Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Aug 21, 2006, 11:11 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #51

oh ok. Yeah I hate the green stuff a lot. Where can I get the different colored stuff? my hobby shop only has green squadron and white testors.
  2. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Aug 21, 2006, 11:12 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #52

Quote batninja said: View Post
    I'm going to use one of HyperDyne's remote servo system for the stalk. I won't know exactly how I'll secure it until I get it. Until then, I'll just use a simple nut and bolt. In order to fit the nut flat under the earcap, I'll have to bevel out the stalk hole. SpideyFett has some pics of this in another thread, and I should be able to get the stalk beveled this weekend (I'll post pics).

awesome, thanks for reply. I'll have to subscribe to this thread.
    Aug 22, 2006, 12:59 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #53

Quote zombierepellent said: View Post
    oh ok. Yeah I hate the green stuff a lot. Where can I get the different colored stuff? my hobby shop only has green squadron and white testors.
    I got this from HobbyTownUSA, but I suppose most any brand will work.
    Aug 22, 2006, 6:40 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #54

You can also head over to your local automotive paint and body store and get a tube of glaze. It works very well, but bondo is king.
    Aug 22, 2006, 1:32 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #55

A slight detour...

While working with the stalk last night, I noticed that the seat for the stalk is just barely the same width as the stalk. When I install the servo system later, the stalk may produce a little unwanted friction when operating.

Looking at the screen-used helmet, I notice that the correct way to avoid this is to sand the seat toward the helmet, as the seat is not quite as thick on the movie helmet. However, I didn't want to take a chance on sanding too much or sanding unevenly.

So I took a spare piece of 1/16" styrene and made an 'extension' to widen the gap a little. I'll glue this to the exisiting seat, and putty/sand the edges until they're uniform.

More to follow...
    Aug 22, 2006, 1:52 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #56

Batninja, so your helmet had the stalk angle thing too?

I was looking at my BKBT stalk, lined up with my Sarge helmet, a couple of days ago. And, I had to shave off about that same amount of the RF stalk holder, as you have marked. Otherwise, that stalk just sits off angle, like in your photo.

No big deal, it just took a minute to trim. I thought it might've just been my helmet.
    Aug 24, 2006, 8:58 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #57

Update 8/24...

Over the last couple of days, I've worked alot on the stalk spacer. For more pictures, visit my PhotoBucket album: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...met/?start=all

Using Gorilla Glue (wonderful stuff!), I glued the spacer to the stalk seat:

After putty, sand and primer, you can see that the spacer worked perfectly!

I was so excited, I went ahead and did a base primer, just to see what it looked like. I sanded with 320-grit sandpaper, and did a final wet-sand with 400-grit. I need to grab some shots of the rear of the helmet, because it came out great!

Next step: I'll add a small brace between the front mandibles, and begin the white primer.
    Last edited by batninja; Aug 24, 2006 at 9:03 PM.
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:02 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #58

Looks great Eric!
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:06 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #59

UMMM..I think I need to hire you to do all my PREP work in the future...GREAT JOB!!
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:21 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #60

BN,

Did you ever reinforce the thin area by the keyholes? If so, how did you go about it? Just putty and sand? That area looks pretty scary... lol... I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it.

-Shawn
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:33 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #61

Looking FAN-Tastic Good job bud!
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:45 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #62

Quote Devilstar2k2 said: View Post
    BN,

Did you ever reinforce the thin area by the keyholes? If so, how did you go about it? Just putty and sand? That area looks pretty scary... lol... I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it.

-Shawn
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I used a few small dabs of JB Weld, and coated a few spots around the keyholes. I also used it to reinforce an area along the rear quarter, where I sanded too close to the edge.

I know alot of people use Bondo for things like this, but I don't. Bondo is very difficult to sand, and resin is very easy. Using Bondo to fill resin areas could result in over-sanding the resin.

I'll get pics up tomorrow.
    Aug 24, 2006, 9:53 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #63

I'll heed the warning and use the JB Weld... and model putty...
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Aug 24, 2006, 10:27 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #64

is resin like vinyl where if you heat it up you can bend it easily? On my bucket the right cheek seems to be puckered out a bit.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Aug 25, 2006, 9:13 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #65

"I'm going to use one of HyperDyne's remote servo system for the stalk. I won't know exactly how I'll secure it until I get it. Until then, I'll just use a simple nut and bolt. In order to fit the nut flat under the earcap, I'll have to bevel out the stalk hole. SpideyFett has some pics of this in another thread, and I should be able to get the stalk beveled this weekend (I'll post pics)."

Hey, I'm very new to all this and was wondering what a Hyperdyne Remote servo system is and what it does. Thanks.
    Aug 25, 2006, 9:51 AM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #66

http://hyperdynelabs.com/products_el...unterServo.php

It controls the up/down motion of the range finder. A bit on the expensive side, but a definite must-have for the 'wow' factor.
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Aug 25, 2006, 1:33 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #67

is resin like vinyl where if you heat it up you can bend it easily? On my bucket the right cheek seems to be puckered out a bit.
    You should be able to- I'd use a heat gun or boiling water if you have a pot big enough.

-Sarge
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Aug 25, 2006, 2:24 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #68

thanks for the info. Thats way cool.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Aug 29, 2006, 12:40 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #69

Mr. Ninja, any updates? I'm using this thread as 'instructions' for my SGT. Fang. Thanks.

Aug 30, 2006, 3:57 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #70

That's looking awesome!

I must admit I'm a complete newbie at this stuff. Infact I'm just about to embark on my first real Fett suit, where can I get a Sgtfang helmet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 30, 2006, 4:35 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #71

Quote MandalorFett said:
    Mr. Ninja, any updates? I'm using this thread as 'instructions' for my SGT. Fang. Thanks.
    I'm at a point where I'm going to require some outside assistance. Since I'm going to install a HyperDyne servo system, I want to reinforce the inside of the helmet with fiberglass. I'm getting with evan4218 in the next week or so, so keep watching for updated pics on that process.

Other than that, all that's really left is the final primer coat, and then the paintjob. And since so many others have done awesome jobs with their paint-ups, I'll leave that out of my progress thread.

Quote Slave-1 said:
    where can I get a Sgtfang helmet?
    Send a Private Message to SgtFang...he'll be glad to help you out!
    Aug 30, 2006, 4:49 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #72

Cheers batninja.
    Good luck with the bucket!
    I'll keep on checking on the progress.
    Aug 30, 2006, 5:09 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #73

How would you rate this helmet in terms of sturdiness, bat? Strong enough for trooping?
    Aug 30, 2006, 5:11 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #74

I owned one of these before, and had absolutely no problems with the sturdiness during trooping. As a matter of fact, the TDH member I sold it to still wears it to this day.

Also, this helmet is much lighter than others I've worn, so trooping was a breeze!
    Aug 30, 2006, 5:13 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #75

Wow, that was fast! You really are a ninja!

So strong but light? Sounds good.