Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Scratch building Ralph McQuarrie concept helmet.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Re: Scratch building Ralph McQuarrie concept helmet.

Well, I've been lurking on this thread long enough.

Everything looks incredible!

At first, when you widened the visor area, I didn't like it, because it didn't 'look' right. But after examining the source illustrations, I have to conclude that it is pretty damned close. You've done a great job, and if/when you decide to mold/cast these, I'm on board for a copy.

Question, though: Should there be two 'divisions' of the upper cheek, under the mandibles? It's hard to tell if McQuarrie was intending for the first division to be an actual separation, or if it's just supposed to be a shadow. There seems to be evidence for both.

Please keep up the good work!

rubio95 said: View Post
    Question, though: Should there be two 'divisions' of the upper cheek, under the mandibles? It's hard to tell if McQuarrie was intending for the first division to be an actual separation, or if it's just supposed to be a shadow. There seems to be evidence for both.
    Thanks Rubio95.

The “division” or “shadow” of the lower cheek took me a while and I made an educated guess. I went for shadow, it matches the cast angle and grey tone seen in the rest of the illustration. Also on close inspection the dark part runs a bit over the top of the circle on the left-hand cheek. If it was a separation that would seem odd, however a shadow could do this.

There are more inconsistencies, on the side elevation of the helmet the range finder is dead center of the helmet, but the frontal/quarter drawing shows it to be positioned more forward above the cheek. Again I had to choose and went for the forward position.

It can be brain wreaking to build a 3D model based on sketches, but it’s also fun to witness the study and evolution process of the designer.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

OnnoHeesbeen said: View Post
    Thanks Rubio95.

The “division” or “shadow” of the lower cheek took me a while and I made an educated guess. I went for shadow, it matches the cast angle and grey tone seen in the rest of the illustration. Also on close inspection the dark part runs a bit over the top of the circle on the left-hand cheek. If it was a separation that would seem odd, however a shadow could do this.

There are more inconsistencies, on the side elevation of the helmet the range finder is dead center of the helmet, but the frontal/quarter drawing shows it to be positioned more forward above the cheek. Again I had to choose and went for the forward position.

It can be brain wreaking to build a 3D model based on sketches, but it’s also fun to witness the study and evolution process of the designer.
    Jeez, you're absolutely correct! I missed that detail....this pic shows off what you're saying:

Either way, it's quite obvious that you've spent a lot of time contemplating the helmet's design before you began sculpting. That's so awesome!

I look forward to more updates. And remember what I said about casting....

rubio95 said: View Post
    And remember what I said about casting....
    I’ll keep it in mind, though I have no idea how to mold and cast it.

I like to experiment…so I made a couple of stickers of the mandibles, one for each side, just to see how it would look if Mc Quarrie envisioned them as painted on patterns. The stickers are made of material used in the old days of advertising design, so easy to remove without damaging the paint job.

…my conclusion, it’s not bad looking and could fit the style, however from a frontal look at the helmet I get a humoristic feeling, like staring into a clowns face or that mask from “V for Vendetta”. Probably because it has the visual effect of making the face wider. The cheekbones left all white gives a more serious/mysterious look, more fitting for Boba Fett.

Any thought? Just curious…

From
    Tasmania Australia

Really cool build. Nice work.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

I like the new cheek addition, I say keep it.

20131019_000058-jpg

now you can use the patch on the rest of the armor

From
    Deventer

Great work of Art!I wish I had your skills

Ziet er grandioos uit!
    Ga je de hele uitrusing doen of blijft t bij de helm?

Zelf ben ik aan de Jetpack bezig , daarna ga ik aan het armor beginnen.
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f45/r...project-48556/
    Last edited by Meneer Troepert; Oct 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM.

From
    Ireland

Looks absolutely super cool finished!!! love it

Thanks for the complements all! It has been a fun project so far. Especially like exploring the sketches and getting into the mind of the artist.

For now I think I’ll only leave it with the helmet, doesn’t take up as much space. I enjoyed the McQuarrie concept build and am thinking of do several more in the future, starting with the McQuarrie Darth Vader helmet, with the elongated “snout”. But that’s a project that still needs to for in my head.

Meneer Troepert said: View Post
    Zelf ben ik aan de Jetpack bezig , daarna ga ik aan het armor beginnen.
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f45/r...project-48556/
    Dat ziet er top uit, benieuwd hoe je het verder gaat aanpakken.

From
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands

zie ik hier misschien een coloboratie onstaan, zien er beiden goed uit.

like the job on the helmet, made my self a cardboard Boba helmet. had a lot of fun to work with the W.O.F.TEMPLATES.

From
    Denver, CO

Looks really really nice now.......... great job cleaning up those lines......

Wow! That is gorgeous! Great job. I'd be interested in one if you start making kits.

Dulla73 said: View Post
    zie ik hier misschien een coloboratie onstaan,
    Je weet maar nooit!

Your cardboard helmet looks nice, real useful that W.O.F. template

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

For those interested, I made a start on a Darth Vader concept helmet, here s the link to the thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f45/s...76/#post615871

Come to think of it, I never posted a picture of me wearing the helmet ( for size reference) so here is me!

From
    DeKalb, IL

How large and with what margins did you print the helmet .pdf? Assuming you used the WOF templates, of course.

I am very desperate to find out as I am trying to get all my templates printed out and finished.

Hey Sorry for the late reaction, I haven't been on the forum a few months. I did use the WOF templates, but I imported them to Illustrator to tweak the design so it would look like the concept helmet. I also roughly scaled it so it would fit my head (first made a simple mold from cardboard strips that fitted my head so I measure height with etc) these measurements I used to scale the tweaked drawings for printing.

From
    Melbourne, Australia

Awesome build man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk