Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Jan 21, 2006, 11:08 PM - is scratch built a way to go #1

hello fellows. i was just wondering if it is a good idea to start a fett helmet from scratch and if so i would like some blueprints or measurements to get me started.

any reply would be helpful. thanx
  2. formerly joNich
    Jan 21, 2006, 11:15 PM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #2

scratch built is going to be a looong and very tedious way to go...

and dude...just like 3 topics below...
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=10497
    Jan 22, 2006, 7:26 AM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #3

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=9771

See my thread on scratch building, it is a very long road and the finished product isn't going to be screen accurate.........but there is one hell of a lot of satisfaction when you achieve the right shape
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Jan 22, 2006, 11:53 AM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #4

I am following the lead of Kripps, and building a scratch built bucket, too. It is slow, but that's because I work 50-60 hours a week and have a young son and a lot of other time commitments. I would think a young guy with energy to burn could bang one out fairly quick.

I personally am building it from scratch because I want this costume to be all mine. Everything will be crafted to me. I love Fett, but this is also a personal challenge. MS, BM, etc. all make absolutely AMAZING pieces, but they're just not for me. That stuff is theirs, and like I said, fantastic. Plus, I don't have the funds for it. My wife doesn't bother me too much about my Star Wars fanatism, but she would really get on me if I spent thousands of dollars on a costume!

It's all a personal choice. If you want the best, most accurate costume, certainly go with some of the stuff offered here. I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you want a costume just for you, give scratch building a go. When it's said and done, my bucket, before paint, will cost around $30, and that includes $15 for the batting helmet.

And I'm pretty sure everything on Fett was scratch bulit for the movie, so I think scratch built is MORE screen accurate!
    Jan 22, 2006, 3:08 PM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #5

Kibosh - that is exactly what i feel. There is stuff out there 100% than my stuff, but it is not mine. My Fett costume is going to be all mine, a personal challange like you said.

Put it there chap Bring on the scratch builts
    Jan 22, 2006, 3:18 PM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #6

Well gents,
    I concur. I also wish I had the funds to buy pieces from the above mentioned artists.......but I don't so I'll build everything myself.
    The helmet has most definately become an obsession for me. This is my 4th and hopefully, actually......with WOF's templates I know this will be my last. There is a certain satisfaction with building things yourself.
    Good luck with either decision you make.

Josh
    Jan 22, 2006, 10:40 PM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #7

Quote albertabeeffett said:
    hello fellows. i was just wondering if it is a good idea to start a fett helmet from scratch and if so i would like some blueprints or measurements to get me started.

any reply would be helpful. thanx
    well, i would say scratch built if u don't wanna spend a lot of money, but if have a lot, i say buy one instead. i think the highest helmets can go is 150 dollars.
    Jan 22, 2006, 10:56 PM - Re: is scratch built a way to go #8

Depending on where you live, conversion and shipping rates can make some helmets over $250. Bobamaker's, for example, is listed as $230 USD for the deluxe helmet, not including shipping to the states.