Pic) and a seam in the back.

Thnx for all the tips i have gotten so far from other Threads.
    Nathan aka Byyynik
    Jan 21, 2008, 7:48 AM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #2

i ever owned Sgt Fang's helmet and seems that those cracks u mentioned are not "crack" at all.

Jan 21, 2008, 8:29 AM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #3

Great to see another RotJ bucket being made. I painted my first RotJ with rattlecans. The color list can be found at the top of the helmet page in the AFFO$ tutorial. Personally, I don't think the red that was chosen for the mandible color is close enough, but it's up to you. To answer your other question, topical means the silver "damage" is painted on top of the main color of the helmet, versus the layered technique where your undercoat of silver shows through. Layered is my method of choice because it looks better up close, but some members prefer topical as it allows for more accurate scratches to be hand-painted.
    Jan 21, 2008, 12:32 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #4

i have a fangs bucket too with all those same imperfections, i ended up painting it rotj as well. i used AFFo$ list as well (found here), and a combination of layered and topical damage. i don't think it turned out too bad.
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:12 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #5

I think those marks are just the seam line from the mould? Good luck with your paintup
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #6

Thnx guys for the help and i will post updated pics when i can. i see the ROTJ is kinda a rare breed so i want to stand out.
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:30 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #7

I was looking at the AFFo$ list of paint and for the ROTJ bucket i noticed the key slots in the back didnt look like they were cut out. is this true or am i just blind. I thought the key slots were cut out.
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:34 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #8

pretty sure they are cut out
  9. Wes is offline Wes
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:58 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #9

The keyslots are cut out.

Make sure you clean the helmet with "Dawn" soap and water before painting. It will minimize any odd defects with spray painting once you start.
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 21, 2008, 10:18 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #10

They are cut out. I can help you with your Fett project if you like, North Las Vegas is only about 30 minutes away.
    Jan 21, 2008, 10:57 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #11

hey andy i moved up off the 215 and flamingo. i would love to get some help. i am gonna cut the key slots tomorrow and start to paint. i have been sanding it on and off today. i still need to find the navy blue krylon and the small bottle paints.
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 22, 2008, 2:12 AM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #12

I live on 515 and Russel. They key slots should be that hard to cut if you have the right dremel tools.

I should have extra of all of the paints too. Even the bottled stuff. What version of the helmet are you doing? ROTJ or ESB?
    Last edited by GCNgamer128; Jan 22, 2008 at 2:19 AM.
    Jan 22, 2008, 2:46 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #13

I am doing the ROTJ bucket and i have all the rattle cans for the project i just need the bottle stuff for the weathering.
    Jan 22, 2008, 10:17 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #14

Well I sanded and started painting today. I am just letting the paint dry on the back of the helmet and thought I should upload some pics. I know this isnt going to be perfect but its my first so I am cherrishing this Bucket.

15. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 22, 2008, 10:41 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #15

If you plan to do it layered, I would have sprayed the entire thing in silver after priming. Also, the resin seems a little too thick around the visor, you could dremel away at it some more so the visor would lay closer to the surface. I keep mine about 1/8" thick.
    Jan 22, 2008, 10:49 PM - Re: Started My First Bucket Ever!! #16

Ok i am gonna do that tomorrow. I just painted the back and i had some dripping so i am gonna resand tomorrow. I am gonna layer but i got ahead of myself and did the blue. I figured since there isnt really any major damage i can topical the blue. i am gonna go silver tomorrow. Any more feedback would be great!