Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 17, 2010, 11:35 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #126

well, if you happen to do a rubber ESB, minus the MPP Flash barrel, I'd be down for one. Cuz I have the MPP flash read and waiting.
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Nov 19, 2010, 3:50 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #127

Just found this and... wow! Very interested in a set. Great job vod'!
    Nov 21, 2010, 11:18 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #128

Sorry it's late, but here is part 1 of the report. So I got home and found this box only a few days after being told it was shipped. I opened it up really not knowing why it was since it was bout shoebox size, if that.

The first thing I noticed was the extra "flash" on all the pieces. Since it was rubber, I knew I could not Dremel it and was worried about how to trim it. Luckily, all you really have to do is peel it off, since the flash is very thin.

The rubber is very spongy for lack of a better word on the raised pad areas. Everywhere else, it feels solid. On the back panel detailing, you can see the intracate details and if you followed past versions, you can see the old side pieces he use to make. This piece is large and should have no problem fitting any 1:1 scale bucket. In the next part of the report, you will see how it fits in a couple of different helmets.

The cheek interiors have soft edges, which allow you to fit perfectly to your bucket. They are combined, but cut even with scissors.

The dome likewise has less defined edges, which helps you better fit it to your bucket the way you want. I was concerned with the thickness of this and it not being thick enough, but had it been alot more thick, it would not fit right. Despite being crammed in the box, this thing had no wear on it. I was worried it would be ripped or creased in shipping, but this stuff is very durable.

The outside of the dome is very lumpy. I guess it really depends on how you plan to adhere it to the inside of you bucket as to if this will interfere with your mounting method. It's not overly lumpy, but it may force you to investigate alternate methods.

This is a good side view of the thickness of the back panel. As you can see from the ribbed edge of the circles, the detail is very fine.

The raised "pads" of the interiors are all the same uniform height. Here is a standard 9V battery for a size comparison. Like I said, they squish in some. In the next part of the report, you'll see how much.

Part two to follow tomorrow.
    Nov 21, 2010, 11:21 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #129

Also, these are slightly resized pictures. If you need super high rez, I have them on flickr as well.

Flickr
    Nov 22, 2010, 1:44 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #130

Good start Thanks.

Couple quick hitters.

The dome doesnt get glued down per-se. It sort of floats, adn should be tacked at most at the edges. Perhaps even thin velcro. Its not so much functional as it covers up the 'fiberglass' texture.

This is a pre-pro kit. The forehead piece isnt the final finish. Its too shiny, but when I get the last piece finished, that will have the same matte finish as the rest of the pieces.

I would like to start a committment thread. In the past, I have done committment threads, but its difficult to know who is actually committed.

Its possible ill take a $20 interest payment if I start get get a lot of committments that fall through; this is one of those projects that the extra material is of no use to me.

Gymb... what size head to you have?

This fits perfectly for me, and I have a standard head. But im thinking about making a thinner piece with less rear padding for bigger heads.

Thanks again.
    m2
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 Hagen_Nor'ak's Avatar
    Nov 23, 2010, 5:10 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #131

Have you figured out a final price yet, or are you still floating around the $150 price range? Either way let me know your PP again so I can put myself on the list .
    Have a good one,
    Hagen
    Nov 23, 2010, 9:43 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #132

Im goin gto keep it at or below 150. I can guarantee it wont go over that shipped in the US.

I would like to get it down, but at this point i have 2 - 3 more molds to make, and am ordering raws.

Im going to order some raws today actually. I want to get this show on the road.
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 Hagen_Nor'ak's Avatar
    Nov 23, 2010, 10:20 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #133

Oh while I'm at it, I got one more question M. The brow/ridgeline boxes here:

Are they going to be as thick as the boxes in this pic:

I found that with your version 2's that browline insert was a little thick and the helmet didn't sit well when worn with the back and front inserts in. So is the new browline thats connected to the T-visor insert going to be the same size as the old inserts (guess I could of asked that to start out with huh)

Have a good one,
    Hagen
    Nov 30, 2010, 11:59 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #134

Yes they are the same thickness. However I made the rear box, that covers the mq1 much thinner. It no longer touches your head at all. Only the 3 points should touch the head now. Rear left right and front.

I think the front needs to be this thick. to give you room for your nose. It would be the backs that would need to be thinner. Thats why i may make anotehr version for larger nogins, but it wont be soon. I also created this to be able to be easily removed. Ill explain soon.

I cant really wait any longer for proper pics and or paintups/writeups, so im going to just do my own.

I have foam and rubber being shipped as I type. I will work on a helmet interior this weekend and they should be able tos tart going out. Im sure half the people that are interested will bail, so I cant know the price for sure, but ill keep it under 150. But if I dont get many orders, and it ends up costing me more time/hassle than its worth, this will be the only run.

I will rub and buff a set tonight, and post some pics.

m2
    Nov 30, 2010, 2:48 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #135

So Sorry for the delays! Life happens sometimes. I will be posting up a new review thread of M2's work tomorrow. Sorry again mate!

NO EXCUSES!
    Last edited by Boomer Fett; Nov 30, 2010 at 3:03 PM.
    Nov 30, 2010, 3:53 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #136

I'm in for a set!

Brad
    Nov 30, 2010, 4:48 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #137

Quote Sentry02 said: View Post
    I'm in for a set!

Brad
    Same. I'm still on!
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 Hagen_Nor'ak's Avatar
    Dec 1, 2010, 2:19 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #138

Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    Yes they are the same thickness. However I made the rear box, that covers the mq1 much thinner. It no longer touches your head at all. Only the 3 points should touch the head now. Rear left right and front.

I think the front needs to be this thick. to give you room for your nose. It would be the backs that would need to be thinner. Thats why i may make anotehr version for larger nogins, but it wont be soon. I also created this to be able to be easily removed. Ill explain soon.
    Glade to hear the back pieces will be thinner this time. As nice as the older back pieces looked, I always had a problem fitting the back pieces for comfort. So I ended up just cutting them up so the helmet would sit correctly.

When do you expect to start taking deposits or payment for the sets (aka when will I have to cut out unnecessaries like eating for a pay period)?
    Oh and when are we going to get a look at the T-visor seal piece?
    Have a good one,
    Hagen
    Dec 1, 2010, 12:47 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #139

Just let me know when the run starts and I'll send in a deposit. It's not everyday a fett helmet interior comes up.
    Dec 2, 2010, 2:05 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #140

The Rest of the Story...

So I properly trimmed up the interiors according to the seam lines using just sewing scissors. I placed them inside my SgtFang bucket (which is suppose to be 1:1). I stripped out my fans and other goodies so this is a nice naked bucket. The front cheeks fit on nicely with a little give to allow alignment. Luckily, the padded parts are a nerf-like rubbery material which allows it flex to conform to the shape of your helmet.

The same goes for the back panel. I have noticed that you must be careful with storing this as your working on it. I folded it in half loosely back in the box as I was working on it. It developed a small tear of separation where one of the raised detail boxes meets the main panel body. It only did this, though, because I folded it inside out. Once I placed it in the helmet, you could not see the tear any more. The back panel is made of the nerf-like material too, so it is nice and soft. The fitting of this panel was a tad bit wide for the SgtFang and was not forming to the shape of the bucket due to the keyslots. Had the slots been more flush (which you could only do by removing the slot panel all together and replacing it), then the edges of the panel would not extend over the tips of the T-Visor.com visor. It is a very minor issue though and could likely be fixed with minor trimming. I chose not to mod these interior so you can get the full out of the box experience.

The dome fits perfectly into the SgtFang with only a small amout of overlap on the back panel, which is a good thing in providing total coverage. The only shame in this is two of the outlying greebes on the dome are hidden slightly. The front pad does not fit as smoothly, but this was mostly due to me not permanently mounting this interior.

To do a temporary mounting, I tried to use Gorilla Tape to just let me see how it worked. That tape which works on basically anything would not even hold it's own weight. This is due to the releasing grease on the interiors. I HIGHLY suggest those of you who purchase this wash it good. I used warm water and dish soap. Once it air dried, I had not problems with the interiors. Just make sure you let it air dry (do not rush it with heat), since the material is spongy.

I then did a test fit and that is where my experience with this interior leaves me personally very sad. I had the dome & back panel on only and tried to put the helmet on. I could only get it halfway on. The greeb box in the middle covering the keyslots inside area prevented me from wearing this bad boy. I imagine it would be very comfortable, as the dome was thin, but despite my initial worries over lack of padding, it's pretty comfortable. The front padding is likewise very comfortable and giving.
    I do not want to discourage people from buying this. I do have a larger head. I wear a 7 5/8 hat size (which is pretty big) and admittedly, my SgtFang is almost too snug. I imagine that it you can comfortably wear a Jango two piece or have room in your 1:1 that you would be good.

I also own a M-DSB Assassin (a custom style helmet maker from Merc land). My version is XL, so it has plenty of room. However, the dome does not line up properly at all due to the helmet's unique shape. The backpanel and front padding do fit, though. So those of you with other helmets not trying for a 1:1 Fett could still use this fine interior.

The last step for me in this process was to try out rub and buff on the panel. It obviously worked extremely well. I did not try painting as weather has not been permitting me to do so. I did test out trimming with primer, Paint and airbrushing with good results. I would highly suggest rub and buff, along with fine airbrushing. You can easily do a fast, simple rub and buff coat, not worrying about the cracks and gaps. this adds to the illusion of depth and works like drybrushing.

In the end, even though I cannot wear this with my Boba (which was the point), I would still use this to turn a spare 1:1 into a full sized "model kit" similar to the mini Riddell helmet. I know not everyone troops, so if you are looking for a fantastic display prop, I would make this your second purchase - right after your 1:1 bucket!
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Dec 2, 2010, 8:13 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #141

Any chance of doing a quick shoot of how it looks in the Assasin? I have an XL one of these and an XL Merc coming...
    Dec 2, 2010, 11:43 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #142

Sure:

I can take pictures of the dome, but it doesn't remotely fit. Pics of that to follow this afternoon.
  18. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Dec 3, 2010, 8:07 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #143

Thanks.. What about the cheeks and the forehead piece.. I realize that the visor part won't work on the Assasin.. (maybe on the Merc though?)...
    also, with the dome... does it look like you could cut the dome a little to make it fit in the Assasin?
    Dec 3, 2010, 12:38 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #144

The cheeks are totally incompatible, as they are the traditional rounded, whereas the Assassin is angular. The dome would likely need cut vertically the may be make it line up. I guess another solution would be to get an exacto knife and cutout the greebs on the cheeks and dome and glue those to the inside of the bucket. That way you have interiors and basically a mega greeb grab bag.

The forehead piece can work in any bucket really. Almost the same with the back panel. It's just a matter of possibly trimming off chunks and not keeping it as one solid piece.
    Dec 8, 2010, 8:31 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #145

If the front and rear paddings were 'shorter' for lack of a better term would it then fit your melon?

I have had people trim around the padding pieces and then take them ot when they troop and put them back in for display (in their rooms).

In a MR standard helmet, it fits on my head with the padding in. In a SG fang it does not. You lose about an inch of room, on a resin poured helmet. as its 3x as thick.

Also to note would be there are 'mounting' holes in the rear piece, and i have rubber stndoffs that go through them, to clip it into the helmet. THis allows for the piece to not need to be glued down.

Thanks for doing this.

m2
    Dec 17, 2010, 1:25 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #146

The issue on the long pads could help, but for me the real problem is how on the keyslots on the SGTFang dip inot the bucket quiet a bit. If I were ambitious, I would cut out the center section of the back panel of the interior and use the rest. Then I could simply add whatever I could from that center to make it look interesting. The fantastic thing about this interior set is no matter what bucket you have, you can take an xacto and cut out pieces (basically turning it into modular sections) and use the ones you can.

I'm glad you mentioned the standoffs. I assumed they were from the molding and just snipped them off.
    Dec 29, 2010, 1:42 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #147

Thanks for taking the time. I am soooo busy with rl i have about 4 sets of these 'protos' and no final pulls. Im going to ffer them up to about 100 to people that want to get started, while I find time to do the rest of the project.

Yes, i understand wabout the keyslots in back. I actually never put a MQ1 in my helmets, as it is too much space.

Ideally molding the MQ1 into the back of the foam, would be the best thing right?

So you could see throughslots, and the foam would be the chip.
    Dec 29, 2010, 3:43 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #148

PM sent on remaining 4 sets.
  24. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Dec 30, 2010, 2:15 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #149

These look amazing and i will definitely be interested in a set when you do your production run.
    Dec 30, 2010, 3:56 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #150

Are the inserts made of Smooth-On's semi-rigid urethane (Task series/C1515)?
    In order to get a good bond with adhesives or paint, I suggest scrubbing the parts with denatured alcohol (3-4 times allowing a few hours between scrubbings) Then spray with Bull Dog adhesion promotor. This product is awesome when painting urethanes.
    Last edited by Dahone; Dec 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM.