Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 17, 2005, 11:52 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #51

Whoa. This is incredible. Your degree has to be in Engineering or something isn't it? BTW, where are you stationed? If you say Eglin I'm gonna faint.
  2. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Sep 18, 2005, 1:55 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #52

nice...any jango RFs for sale?
    Sep 18, 2005, 3:59 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #53

You've dfinitely set the standard by which all other RF's will now be judged. Managing to get a movie accurate design together with flashing LEDs... stunning. Thanks for sharing your hard work with us.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 Gonzo Fett's Avatar
    Sep 18, 2005, 1:06 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #54

wow this is really cool..I wonder if my briot lens cutter could cut out a lens that small....either way you did a great job cutting it by hand! Wow...most impressive. Talk about raising the bar!

good job!
  5. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 18, 2005, 4:26 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #55

Almost wrapping up here ! The clear part has a tiny groove cut into one end of it’s inside wall that serves to “click” into part of the steel bracket that is just barely too big – it wants to bite into the clear part. But with the groove, it just pops into place! I used the smallest Exacto saw blade for this cut (see hobby store – it’s a blade about 4.5” long). It’s not so easy to get this groove in the pictures so I showed where it is with dotted lines. It’s not very deep, maybe enough to catch your fingernail to know that it’s there, but not much more. No glue is required since the clear part is under too much pressure to go anywhere, and the welded and expoxied RF isn’t going anywhere either. To assemble the whole thing (such as after changing the batteries),
    1) Insert the Hyperdyne kit.
    2) Slide the RF body onto the steel bracket.
    3) Insert the clear part, narrow end first into the RF. Set the larger end of the clear part into the RF until it clicks into the setting groove. Make any adjustment necessary to the narrow end of the clear part to make it level.

There you have it. Ready to get good ranging on any pesky YT-1300 that tries to run! Simple as that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageRF6231.jpg 
Views:	2165 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	5488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageRF61232.jpg 
Views:	2133 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	5489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageRF3323.jpg 
Views:	2214 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	5490  

Last edited by SingleSeat; Sep 18, 2005 at 7:05 PM.
  6. Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Sep 18, 2005, 10:25 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #56

You are the RF pimp. :thumbup
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Sep 19, 2005, 2:12 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #57

Wow, fantastic work!

BTW, if you make plans or even do a run I can modify my RF board to custom fit inside your RF dims. I can move those components around no problem as shown in your pics!

Thanks again for the inspirational work...
  8. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 19, 2005, 5:16 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #58

Quote Bleahhh said:
    nice...any jango RFs for sale?
    Nothin's for sale just yet, but maybe later ...I've gotta sort out some admin details and timing issues so keep hope alive. As for Jango, that depends if anyone has any hi-res Jango rangefinder reference material I could use to see if this is do-able. -edit- was a huge Boba fan standing in line in 1980, so you can see why I don't have any Jango pics
    Last edited by SingleSeat; Sep 19, 2005 at 8:02 PM.
    Sep 20, 2005, 1:44 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #59

That is one impressive rangefinder !!!
  10. Sep 20, 2005, 4:55 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #60

Great job!
  11. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 22, 2005, 9:44 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #61

Real quick, here's my design for the "window frame."

Name:	RFwindow.jpg 
Views:	2117 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	5661  
    Last edited by SingleSeat; Sep 23, 2005 at 2:20 PM. Reason: diagram error
    Sep 23, 2005, 8:45 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #62

Unreal. I can't imagine what your suit is going to look like if you've spent this much time on such a small part of it. You're work is truly impressive.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Sep 23, 2005, 9:32 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #63

Truly stunning work my man. I painted up my rf, put the scratches on it, and was generally happy with it until I saw your work. I'll never look at my rf the same now.
    Great job! I have "rf" envy! :P
    Sep 23, 2005, 12:17 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #64

Quote slave1driver said:
    Truly stunning work my man. I painted up my rf, put the scratches on it, and was generally happy with it until I saw your work. I'll never look at my rf the same now.
    Great job! I have "rf" envy! :P
    Haha yeah me too, I thought I was all cool because i recast a DP RF in clear resin, but now I might as well throw it out cuz im gonna attemp to build one of these puppies. Thanx single!
  15. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 23, 2005, 2:18 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #65

oops, I had to re-post the correct "window frame" diagram above. If you're looking, get this updated picture. The notches were made with the dremel cutting wheel -very carefully-
  16. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 29, 2005, 9:22 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #66

Hold on Nutcore, more diagrams are coming…

Sorry for the break everyone, and thanks for all the support! Ok, I’m no draftsman, but I hope this gives everyone a start on the clear plastic part. As with any dimensions I provide, they’re all pretty flexible since we’re not dealing with tolerances on the space shuttle or anything. Band saws, table saws, they’re not precision cutting tools. Allow plenty of room to “sneak up” on the right dimensions. Make the dimensions work for you…each one of these RFs quickly turns into a one-off custom part. The disc sander allows a lot of guess work to become perfection. Don’t try to make the perfect cut the first time. Go slowly. A pencil line can always be erased from either the plastic or the contact paper.

Which ever part you choose to make, remember how it’s going to fit into the RF. The ESB part mounts proudly in the RF while the ROTJ part is tucked somewhat. Notice the ROTJ version vertex is just barely inside the RF's underside curve. Reference, reference, reference! If you combine the Hyperdyne kit and the ROTJ clear version, you’ll have to make your own guess as to making the inside[back] cuts since I haven’t made a Jedi version with the Hyperdyne kit yet. Yet don’t anticipate a loose fit for anything…that’s the whole idea, it’s supposed to be tight.

Even if you had this kind of part machined by a custom plastics company, not only might it become very pricey, but I think you might lose some of the finish from hand sanding that makes this piece so believable.

If you do attempt this project, feel free to PM me with questions. It took a lot of experimenting to get this far...I’ve gone through all the R&D so you don’t have to.

Name:	BF(Rangefinder)ESB1.jpg 
Views:	2093 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	5806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF(Rangefinder)ROTJ.jpg 
Views:	2103 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	5807  
    Sep 29, 2005, 10:28 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #67

Wow and Holy Cow! I'm just trying to digest such level of detail AND the fact that you took time to do a tutorial!
    That's so cool it's making my tummy hurt.
    Sep 29, 2005, 10:38 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #68

HOLY COW.. That is amazing!!!! Just totally amazing.. I mean crazy amazing.. This has to be one of the best threads in a long time.!!!

.. did I mention it was amazing?
    Sep 29, 2005, 11:08 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #69

I wonder if the bottom piece would look good cast in clear resin. Just a thought
    Sep 30, 2005, 12:04 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #70

Thanx so much for posting those CADs dude, I'm def gonna get to work on this, so freakin cool.
  21. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 30, 2005, 7:59 AM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #71

Quote Darth Mule said:
    I wonder if the bottom piece would look good cast in clear resin. Just a thought

I hear you D/Mule, I just don't have much experience with resin. Maybe Nutcore, Marrow Sun, or Bounty's Hunted would be the home of experience with that option -- and a wealth of experience there is. Ehh, better yet, just go ask a Canadian, they all seem to know more than we do
    Sep 30, 2005, 12:23 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #72

Quote SingleSeatForever said:
    I hear you D/Mule, I just don't have much experience with resin. Maybe Nutcore, Marrow Sun, or Bounty's Hunted would be the home of experience with that option -- and a wealth of experience there is. Ehh, better yet, just go ask a Canadian, they all seem to know more than we do
    I think the pre-casted clear acrylic slab is a much better option, its looks pretty much the same as the screen version, clear resin as I found out and as I've been told by many members is basically impossible to cast without getting airbubbles, unless working in a professional enviorment with respective equipment. Besides the screen version isnt crystal clear anyway, it almost looks exactly like sss.
  23. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Sep 30, 2005, 8:56 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #73

SingleSeat...:thumbup :thumbup ...
    Just want to say this is one of the best Threads on this Board...

We are very lucky to have you...
  24. Sep 30, 2005, 9:23 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #74

god if only i had the paitence to do all of this, my hats off to you my friend
    Sep 30, 2005, 9:53 PM - Re: SingleSeat's Rangefinder (Scratch-built) *pics* #75

I'm not convinced that the two methods would look much different. I do have a bit of experience with resin-casting. And yes it's difficult to get them bubble free without a vacuum chamber... You can sometimes get one with the microwave. Heat up the mold before pouring. For some reason the heat decreases the chances of bubbling.

Quote Nutcore said:
    I think the pre-casted clear acrylic slab is a much better option, its looks pretty much the same as the screen version, clear resin as I found out and as I've been told by many members is basically impossible to cast without getting airbubbles, unless working in a professional enviorment with respective equipment. Besides the screen version isnt crystal clear anyway, it almost looks exactly like sss.