Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 3, 2010, 10:22 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #101

Is it weird that my BM lid talked to me and told me what he wants for Christmas was one of these??? Just asking...
    Oct 3, 2010, 12:17 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #102

Sounds good to me, man. Luckily for you, I do have a good lighting system!
    Oct 3, 2010, 3:01 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #103

Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    Im thinking about making a helmet stand that either sets it at an angle where the visor points almost straight up, so you can see in, or at a 45, with a mirror under it. Im looking for mirrors now.

EDIT:

Ok, so what about a helmet stand that was say, a fett gauntlet and hand. Or maybe han in carbonite hand. If no, what about a helmet stand, that held the helmet up, and had a mirror placed at 45 degrees under it, to reflect the inside. Who would be interested in a custom helmet stand?
    I'm working on an interior for a TIE bucket and I'm going to do the angled mirror. Would look alot better than tilting the bucket plus add a bit of class. Personally I'd stay away from making the stand too fancy. It would be cool to have a gauntlet but in the end you want to showcase the helmet not the stand.
    Oct 4, 2010, 9:08 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #104

Very good point Tommy. Thanks.

Boomer: Lucky for you, I already owe you one

Gym: PM replied.
    Oct 5, 2010, 2:26 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #105

Quick update, this is what im planning. Its a try ane err adventure, because it needs to fit.

This goes under the cheek pieces, but stays on top up top. This completes the liner. The only thing left is the parts along the ears between cheeks and rear pieces. I didnt fill it perfectly becaue all helmets are different sizes. So ill need to make fillers.

Its raw, but I usually start like this to give myself an idea of what angles I want to do.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 Hagen_Nor'ak's Avatar
    Oct 5, 2010, 5:14 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #106

How did I miss that you had new interiors in the works for so long. You can go ahead and put me down as intrested, I can't let the previous versions be with out the new addition to the family. Great work as always though Stormrider. Oh and I got a camera... but I don't think I'd pass the un-biased part. The review would probably just turn out to be "Why haven't you bought one yet and no you can't have mine "

Have a good one,
    Hagen
    Oct 6, 2010, 8:12 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #107

Please count me in for one of these sets.
    Oct 6, 2010, 11:52 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #108

Progress is looking as nice as ever. As someone extremely pleased with his HIC cast from you, I'm greatly looking forward to these.
  9. Oct 22, 2010, 9:03 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #109

Any more updates on this?
    Oct 24, 2010, 6:16 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #110

Would love to have one as well, count me in.
  11. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Oct 26, 2010, 7:00 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #111

So are we thinking the GMH will be able to use this as well? Chris was saying its a little smaller
    Oct 26, 2010, 10:50 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #112

I made the rear to be a little shorter (smallr) so it comes to about half an inch on each ear piece. Just for smaller helmets.

I can maybe send a spare to chris ask him to see how close it fits.

I sent one set out to boomer, and have another about ready to go out (pre-pros) to get some feedback.
    Oct 26, 2010, 11:24 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #113

Awesome!
    Nov 2, 2010, 6:58 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #114

stormrider since I'm hoping to have a GMH can you add me to the list for when you start shipping these. I can send the $150 whenever things are ready... I also have a rather larger grape so I'm hoping everything fits pretty well... I wear a size 7 3/4 cap...
    Nov 3, 2010, 8:54 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #115

With the GMH being smaller, and a big head, will be tight. However, im hoping to show the mounting system I came up with soon, which will allow people to remove these very easily while wearing

Boomer has the first set, im hoping he posts soon of his impressions.

Gymb... I have everything ready to ship excep ta front padding. Im out of foam, when it gets here and I pull the front, it will be out the door.
    m2
    Nov 3, 2010, 11:52 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #116

This looks really great Mike!
    Nov 3, 2010, 7:18 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #117

I'll work with it... Thanks...
  18. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Nov 4, 2010, 3:36 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #118

Definately interested in this... just need to decide on a bucket...
    Nov 9, 2010, 11:55 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #119

Demo kit shipped to Gymbeau2000. One already in Boomers hands. On their approval, these will start going out next week.
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 9, 2010, 12:08 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #120

Im kinda excited....now to convince the wife to let me buy it...
    Nov 14, 2010, 10:17 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #121

It appears Gymbeau has received his pre-pro kit. So we should be able to get some feedback soon.

Lets all hope its not 'these suxxors'.
    Nov 15, 2010, 11:42 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #122

Got the kit as mentioned and can I just say, "WOW!" I have been taking lots of pictures of my own, trial fits in various helmets and paint tests. I should have a nice thoughrouh post on Friday. I live in Washington state, so it's not "painting season", so I am taking my time doing stuff indoors.

I can say that this material is very light and soft, with the appearance of being firm. So far looks very sturdy. Excess material on the edges from molding is very thin and basically peels off for the most part. The padding spots (raised rectangles) are very soft and look like they will be good for actual wear for trooping. After I submit my report on Friday, I am going to troop it on Saturday in my Fett and give a usefulness report that night.

The only improvement I would ask so far is perhaps a thicker dome part. It's thin, but not to the point of being flimsy. Maybe I am just use to my MICH pad in the top of my bucket. This is just a first impression of it though, so I will hold off full judgment until Saturday's troop.
    Nov 16, 2010, 12:53 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #123

OK I hate to throw anything too extreme into the mix here that may hold up production on either the GMH helmet (which I don't think this would) or the Stormrider liner (which this idea might possibly)....but today I had this wild idea concerning the MQ-1 circuit board. It seems to me that with the GMH helmet having a cutout for the microswitch, that more people will choose to go that route instead of the mercury switch. So here is my idea...
    What is the possibility of someone creating a circuit board that looked a dead ringer for the MQ-1, but on the inside (meaning the side facing the interior of the helmet here) it was a functional circuit board that would control the RF LEDs. Then, once the Stormrider interior was installed, it had a spot for a battery in it, and channels behind it for the wires to run to the microswitch. In doing this, you would only have to run the wires from the switch up to the RF LEDs. The functional side of the circuit board would be concealed by the liner, as would the wires. The non-functional side of the board would be able to be painted without affecting the functionality. The pressure switch would be used, which is more accurate. The battery would be easily replaceable (possibly run near one of the head pads in the liner, and using two 1.5V watch batteries in order to keep it small. The Rubie's helmet LEDs run off of this). Then, we get the best of all sides - the GMH being the closest thing to an ILM helmet, the Stormrider interior looking absolutely amazing, and the pressure switch being used.
    So here is the one problem that I know everyone will probably ask me - why don't I create it? The answer is I know enough about circuitry to know that this could work, but not how to make it work or build the parts. Anyone willing to give it a go is more than welcome to take this idea and run with it. I'm just throwing it out there as a brainstorm.
    Nov 16, 2010, 11:01 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #124

Don't wanna derail too much here, but Stormrider, are you still doin rubber ESB Webleys?
    Nov 17, 2010, 9:39 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #125

Gilmore: I have done a rubber one or two, and im thinking about doing a full ROTJ and ESB rubber webley, if I can find people interested. The problem with rubber is it has to come out perfect because theres no filling it.

Steven: I have done rubber Mq1's but ill not likely be doing a real board, or changing the interiors much. They are ahowever foam, so they can be 'cored' or 'carved out' to have things inside them.

Gym: The idea with the helmet is that the biggest variation on peoples heads is the height from eyes, to top of skull. Including but not limited to amount of hair. What I personally do is put a small piece of foam that is a certain thickness that sits basically on top my head. Thats what i use for padding on the very top.

I dont personally glue the top in. it can be just put in for display. When I get the gasket for front in, the seam should be fully hidden.

More later! And thanks for all the interest.

M2