With the failure of my first attempt due to overexcitement and misprinted templates my personal costs are well over $100 up to this point. But, I figured I would track my spending on this try so anyone who wants to attempt it can see how much it would cost if everything goes right.
36 X 36 aluminum sheet metal: $21.43
3M Adhesive Aerosol: $4.56
JB weld $3.85
Resin Earpiece and antenna: $20.00
Rafal Works Helmet V2 Template
I am using Rafal's templates this time around and he suggests using 2mm thick cardboard. the aluminum sheet metal i picked up is roughly .8 mm so I decided that I would glue multiple sheets together to form the helmet liner.
Instead of sanding the sheets and using epoxy to bind them together I went and picked up some 3M adhesive spray and it made my job about a million times easier.
after the first two layers were formed and cured I attached a third layer and cut the two back pieces of the template together and kept the front piece separate. This made it so that when i attached the visor and ear layer of the template the only seams in the sheet metal would be covered by the mandibles. seamless is good!
Attachment 76197Attachment 76198
I cut out and attached the mandibles/earpiece base. Once it was all dried i cut out the cheeks and cheek bones. I knew the 3M wouldn't cut it to attach such a small surface area so i went with the tried and true JB weld (actually locktight brand but you know what I mean.)
Attachment 76199Attachment 76200
Theres my progress thus far! I am a little worried about the rigidity of the Epoxy weld because its humid as all hell today in Florida.
I think ill attempt the dome next. I am trying to avoid any serious grinding so I will be trying out some different techniques. I got an old batting helmet from play it again sports for 5 bucks that is close to the right size but will need to be cut to be the correct measurements. I will also attempt the template build using aluminum sheet metal.
- - - Updated - - -