Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 19, 2006, 4:30 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #26

Thanks for the comments!

I think I'll pass on the Borden connector for now. The one on the helmet is pretty clean, and once it's painted, I doubt it will make too much of a difference.

And no stencils, either. I'm painting this OLD SCHOOL, just like my last one. I'll see if I dig up a decent picture of it.
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Aug 19, 2006, 4:38 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #27

Mr. Bat, this is great! Showing your tools of the trade w/ comments on how and what to use. This is great, I'm going to follow this closely for techniques on my MS3 and SGT. Fang!

Aug 19, 2006, 5:31 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #28

awesome job man.
    Aug 19, 2006, 7:44 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #29

I tried something new for the keyholes. Using a large sanding wheel, I attempted to come from the inside of the keyhole out, hoping to sand away the entire hole at a time. However, I got very close to coming all the way through (see the fourth keyhole down). I'm going to use a few dabs of JB Weld to reinforce that area.

So I opted to use the cutting wheel to slice horizontally through the long part of the keyhole, and was able to clear away the majority of the hole. Then I used a small cutter-head, and cleared the top part of the hole. Afterwards, I used the X-Acto knife to trim the corners.

I've done some light sanding, but will work on it some more tomorrow. But for now, here are the keyholes:

I've also added some putty to the split-line, and will try to finish this up tomorrow afternoon.

Now back to vest-sewing!
    Last edited by batninja; Aug 19, 2006 at 8:08 PM.
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Aug 19, 2006, 7:51 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #30

Whew Bat ... you are really workin' hard right there! Really nice job so far! When you get to painting it, what scheme are you gonna use ... , , or ?
    Aug 19, 2006, 8:06 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #31

ESB. I like all the stickers and stuff.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:05 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #32

Mr. Bat,
    How do you get your lines cut so straight? I do it freehand, and slow, but if there's a way to cut straighter please let me know.
    Thanks!

Aug 19, 2006, 9:11 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #33

WOW...great work...you are a dremel JEDI
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:14 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #34

Using the fiberglass-reinforced cutting disc on a Dremel, I sliced through the backside of the keyholes, and carefully moved it up and down to 'sand' the area out. Afterwards, I used the X-Acto knife (with a NEW blade) to carefully shape the corner areas. This will take some time, so be patient and go slowly.

Let me know if that makes sense...
    Last edited by batninja; Aug 19, 2006 at 10:09 PM.
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:14 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #35

Quote DarthMiller said: View Post
    WOW...great work...you are a dremel JEDI
    I happen to have a Covertec clip for my rotary tool...
    Last edited by batninja; Aug 19, 2006 at 9:34 PM.
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:22 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #36

Great work....The helmet on the edge of the balcony makes me nervous
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:32 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #37

That's some mighty fine Dremel work so far!
    Since I have one of these on the way, I'm just curious about how much work I'll have to do to it.
    Is this area I've marked some kind of 'depression' in the surface? I'm wondering if it's something to be filled in, or if the angle of the lighting is making it look weird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress_5a.jpg 
Views:	2535 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	12141  
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:35 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #38

There is a slight depression there, same with my last one. But it's hardly noticeable once it's painted. I don't think I'm going to fill it in. That'd be like 'correcting' the wavy brow on an ESB bucket.
    Aug 19, 2006, 9:38 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #39

Good deal. Thanks for the info.
    By the way. . . you always reply so fast to questions.
    It's as if you're some kind of. . . I dunno. . . a small flying mammal with Oriental assassin-type qualities or something!
  15. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Aug 20, 2006, 1:46 AM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #40

Your not done yet??? I thought for sure this thing would've been painted by now..

Looking good bro...and got the "thingy" today...:thumbup
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Aug 20, 2006 at 1:06 PM.
    Aug 20, 2006, 11:46 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #41

I've done the preliminary sanding on the imperfections along the rear quarter of the helmet. There are a couple of spots to re-putty, and I'll post pictures tomorrow.

As for the keyslots, I'm not happy with the thickness of the resin in that area; it's not uniform on all the slots. I may fabricate a keyslot board out of a spare piece of styrene, and install it instead. I'll have to sleep on the idea. It would be a shame to replace that after all the work I did to hollow out the original slots.

More to follow tomorrow...
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Aug 21, 2006, 1:10 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #42

Mr. Bat,
    I'm a total noob when it comes to this type of hobby work. Thanks for all the step-by-step info. I'll push my luck a little further and ask, how do you keep the cut lines so straight on the mandibles and visor area with the Dremmel? Also, what kind/brand of filler putty are you using? I noticed you're not using Bondo.

Thanks.

Aug 21, 2006, 1:48 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #43

To me, Bondo is great if you're restructuring something (i.e. building a helmet from scratch or making major repairs), and it's very difficult to sand. Since the mystery helmet is resin, I needed something that sanded easier.

Regular white model putty is what I'm using to fill in small holes. The brand is Squadron. I usually prefer Testors red putty, but the local HobbyTown was out of stock.

As for the straight lines, all I can suggest is patience. This is my fourth career helmet, and it gets a little easier each time. If you're using a variable speed Dremel, keep the speed around 5. Do one section at a time, and be aware of where your blade is at all times. Going slower will keep you from having to putty/sand a section later.

I don't draw any cutting lines on the helmet, but maybe that might help others.

Also, after any Dremel drum-sanding, go over the area with regular sandpaper. This helps to flatten out edges as well.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Aug 21, 2006, 5:12 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #44

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    That's some mighty fine Dremel work so far!
    Since I have one of these on the way, I'm just curious about how much work I'll have to do to it.
    Is this area I've marked some kind of 'depression' in the surface? I'm wondering if it's something to be filled in, or if the angle of the lighting is making it look weird.
    It does look like a depression, you might want to fill it in with more puddy and sand it down.
    Aug 21, 2006, 6:38 PM - Re: BatNinja's Bucket - Progress Thread #45

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    It does look like a depression, you might want to fill it in with more puddy and sand it down.
    Yes, GCN, I verified that in post #38. It is a depression, and I decided to add a small bit of putty to even it out. It's not very pronounced, and the final paintjob will hide most of it anyway.

Most of the fill work is done now, and I'll do some more sanding later this afternoon. I'll do some wet-sanding and then a coat of primer sometime this week.
    Aug 21, 2006, 9:17 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #46

Okay, I just sanded some some, and I'm happy with the overall look of the rear quarter:

I've also worked a bit more on the keyholes:

One thing I forgot to do was trim the 'stop' on the right earcap. I bought a new accurate BKBT stalk, and due to the angle, I'll have to trim a little off the resin (see the pencil marks):

I've still got some areas to go over again, but I should be pretty close to the first coat of primer. The paint will help me determine if there are any more issues.
    Aug 21, 2006, 9:32 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #47

Looking good man, you sure are moving fast on that bad boy!
  23. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Aug 21, 2006, 10:08 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #48

Quote batninja said: View Post
    Okay, I just sanded some some, and I'm happy with the overall look of the rear quarter:

I've also worked a bit more on the keyholes:

One thing I forgot to do was trim the 'stop' on the right earcap. I bought a new accurate BKBT stalk, and due to the angle, I'll have to trim a little off the resin (see the pencil marks):

I've still got some areas to go over again, but I should be pretty close to the first coat of primer. The paint will help me determine if there are any more issues.
    Nice work so far! if you dont mind my asking, how are you going to put the stalk in? with a small screw or something?
  24. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Aug 21, 2006, 10:15 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #49

whats a covertec clip?

my squadron is green. I hate it
    Aug 21, 2006, 11:05 PM - Re: SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread #50

Quote Hammer of Might said: View Post
    Nice work so far! if you dont mind my asking, how are you going to put the stalk in? with a small screw or something?
    I'm going to use one of HyperDyne's remote servo system for the stalk. I won't know exactly how I'll secure it until I get it. Until then, I'll just use a simple nut and bolt. In order to fit the nut flat under the earcap, I'll have to bevel out the stalk hole. SpideyFett has some pics of this in another thread, and I should be able to get the stalk beveled this weekend (I'll post pics).

Quote zombierepellent said: View Post
    whats a covertec clip?

my squadron is green. I hate it
    A CoverTec clip (used for cell phones) is what the prequel Jedis use to hold their lightsabers to their belts. Since I'm a Dremel Jedi, I hang my Dremel...never mind, you get the idea.

I can't stand green Squadron putty. I know there are those that use it exclusively, but I was never happy with the drying time and the hardness. It just didn't seem as easy to sand as the white stuff.