Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 30, 2005, 9:56 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #76

Oh.. And I'm sorry it took me 3 post to mention this, but... That rangefinder is the coolest thing I've seen in months.
    Oct 1, 2005, 12:13 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #77

Quote SingleSeatForever said:
    I hear you D/Mule, I just don't have much experience with resin. Maybe Nutcore, Marrow Sun, or Bounty's Hunted would be the home of experience with that option -- and a wealth of experience there is. Ehh, better yet, just go ask a Canadian, they all seem to know more than we do
    I don't know if all Canadian's know better but there is definatly alot of talent per capita here on the TDH.

It is very easy to cast up the little clear insert, but the tricky part is taking out the bubbles, something I've never been too concerned over. The 2 things that could to be done are; 1)evacuate the air from the resin using a vacuum chamber 2) agitate the mold with vibration to free the bubbles to the surface.

If you want to try to make a mold feel free to PM me for more details on casting.
    Oct 1, 2005, 4:07 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #78

You..you sir have amazing talent! I could never do anything As detailed and excellent as this! You must be so proud of your RF its the most advanced out there!.....I think you should name it :o

lol great work

Oct 1, 2005, 6:27 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #79

ever heard about overkill?? ow wait... that's not a word in the Fett dictionary

awesome!
  5. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Oct 1, 2005, 2:00 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #80

Quote Spideyfett said:
    SingleSeat...:thumbup :thumbup ...
    Just want to say this is one of the best Threads on this Board...

We are very lucky to have you...
    Woa, thanks Spidey, and thanks to all for the enthusiasm and commentary. And thanks Marrow for jumping in with expert info! bailey's b, you blew your first post on me, I'm flattered. I hope this helps everyone make a great Fett! More updates are coming folks...
    Last edited by SingleSeat; Oct 11, 2006 at 8:53 AM.
  6. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Oct 1, 2005, 2:05 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #81

...And a separate post for Darth Mule since he likes posting a lot Thanks. We really should explore all possibilities to making this suit a reality.
    Oct 28, 2005, 5:41 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #82

holy crap you beat me to it, althought you hit some topics i hadnt even thought of, like using the clear acylic 1" sheet.. i was just going to use a lense.. but i think your way will show better.... DRAT ON YOU! but thanks for the tutorial its going to make everything a bunch easier. oh well.. long as no one beats me to my metroid costume idea i wont be tooo dissapointed and depressed.
    Oct 28, 2005, 6:06 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #83

This a great thread thank you for sharing your adventure. Any chance you will be able to post drawings for the body of the rangefinder?

Alan
    Oct 28, 2005, 7:51 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #84

Anyone else think this thread needs a "sticky"??!!!
    Wowza. :thumbup
    Last edited by Saturniid19; Oct 28, 2005 at 8:03 PM.
    Oct 28, 2005, 7:53 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #85

this thing needs a sticky, a massive icon and a "WOW" button. lol.
  11. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Oct 28, 2005, 10:13 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #86

Hold tight Fett's. Things are heating up in real life so I haven't been around here as much as I'd like, and the drafts are still hanging. In the mean time, I would encourage everyone out there to tear into this project on their own...it's not like my word is the RF gospel. I have full confidence in you to complete this...and we're all counting on you.
  12. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Nov 8, 2005, 9:16 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #87

Last but not least….the final diagram.
    Each piece is labeled with a letter to indicate order of assembly. The final piece “G” has no solid dimensions associated with it since this piece will most likely have to be cut to fit (start over-sized, then work your way down with it) from any minute errors that accumulate. The next to last part, “F,” which is the outside wall, is also a part that may take some refinement. Expect the front wall, “C” to cant inwards and contact the clear part. Depending on how your work turns out, “C” may require an additional shim of .030” styrene on the inside to make a good fit along the whole length along the clear part. However, a big point I’d like to make is that on so many resin RF’s I see out there, the line I’ve highlighted below is a blocky vertical line (perpendicular to the horizon). From my reference material, this is not the case so you can see the associated angles in the diagram. Also, sealing and sanding this side takes great care so as not to turn it into a vertical line by accident. In parenthesis are the sheet thicknesses, but remember to go to a thinner sheet on “E” if going ROTJ style. As always, these dimensions are just a guess and I hope they’re close…if anything they should work well with a Mystery scaled helmet.

One last lesson. If you are considering building this thing and casting it…good luck…that goes against the whole design and you’ll probably have to glue the clear part in and sacrifice a lot of accuracy as well as functionality. Besides, it’s not that hard…

Good luck Fetts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RFbody.jpg 
Views:	1855 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	6748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageRF353.jpg 
Views:	1806 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	6749  
    Last edited by SingleSeat; Nov 8, 2005 at 9:33 PM.
  13. Nov 8, 2005, 10:49 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #88

This is so awesome. I'm going to try my hand at crafting one for my ARC Trooper Helmet. Thanks for such a great tutorial SingleSeat.
  14. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Nov 9, 2005, 7:01 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #89

My pleasure Judge. Great idea, I haven't thought of that one. Go with your bad self!
    Nov 29, 2005, 4:32 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #90

That is simply amazing. The amount of creativity clearly shows the passion for detail you posses.

I don't have my Jango Ref cd as yet( and will be taking a close look).. but was also wondering as another poster did .. is this applicable to Jango?
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Nov 29, 2005, 4:51 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #91

I agree, this thread definately needs a sticky.
    Dec 6, 2005, 11:26 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #92

Sweet!

Where does one get a block of acrylic??
  18. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Dec 7, 2005, 2:24 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #93

Thanks again for the words folks! I'm not sure what "sticky" criteria is, maybe the mods could weigh in. You can get said acrylic from a plastics supply company. I've seen many online, but if you can, I'd stay local to be sure you know what you're getting. If anyone's tried this yet, I'd love to see the pics! Post 'em baby!
    Dec 7, 2005, 3:33 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #94

DUDE THIS THREAD HAS BEEN UPDATED! WHERE HAVE I BEEN!?

Everything looks like you reached in and yanked off Fett's RF!

If you wanted to get a clearer finish on the acrylic before it was assembled, the edges of a product like that can sometimes be slightly heated with a blowtorch (butane) and it causes any abbrasions, scratches or ships from cutting to be evened-out and given a clear look. (I have done this myself with lexan used for shelving)
    Dec 7, 2005, 8:48 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #95

Very sweet indeed...Thanks for the Tutorial. Your work is awesome.
    Dec 7, 2005, 9:07 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #96

There's something in this thread where every time that I enter it,it locks up my Norton Internet security and says that something is trying to illegally access my computer

It started about a month ago. Anyone have an idea of why or are they having the same problem??

I can access the thread,but the security program will lock out TDH for the next 30 minutes unless I turn it off....that is how I can post in this now.

Sorry to post this,but just wondered if anyone is having any issues.

Every other thread in TDH is fine.

Steve
  22. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Dec 7, 2005, 9:34 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #97

DL,

I run into threads like that every now and then. This one doesn't lock up my NIS though.

No clue what causes it.
    Jan 15, 2006, 3:31 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #98

Excellent attention to detail guys!!

WOW!!
  24. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Jan 15, 2006, 1:54 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #99

Thanks, but there's only one of me
    Jan 17, 2006, 2:23 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #100

hey SSforever, i gotta say that is amazing! I would like to try following your tutorial, however where does one get a slab of cast acrylic? i think i can get everything else except that.