Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 7, 2010, 6:37 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #26

you know the big headed guys he referenced...Im one of them...well at least big nosed. That being said it may not work at all...But My FP might just be sitting since my MSH1 is probably larger. I havent even gotten to see my FP since its 1800 miles away at home maybe if the price is right Ill pick one of these up
    May 7, 2010, 7:18 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #27

The key on these, is im going to make a 'lock in system'. So parts could be removed. The key pressure points will be the FOREHEAD and the rear. The forehead will force it away. I could make a 'smaller cushion' system also. That allowed it to facilitate larger heads.

Im also going to make a rubberized gasket enclosure for under the helmet, around the neck so kids cant see whos in the helmet. If you think about it, kids are looking up at a sweating chin constantly.

The locking system will be mushroom plastic or hard rubber knobs that get glued in, and the liner will snap out. I know a lot of people like to have their helmet on display, and imagine peoples surprise when they look in it, and its fully functionalish.
  3. FettDad is offline FettDad
    May 7, 2010, 7:41 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #28

fantastic work as usual, brother!
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 7, 2010, 9:34 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #29

cant wait to see it all done
    May 7, 2010, 10:58 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #30

oh man, I just found this thread...too cool! My wife is going to kill me if I spend any more money on my Fett, but I really really want one. She'll get over it Can't wait for more on this. Keep up the awesome work!
    May 9, 2010, 12:43 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #31

I did a test pour with solid soft rubber today, so I can test fit it in the helmet. its decent. only problem is the thin spots in the center, are really thin. I need to come up with a spacing system for it.

Im going to let it fully cure, then mount it in a helmet today, so we can get a FIRST IMPRESSION of how its coming together, and then ill start making the visor and cheeks!!

Need to let the crubber cure quite a long time, due to the fact that it is so thin, it uses heat to cure. so ill bake it at 200, and then take it out, and fully cool it, then remove it from the mold. Then mount.
  7. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 9, 2010, 1:00 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #32

waiting patiently...dont think Ill be getting anything else for my fett for a while after my recent purchases though but who knows
    May 9, 2010, 3:28 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #33

Ok test fit the right side. Not glued down and the 'white rubber' was a failure, so im going back to black. the white dye makes the rubber too brittle and it tears easily. going to pour a black one now.
    May 9, 2010, 8:03 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #34

On test fit of the full rear. My black dye is no good, so there some discoloring, but its a good pull and it fits well, so now I can work on the cheeks and the front!

Input?

May 9, 2010, 8:06 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #35

Man that was fast. I just saw the white one refreshed with the new post button and saw this one. Looks great. Do you think this will fit a FPH as well?
    May 9, 2010, 8:10 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #36

I think the FPH is a bit bigger.

The jist of it is, the parts will all fit, you may have to cut along the center rear piece, and the ear piece, and put it in as 3 pieces. Im purposely allowing for some spacing concerns, spots that can but cut out, or spread apart to accomodate as many helmets as possible, however the kit should fit the MR and thus the new FP helmet exactly. I laid it in my mr. It fit identically.

Im going tow ork on the cheeks this week, and the forehead. Once those are done, the roundd dome pieces will be the most difficult as they will have to be shaped and cut like papakura in order to 'fit' around th dome.
    May 15, 2010, 11:29 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #37

Ok, i worked out the inside mandibles.

I didnt document the first, so as I make the second to match, ill do a quick hitter tutorial on it. As this is one of the more difficult parts.

First I drape a hot piece of polystyrene over the inside cheek. It gives me a nice piece that will lay nicely inside the mandible. I use my belt sander to shape it. It looks like this marvelous piece of plastic when its done.

The plastic doesnt drape well, so I then place a piece of sintra cut to match the center flat spot. And glue it down. I did not cut out the detail parts first (I know you were wondering why) because it would be to brittle and it would not glue down and keep the shape perfect.

The third step is mans best friend, bondo, well maybe second best, behind duct tape. Ill bondo this once, sand then again, sand and it should be nice and smooth. Then I will drill the ends of the detail pieces, and use a sharp knife to connect the edges. I was careful NOT to glue it down, where I knew I would be taking out details. Just to make it easier on myself.

More later today!
    May 15, 2010, 11:40 AM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #38

Looking awesome. I really would love to throw this into my asok jango. Do you have any idea if that may be possibly; not sure if you have had any experience with his buckets.
    May 15, 2010, 12:21 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #39

WOW these are just great keep up the good work SR.
    May 15, 2010, 1:17 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #40

Delta: They should fit into any bucket. But they may need to be cut . Ill show you what i mean later in a pic. I creatd them to just fit in the FP helmet, however, im spacing the pieces, so they can be cut to add or remove a little material, and fit in just about any helmet.

Thanks deadland.

This is the new piece after sanding and painting, and gluing on a greeb or two. I decided to make it non symetrical, since the helmet has diffrent hings on the cheeks.

Again, im trying NOT to make them as detailed as my first run. I think, while cool, my first pieces, were a bit TOO detailed for 1977 starwars.

Input is welcome.
    Last edited by Stormrider; May 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM.
    May 15, 2010, 1:50 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #41

And in the helmet
  17. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 15, 2010, 1:58 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #42

most impressive...your doing another piece over the brow right?
    May 15, 2010, 2:17 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #43

Yes, a piece in the brow, a gasket to go all the way around the T visor, and a top dome piece.

Im about half done. This is an AMAZING amount of work. I underestimated it for sure
  19. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 15, 2010, 2:34 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #44

what kind of price point you looking at with this? Might be worth getting and having it displayed instead of the outside of the helmet its so detailed
    May 15, 2010, 2:41 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #45

This is looking amazing! Keep up the great work, I cannot wait till they are done!
    May 15, 2010, 3:13 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #46

The old helmet kits were 85 shipped. These are about triple the parts, but theres no way I would charge that much.

Im looking at 100-150 shipped, depending on how many people want them. If I can buy the materials in large quantities I can reduce the price significantly. But the materials go bad, especially foam. You have a month or two window tops once you open it, or it loses its supple textures.

Ill likely sell the kit to anyone that has my previous kit, at a discount also.

I personally think the price is a little high, however I can honestly say ive got 100 hours into it, ill have another 100 into it before im done, and I will probably have 1k in materials, by the time I make all the molds, the prototype plastic pieces I have had to pour, and grind up etc. So Ill likely not break even. But this is the most fun I have had doing a project yet. So its worth it.
    May 15, 2010, 5:04 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #47

I would easily pay $150 for a set like that. The amount of time and effort really shows, and I hope that others would agree that a higher price tag is worth it for such an outstanding investment
    May 18, 2010, 1:53 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #48

Quote Sachiel9 said: View Post
    I would easily pay $150 for a set like that. The amount of time and effort really shows, and I hope that others would agree that a higher price tag is worth it for such an outstanding investment
    Agreed, either of those amounts are no issue when compared to the amount of work. I'm very excited about this interior for my MR!
    May 18, 2010, 2:55 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #49

I have a pic of it laid in the MR. It fits perfectly, however, youll spend some time getting the foam liner out. it is a pain. But worth it. Im designing the parts with both helmets in mid at almost every step.

The helmets are virtually identical, the MR is just thicker. Chris (FP) is beter at fiberglass than anyone they could afford to hire

Im doing the dome tonight. Im very excited. Its coming along nicely. I had to crete a mold of the inside dome, then I made a faux dome out of expandable foam. Tonight ill work on laying out the components, and then im out of town for a few days. When I return, ill sculpt, bondo, etc the model, then cut it up to make a mold of it.

Pics soon
    May 18, 2010, 2:58 PM - Re: SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress #50

As a side note, im going to start an interest list. When the list hits 10-20 (wishfull thinking!) ill draw a name. That person gets to be my reviewer.

Said person needs to be able to:
    Be un-biased
    have a camera
    have basic model skills
    have good communication skills.

Ill send that person the first interior set for review. They can install it, and give a review of what they think of it, the difficulty installing etc.

The piece looks MUCH better in person than it does in pictures. And I like to get a second opinion before I start shipping them. So I can make any necessary changes up front

Thanks again for everyons patience and interest.