See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

  1. #1
    mobius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland
    Posts
    424

    See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    I got the rangefinder to work follow this link.

    I Got me a RC car for 10 dollars, a servo and managed to get it to work. Will post pic of the process.

    Here is a new windows media file I made today, better lighting.

    http://frontpage.simnet.is/mobius/Rangefinderweb1.wmv

    I begun by taking apart the RC car and take out the RC board like krillindb describes in his tutorial here http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=6527&forum=2

    Here Im fitting it to a hole I made in the back interior that I made remember.

    Perfect fit.

    Next I put some tape over the board and hot glued it in place and taped the wires down. You can see that I cut out a square in the top to fit the on/off button I took from the car. I also drilled two holes so I could put the wires through that connect to the power supply and the servo. I then put the net over it and fit in over the key slots.


    I drilled out a hole in the helmet were the rangefinder sits. I used fiberglass to secure 4 bolts, I glued the rangefinder to a small disk that screws to the servo.
    The servo rests on 4 nuts that are screwed on the bolts in the right height and then I secured the servo with another 4 nuts.

    The hole I drilled out with my dremmel.

    And then the finishing touch. As you can see I hid the wires under the interior.










  2. #2
    mobius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland
    Posts
    424

    See my RC rangefinder work.

    Note Im wearing my new TDH T-shirt I got last night.

  3. #3
    Tim Allen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2002
    From
    THE OC , Southern Cali
    Posts
    1,350

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work.

    Haha thats pretty cool man, excellent job

  4. #4
    StarChild's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2003
    From
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    189

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work.

    Sweet! Now make a tutorial!

    David

  5. #5
    Admin Staff webchief's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,702

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work.

    Looks great! I just got a servo this week to do this. I had a remote controlled rangefinder back at Celebration 2 but the thing ended up breaking and I've been wanting to install a new one since.

  6. #6
    krillindb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2003
    From
    Grantham, PA
    Posts
    473

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work.


    dcwheaton wrote:

    Sweet! Now make a tutorial!

    David
    Actually He used my tutorial as a starting point. You can see it here:
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=6527&forum=2
    Enjoy.

    And mobius, Very nice work my friend glad to see it worked for you.

  7. #7

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added"

    sweet...i have to get this done to my helmet.

  8. #8

    Member Since
    Nov 2003
    From
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    458

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    Awesome - excellent work as usual Mobius!

    Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

    Loranar

  9. #9
    mobius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland
    Posts
    424

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file


    Loranar_Fett wrote:


    Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

    Loranar
    No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

    I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. Im gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and im gonna put them in each of the ear interior.

  10. #10

    Member Since
    Nov 2003
    From
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    458

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file


    mobius wrote:


    Loranar_Fett wrote:


    Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

    Loranar
    No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

    I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. Im gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and im gonna put them in each of the ear interior.
    Cool - Thanks. I was actually going to suggest the battery pack idea. I liked the idea for mounting the servo - good thinking

  11. #11
    mobius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland
    Posts
    424

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file


    Loranar_Fett wrote:


    mobius wrote:


    Loranar_Fett wrote:


    Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

    Loranar
    No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

    I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. Im gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and im gonna put them in each of the ear interior.
    Cool - Thanks. I was actually going to suggest the battery pack idea. I liked the idea for mounting the servo - good thinking
    Yeas I decided to use something strong to hold the servo in place. I was thinking about secureing the servo permanently. But then I found out that if it would break I would have hell of a time removing it. So I used the bolts.

    I hot glued the rangefinder to the servo, wich was inside the helmet at that time but not fastend. I hot glued the cover on the left ear and that way the rangefinder was inplace. I then roateded the servo in to the desired postion and but fiberglass resin under and over the bolts and let cure for 10 min.

    Then I removed the cap, rangefinder form the servo and begun wiring it and bolting the servo in place.

    I am able to remove the rangefinder from the servo by unscrewing on screw.

  12. #12

    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Tennessee
    Posts
    218

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    Man you do great work. First the interior, now this. What's next? Keep it up!

    TK0907/Chris

  13. #13
    mobius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland
    Posts
    424

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    Im not sure, thinking about making a blaster, continue the jet pack.

  14. #14
    TK-1776's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    From
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    461

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    Man, I wish I wasn't mechanically retarded! I'd love to do what you've done. That is very cool! Maybe some day I'll have enough patience + knowledge to do it. Good luck!

    John
    TK-1776

  15. #15
    TK-1776's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    From
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    461

    Re: See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

    And your video of the working rangefinder was great!

    John
    TK-1776

Similar Threads

  1. WiP: Vash's "Proof" Arc Reactor from Iron Man attempt - NEW PICS AND VIDEO
    By VashDstampede in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Sep 23, 2009, 10:27 PM
  2. Showoff: Chewbacca just got an upgrade "video"
    By Man of War Studios in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2009, 5:33 PM
  3. *Official* What do you use as your "FETT WORK SPACE"?
    By DarthVader1 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: Jul 2, 2009, 10:04 PM
  4. Rangefinder stalk "taper" measurements?
    By DL44 Blaster in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 27, 2005, 3:05 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •