Subscribe
    Jan 31, 2011, 8:20 PM - Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #1

Ok, so I have been making good progress on my "Fang" Mystery Helmet these past couple of weeks. Will be posting some pics up soon but my main question is do I put fiberglass on the inside of the helmet? I have seen several posts from members that did it and I like the idea of it being stronger (I do tend to be a little bit of a klutz sometimes!) but is it worth it?

The thing that makes me nervous is several people that did the fiberglassing mentioned that it pulled the mandibles apart.

If you do recommend it would I need to do two layers of fiberglassing or would one be enough?

Thanks all!
  2. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Feb 1, 2011, 4:32 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #2

It really depends on how strong the resin is , ive seen it done a few times after people have droped theres an it craked if yours feels prone to doing this then go for it , FG is nothing to be scared of it is good to use and will stangthen your lid,
    One thing i see people do wrong when they lay FGis the use a cross threed weave matting or FG tape ,
    Always go for the chopped weave, looking at it you'd think itd bee messyer and harder, this is not the case,
    as you can cut the peices to any shape and just paintem in there and thel go with the reat of the fg you lay ,
    And as for how many layers just coat the inside with a good laminating resin , if its cold over there add more catalist than advised i always add more it tends to work better this way, , so do a good coat of laminate and then add your FG choped weave whist the laminate is still taki not wet but taki cut all fg first and have scizors on hand lay your FGmatting coat over each peice then when its dryish give it a good sand to remove any barbs, as they will kill when you get splinters in your head or hands, so good sand then coat with laminate(also known as fiberglass resin) let it dry dfeel inside if its not sooth and doesnt feel right ,(remember this will be on your head) give it another coat of laminate, .
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 1, 2011, 6:11 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #3

Fang helmets can be pretty flexible, I've never had one break on me. If you do want to glass it, one or two fiberglass layers should be more than enough.
    Feb 1, 2011, 7:30 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #4

Great Thanks Jinto and GCNGamer!
  5. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Feb 3, 2011, 2:48 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #5

sorry i get carried away some times and start ranting
    Feb 3, 2011, 7:40 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #6

Ha! Thats funny. I didn't think you were ranting. I was intently reading and making mental notes. Appreciate it!
  7. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Feb 3, 2011, 7:51 AM - Re: Sgt. Fang helmet and Fiberglass Question #7

I wanted to try this out so I made a slush cast resin helmet from one of my molds
    did about 6 thin layers of poly then I used Fg laminating resin to give the whole inside a coat ,
    then layed down sone choped weave FG matting then 1 good coat of laminate res, let it dry then sanded it down then another coat of laminate tomorow ill see i need to give it 1 more coat,
    If youd like ill put some pix up
    Last edited by BGHunter; Feb 4, 2011 at 4:43 AM.