Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 31, 2006, 12:40 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #76

Hey Eric makes me want to buy one now,I think I might just do that.Overall good progress.
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Aug 31, 2006, 8:53 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #77

great job =D
    Sep 11, 2006, 10:23 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #78

Updates???? I am dying to see your bucket..and for the record I think you should do progress pics of your paintjob!!
    Sep 12, 2006, 12:06 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #79

Yes please update us batninja...my Sgt. Fang should arrive any day now and I would love to see how your bucket is coming along...
    Sep 12, 2006, 12:15 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #80

Yeah, I need to get cracking on this thing again. I'm in the middle of an ammo belt run, but should be able to clear up my weekend to work on the helmet.

I got a new earcap from BobaMaker, and it ROCKS! I will still have to modify the earcap 'seat', as the BM cap is about an 1/8" taller than the seat. And as much as I hate to use it, I'll probably have to use Bondo to build up the seat a bit. I'll post progress pics when I get to that step.

Next steps: mandible cross-bar, fiberglassing the interior, and finishing the earcap prep.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Sep 12, 2006, 1:28 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #81

Lookin' forward to the updates Batninja! I just received my Sgt. Fang, and it looks like he beefed up the thickness in the areas around the rear vents (key slots). The resin looks thicker than in your previous post. The seam lines are still there, and the old RF earcap still comes with the set, but overall, it looks like there aren't any thin spots anymore.

Oh, and working with his resin mix is great! It's much easier to get clean cuts and smooth finishes compared to fiberglass. I'm not very skilled either way, but it's coming along faster and easier than my fiberglass bucket by a well known maker.

7. Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Sep 12, 2006, 8:43 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #82

hey batninja where do you get one of those stg fang helmets???can they resist the rain.if you get them fiber glassed?right....i've never done this before can someone help me out?
    Sep 12, 2006, 9:21 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #83

CARGO HOLD THERES A POST BY SGT FANG IN THERE oops sorry for the caps lock
    Nov 5, 2006, 4:17 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #84

updates? I ordered a SGTFang Helm and I'm planning on useing this post as a guide for my clean up. Looks great so far man but lets see more!
  10. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Nov 6, 2006, 11:53 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #85

Quote batninja said:
    Regular white model putty is what I'm using to fill in small holes. The brand is Squadron. I usually prefer Testors red putty, but the local HobbyTown was out of stock.
    Is this stuff expensive? I've been using bondo to shape the top and bottom edges of the blaster stock I'm working on, and yeah, I've discovered it's TOUGH to sand. I'd love to use something a little easier to work with, but that's still relatively cheap.

Can it be applied with bare hands? It would be great to have that "feel" when filling small areas.
    Last edited by kibosh; Nov 6, 2006 at 12:26 PM.
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 9, 2006, 1:53 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #86

Hey guys just a heads up- I just finished a new mold to replace the one I've been using all summer, and it's giving me much smoother finishes and paper thin seams! 8)

Also, I just started a third mold so that I can have two good molds going at once. That will really speed up my production time!

95.00 shipped in the US, 25.00 shipping eveywhere else.

Paypal to SgtFang@aol.com all other e-mail to allartistries@aol.com

Thanks!

-Sarge
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 9, 2006, 1:53 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #87

Hey guys just a heads up- I just finished a new mold to replace the one I've been using all summer, and it's giving me much smoother finishes and paper thin seams! 8)

Also, I just started a third mold so that I can have two good molds going at once. That will really speed up my production time!

95.00 shipped in the US, 25.00 shipping eveywhere else.

Paypal to SgtFang@aol.com all other e-mail to allartistries@aol.com

Thanks!

-Sarge
    Nov 9, 2006, 2:01 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #88

Hey Sarge,

Are you still offering the updated ear cap?

Cheers

Dan
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 9, 2006, 2:03 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #89

Quote mandalore697 said: View Post
    Hey Sarge,

Are you still offering the updated ear cap?

Cheers

Dan
    I still want to, but with Halloween and the old computer going out, I haven't had any time to do it yet.

-Sarge
    Nov 9, 2006, 2:21 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #90

I got a chance to check out Batninja's Sgt. Fang helmet when I was in Texas.

It's nice and light and looks really good.

I must say at this price it is a SUPER buy!
  16. Raith Panda
    Nov 10, 2006, 8:25 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #91

Iwas wondering sgt. how much would one of theez cost without shipping?
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 11, 2006, 3:19 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #92

Iwas wondering sgt. how much would one of theez cost without shipping?
    $95.00 and it would definately come in handy right about now. (Gotta get more resin ASAP!)

-Sarge
  18. Nov 11, 2006, 3:41 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #93

this helmet is looking great!
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:17 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #94

UPDATE 1/29/2007!

I haven't worked on the bucket in awhile, so I though I'd post an update. A few weeks ago, evan4218 fiberglassed the inside for strength (in preparation of the servo installation).

And since there was no football yesterday, I headed up to SpideyFett's house and did some more work.

I wasn't happy with the alignment of the earcap (wasn't flat), so we redid the magnet positioning, and performed a little Dremel-sanding on the inside of the earcap. These magnets are tough little boogers, and VERY STRONG! My only concern now is that they may affect the servo mechanism, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Ever since the fiberglassing, the mandibles tended to 'open' a little, creating a wider vertical slit than what I wanted, and wouldn't align properly to the horizontal slit I thought that maybe using Spidey-Fett's visor method would allow the visor to 'brace' the mandibles into the correct width. It worked like a charm!

My helmet has now been 'Spidey-fied' with his unique visor-mount system, involving the Forstner drill bit mentioned in his thread.

There's still some general cleanup to be done, and I'll be tackling that next weekend.

Next up:
    1) Paint inside
    2) Wet-sand and prime outside
    3) Install mesh in back (not going for accuracy here, folks!)
    4) Servo installation

I'll post more progress later. Enjoy!
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:21 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #95

that visor is sitting nice and flush!!!! Great job!
  21. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:28 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #96

BOUT TIME you updated this Thread!!

Hey and what kind of drill did you use to install those T-Nuts ???

Looking good "Bat Boy"!!

8)
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:29 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #97

Looking good Batninja!

Nice work and assists Alex and Justin!
  23. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:46 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #98

Wow, thanks batninja, I need this thread for my future Mistery Helmet. Thanks for make it and more progress but... without hurry!!!
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:55 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #99

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    Hey and what kind of drill did you use to install those T-Nuts ???
    "Secrets of Prop-Building 101":

Jan 29, 2007, 3:07 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #100

Wow! Looking good.